Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is an old chestnut, I'm still reading/learning.

Thinking of buying a 2015 (Q210?) Zoe to use spare PV electricity and save old Audi that is getting long in the tooth, and trying to assess risk. It's the battery that obviously worries me. I know I can by an OBD2 dongle and load canZE but not sure I know how to interpret quite what it tells me. If 2 pedal reset has been recently done or the BMS update has been done, will I be looking at somewhat misleading info until car has done quite a few more miles? Longest planned journey is about 50 miles round trip to Hereford once a week for Samaritans duty, otherwise just the odd 15 mile local round trip.

Advice, encouragement or dire warnings all appreciated.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
CanZE will give you a State of Health reading (SOH).

But then you need to work out if the BMS firmware has been updated.

Are you planning on buying a battery lease car?

·
Registered
80 Posts
CanZE with an OBD dongle will give you the true SOH figure as a simple percentage, where 100% is a perfect battery. Just press the 'battery' button in CanZE, you can't miss it. As a guide though, the early Zoes had excellent batteries that really didn't degrade much at all. When we sold our 2014 Q210 last year, it was still on 98% SOH.

Renault went above and beyond in protecting the batteries (often to the detriment of the user - e.g. horrendously slow rapid charging when cold, neighbour complaint-inducing noise from the AC and fans when slow charging in summer temperatures, etc.) and they have aged far better than pretty much all other early EVs.

These early Zoes had a problem with their BMS that caused the SOH reading to be lower than it actually was - there was a software update for this that was released in 2016, so if you find a Zoe with a suspiciously low SOH it's likely missing that update.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
As @yoh-there posted some tome ago check the level in the Firmware tab of canze

1 - 6 of 6 Posts