Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new Ampera today. Sales rep said they couldn't bring in any more cars until they have sold the existing UK stock. Guess that's why there are some good deals around.

She had no info on the new model. She expected the battery range to go up, but I read an article quoting the head of GM saying it was going DOWN. The batteries cost £12k alone so they aren't making money on the Ampera. He says most journeys don't need 40 miles.

Anybody got any more info on the new model?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I don't think that many details have been released yet, as it not expected for at least 12 months yet. Expecting a slightly smaller battery and a more efficient petrol/Diesel engine.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Clearly this hybrid is an ICE first and foremost, and an EV very much last. With recharging limited to 'fast' and a design that kills the ICE around 18mph and slower - fine, if that's your bag, but I much prefer being wholly reliant on battery power - and enjoy the cost savings!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Clearly this hybrid is an ICE first and foremost, and an EV very much last. With recharging limited to 'fast' and a design that kills the ICE around 18mph and slower - fine, if that's your bag, but I much prefer being wholly reliant on battery power - and enjoy the cost savings!
A design that kills the ICE around 18mph and slower? and an Ev very much last? Which car are you talking about? This is the Ampera/Volt part of the forum... you're not thinking of the Prius are you?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Generic for hybrids.. Apologies if your Amp manages its 40m without the ICE starting - however, my Twizy similarly reached 42 miles (in Summer!) but the cost at the factory gaffes still remains prohibitive for what it is.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buzby...the Ampera isn't a hybrid. Do you know the difference between:

Electric (eg yours, leaf, zoe, i3 bev)
Hybrid eg Prius, yaris hybrid
PHEV eg mitsubishi outlander
Electric rex eg Ampera, i3Rex

Genuine question...not teaching granny to suck eggs but your facts are inaccurate.

Each have their pros and cons but are a step in the right direction until batteries and charging networks mean that ALL journeys can be done on ALL electric.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The description is not as 'fixed' as you like to think. Look also at the supposed (mis) descriptions of charging types - Slow /Fast/Rapid. So with respect, lighten up! Anything that isn't pure is a hybrid (note the lack of a capital letter). I'm too old to change from the descriptions I've been using since 2007 (when I got my first EV and there were no Phev or REx's). The description is still correct and valid to the point being made - the Ampera is a mix of technologies to hybrid is acceptable, or bastard, if you prefer?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Buzby...in what way do I need to 'lighten up'? Have you just come into the GM thread to troll?

The reality is that I'd love to go all electric, but the problem is that it just isn't practical for me...and sadly, for the majority of the population. I'm hoping to do 80 to 85% of my driving on electric...but safe in the knowledge that I can safely get to my destination, in good time and with passengers/luggage, for the occasions I need to go further. The alternative is to have an electric car AND an ICE...unless Tesla want to hugely drop their prices.

It's all a step in the right direction I say...but anyway, we've gotten off topic. :oops:

·
Registered
178 Posts
It all depends on the user.
My Ampera is a EV 95% of the year and a ICE for the other 5% when I go on holiday to places like Austria.
Doing such holiday trips to Austria is just not comfortably possible in any pure EVs at the moment except maybe the Tesla Roadster or S.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Worth noting that in the US they found that Volt owners were doing more EV miles than LEAF owners, because the confidence the patrol "back up" gave them.

I'd sooner we were all pure BEV, but you have to be realistic that it just wont work, or appeal, to all.

Cars the the BMW i3 REx, Volt/Ampera, Outlander PHEV and so on are a brilliant entry route to the world of EVs for those who can't (or don't want to) make the leap to pure BEV in one go.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
That's quite interesting to note, I guess that leaf owners would typically be 'lower' mileage drivers in the first place, which is why they looked at a pure BEV, whereas Volt owners would be higher mileage drivers looking to reduce their running costs.
Because you can run the Volt/Ampera to empty, with no ill effects, it is quite reasonable to have multiple charges in a day, without having to worry about finding a place to charge enough to complete a journey.
I got over 2.5 full charges out of my Ampera on Tuesday this week, but the day before had only managed one and a little bit, mixed in with a lot of petrol driving....

·
Registered
654 Posts
Not so. I have a leaf and have done 17000 miles in 10 months. Also taken long distance trips of over 250 miles. I opted for a BEV because a petrol/electric is just an electric assisted ICE IMHO.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Not so. I have a leaf and have done 17000 miles in 10 months. Also taken long distance trips of over 250 miles. I opted for a BEV because a petrol/electric is just an electric assisted ICE IMHO.
I agree to a certain extent.
If I not used the car for normal counting and weekend trips, a BEV would have been my choice, but as I need to be able to jump in the car at 5 minutes notice and drive 200-300 miles for work, a REX gives me the worst of both worlds, but with the flexibility I want/need.

On the flip side, my wife drives under 5000 miles per year in her car, and when it finally becomes time to replace it, I suspect we will almost certainly go BEV for her :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts