Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

I was wondering everytime i let off my gas pedal my motor shuts down for fuel effencientcy. also if im at a red light my car is shut down, until i let of my break.
isn't this bad for the car or is the GTE designed handle this a million times to be shutdown?
Also does anyone here has experience coding it out some way?

Kind regards,

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,002 Posts
It’s designed that way, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

The engine starting is performed by the traction motor that is sandwiched between the engine and DSG gearbox, so there’s no starter motor or other bits to wear out.

It’s also why the car has a more frequent oil and filter change regime to account for the times the engine will be asked to go from off to on whilst cold and possibly at motorway speeds etc.

I ran one for over 90k miles, and it was still in peak health when I sold it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The wear caused from stop start is grossly exaggerated. Even on a non-hybrid vehicle there is limited area for concern.

The GTE turns the engine over occasionally to keep galleys lubricated. You can actually see this at a red light on colder days on the "consumption" pane, the power meter will occasionally bump up from ~0.4kW to ~1kW as the engine is rotated. This is unique to "proper" hybrids like the GTE, regular stop-start cars cannot do this.

The biggest wear comes from cold starts. It's best to start the engine under little load as the lubrication/oil pressure can take a moment to get up to full and colder oil is less good at lubricating (although the standard fully synthetic 10W30 that the GTE uses is pretty good even when cold.) General rule is before giving the car any aggressive acceleration on hybrid mode, wait for the 'E-mode lockout' to go away. This is the indication that E-mode isn't available, as the car is still trying to warm up the engine and get everything in good order before it allows it to shut down. You've probably heard that for a regular car, avoid aggressive acceleration until the car has warmed up. The same is true for the GTE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts