Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Sri Lanka & just recently sat in a 2014 i3 with 22k on the clock & can you believe it, 19.1kW/h on the battery condition. I got the reading from the secret menu on the on-board computer. 19.1kW/h is as good as brand new! can this be? or has it been tampered with?

Jeremy

·
Registered
650 Posts
I thought that the early i3 had 18.8kW usable battery so not sure what value you are reading - possibly the total capacity which I guess would have been initially around 20.8kWh? Anecdotal evidence suggest that i3 (and other EV’s) battery life is much better than originally thought - possibly hundreds of thousands of miles - so if it has been driven efficiently and hasn’t been frequently rapid charged then I guess your figures are quite possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that the early i3 had 18.8kW usable battery so not sure what value you are reading - possibly the total capacity which I guess would have been initially around 20.8kWh? Anecdotal evidence suggest that i3 (and other EV’s) battery life is much better than originally thought - possibly hundreds of thousands of miles - so if it has been driven efficiently and hasn’t been frequently rapid charged then I guess your figures are quite possible.
you're right; 18.8 is the "usable" capacity of the 22.5kW/h battery in this i3. but I've read & also found to be true that this figure, both on the onboard computer & the user interface can vary up to almost 2kW/h.... so is not the most accurate. Still I was quite surprised to read a 'new-car' reading of 19.1 on the 6 year old car; but as you say these are great batteries & also depends on usage.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you get to the secret menu, would be good to check my battery condition.
Well Andy, I just Googled 'BMW i3 secret menu' and voila! Actually I didn't know about it until I accidentally stumbled upon it!
All the best!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts