Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning - this video depicts a distressing collision which led to our i3 being written off.
No blood or anything but some fruity / NSFW language.
Here's a link to the video. We were doing 20mph, other party slightly more.

Not sure there's anything I could have done to avoid this. Take care folks!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Really surprised at the way in which your car span round and into the parked car in the side road.

The other driver had no excuse, you had right of way, she just didn't stop at the give way line. Did she eventually accept that she was 100% in the wrong?

You must have been so glad of that dashcam.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,246 Posts
WTF?

Was that women screaming that YOU crashed into HER?
Following insurers advice, never to admit liability, I guess?

Yeah, sort of funny in a black sort of way. Eh? What's here expectation here?

I hope you are OK, it is surprising the level of neck injury that can arise from what seems like a simple knock like that. Not being funny but just ask your GP for a once-over.

i3 Rex ... probably would have gone wrong next week anyway .... ;)

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,696 Posts
What are the odds she was on her phone while driving? Bad luck that written off at only 20mph crazy, not even an unmarked crossroad, hope she realised her error in the end.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was the front of the car. Quite a lot of damage, and some sinister indications of subframe damage I think.
No airbags, thankfully, but the screen cracked (again, bad news).

The other party's insurance company accepted liability once they saw the video.
The other driver was also referred to the police for driving and public order offences - the Met were unsurprisingly not that interested.

I have some annoying and frustrating after-effects from this...
After a lot of very frustrating wrangling with our insurer we replaced the car with an almost identical 2016 94Ah REX.
The whole thing has probably cost us £2.5k plus we now have a hugely increased premium (despite this being 100% demonstrably non-fault).

:(

Reactions: Jon72

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Unbelievable reaction from the other driver. You can only assume she was suffering shock or was high! 'How f***ing dare you' for being crashed into whilst minding your own business. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Unbelievable reaction from the other driver. You can only assume she was suffering shock or was high! 'How f***ing dare you' for being crashed into whilst minding your own business. :rolleyes:
I took her ranting and shouting as a confirmation that she had completely failed to see the give way lines and so somehow believed she had right of way. But then when coming up to a cross roads and not seeing any give way lines on any road, surely you would check for traffic? Obviously not in this case!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
This was the front of the car. Quite a lot of damage, and some sinister indications of subframe damage I think.
No airbags, thankfully, but the screen cracked (again, bad news).

The other party's insurance company accepted liability once they saw the video.
The other driver was also referred to the police for driving and public order offences - the Met were unsurprisingly not that interested.

I have some annoying and frustrating after-effects from this...
After a lot of very frustrating wrangling with our insurer we replaced the car with an almost identical 2016 94Ah REX.
The whole thing has probably cost us £2.5k plus we now have a hugely increased premium (despite this being 100% demonstrably non-fault).

:(

View attachment 127494
For such a clear cut case its so wrong you were left out of pocket. Unfortuntely this often seems to be the case.

The positive from this is that you are ok, health and well being is priceless.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Unbelievable. I'm afraid my inbuilt never suffer fools gladly reflex would see me shouting and swearing back at her...... Someone shouts at me, I shout back!

Isn't this why most of have this additional insurance thingy tacked onto our policy?

Glad to see there were no serious injuries.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Maybe use a small claims case to recover your remaining loses (including increased insurance costs) directly from the other driver.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What an idiotic woman. They should throw the book at her - with at least 6 points, a hefty fine, and she should personally cover your 2.5K losses. Dash-cams should come fitted as standard on all cars now. Glad you were ok physically.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Glad you are okay. I would be furious and suspect she was probably texting or reading phone. She hadn't even slowed down?! There are clear give way signs ffs!

It's a shame there wasn't a crystal clear shot of her staring at her phone on the dashcam.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would not drive any car without a dash cam fitted its an absolute must.
Why these are not fitted as standard is mind boggling.
Hope you are ok and as others have said sue her for your out of pocket expenses.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to mention in the first post, she actually punched the passenger side window (you can hear it in the video) and sprayed it with spit when she was shouting. Scary reaction, I think she needs to deal with some maturity and emotional intelligence issues! If I'd got out of the car, I think she might have swung for me. So I decided to stay put and let her vent off some steam. I think I was in shock dealing with the adrenaline.

Not to dwell on it but the scary thing is that I ride motorbikes in London as well - had I been on my bike in the same place at the same time I could have easily lost my leg, advanced rider or not. Likewise if there had been a kid cycling to school. So pretty disappointing that the police aren't interested in this sort of crime. I agree with what someone said - I would think this sort of very obviously road traffic crime would be a cut-and-dried 6 points, but I'm not even sure they will properly investigate TBH. Maybe other forces would, but not the Met.

It didn't occur to me that we should have launched a claim directly against her insurer; maybe that would have been better.
Hers was a black-box policy from a company that also own a pretty horrible supermarket. I really hope she's more or less uninsurable now.

One of the issues we had was that the insurance valuation for our car was ridiculously low based on the CAP trade values. Even using those values (we have a friend in the trade and they sent us the 'internal use only' PDF version) our insurer was very keen to use the base-spec value, which did not reflect the Loft interior etc on our car. So a very frustrating experience all round. We ended up refusing several times and only engaging when they employed a truly independent assessor.

We now have a car without Loft (back to the coalmine interior, which is growing on me). I do miss the blue welcome light and the door handle puddle lights, and some parts of the interior are definitely more plasticky - but the actual grey & blue upholstery is ace. We found a car with LED lights & pro nav (essential IMO on an i3) and some other things like HK audio and a rear reversing camera. And obviously we upgraded to the 94Ah battery, which is a nice boost.

As some people have already said, I would never drive around in a car without front and rear dash cams. With her reaction this would have been a liability nightmare without the footage.

Reactions: Johnny Read

·
Registered
924 Posts
FTA: Actually I think it's just as well she was so bolshy after the accident. Her insurers might have tried to defend her if she looked more contrite. I bet they viewed that video and realised their client was a complete jerk. :)

Definitely claim back your losses. Your insurers should help with that, surely?

BTW, I bet a man acting like that would have his collar felt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts