Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Some of you may have already noticed me int he Zoe section however I purchased a 2015 65 plate Kia Soul!

Thanks to this forum I have managed to get it updated with the latest software and maps including Car Play!!

Anyway now is the fun bit... I need to buy my 1st wall charger.

I am looking at this one -
Ohme Intelligent Wall Charger OLEV

Does anyone else have this? Any thoughts?

I know the Soul EV is a Type 1 Connector but would it be worth investing in a Type 2 Wall charger now and then getting an adapter/cable?

Reason being to future proof myself now rather than mess about later?

Also the final hurdle... My house is a 1970s house. The Breaker Switch is located in the middle of my newly renovated house :( I know it is going to cost more in fitting and mess but can anyone advise the type of cable I would need to run to the breaker from the garage, please? I will not fit it myself (even though I am competent enough) it's just I would rather chase the cable in myself then have a sparky put me over a barrel.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Hi all,

Some of you may have already noticed me int he Zoe section however I purchased a 2015 65 plate Kia Soul!

Thanks to this forum I have managed to get it updated with the latest software and maps including Car Play!!

Anyway now is the fun bit... I need to buy my 1st wall charger.

I am looking at this one -
Ohme Intelligent Wall Charger OLEV

Does anyone else have this? Any thoughts?

I know the Soul EV is a Type 1 Connector but would it be worth investing in a Type 2 Wall charger now and then getting an adapter/cable?

Reason being to future proof myself now rather than mess about later?

Also the final hurdle... My house is a 1970s house. The Breaker Switch is located in the middle of my newly renovated house :( I know it is going to cost more in fitting and mess but can anyone advise the type of cable I would need to run to the breaker from the garage, please? I will not fit it myself (even though I am competent enough) it's just I would rather chase the cable in myself then have a sparky put me over a barrel.

Thanks in advance.

Sam
Wots a "Breaker Switch"

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Good question @freddym . :rolleyes:

Adaptor cable - work of the Devil. Either choose an untethered unit or accept the cost of changing the plug.
Where's your meter and main switch?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wots a "Breaker Switch"
The switch that required to go into the main circuit board. So if for any reason it was to short it would break that switch rather than the whole house losing electric.

The electric meter and mains supply is all in the middle of my house as it was extended at some point and then a garage put on the extension.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
The switch that required to go into the main circuit board. So if for any reason it was to short it would break that switch rather than the whole house losing electric.

The electric meter and mains supply is all in the middle of my house as it was extended at some point and then a garage put on the extension.
It all depends on your floor and foundation construction. Ideal would be suspended floor, lift boards, run an armoured cable. If as I suspect you are describing a solid masonry floor, you might want to consider running the cable upwards to loft and down an outside wall. Either way, it sounds a right messy problem. Considering cable purchase cost is small compared to labour cost of installing that cable, a 10mm2 XLPE SWA cable would be a sound choice and give installed spare capacity.

Regarding your description of the breaker switch "... it would break that switch...", this doesn't sound like anything normally installed in a domestic premises: a photo might clear up the mystery.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I bought a 2nd hand podpoint from ebay with a type 1 tethered lead, and installed it myself. Also connected an Economy 7 timeswitch to the control lead to switch it on overnight, and give a 2 hour boost at other times if needed..

Works a treat. I recommend it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the cable advise. As I did most of the DIY I would find it more cost effective to run the cables through myself so I will look at that option.

I am not a sparky by trade but what I meant was I will lay all the cables so that a sparky can install the unit and wire it to one of these.
1594929658021.jpeg
Directly into this which is located centrally in my property.
1594929728169.jpeg

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Thanks for the cable advise. As I did most of the DIY I would find it more cost effective to run the cables through myself so I will look at that option.

I am not a sparky by trade but what I meant was I will lay all the cables so that a sparky can install the unit and wire it to one of these.
View attachment 132479
Directly into this which is located centrally in my property.
View attachment 132480
Definitely recommend getting in a sparky and working out a solution with him. That photo is of a miniature circuit breaker, for an individual final circuit. A sparky will keep you right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It all depends on your floor and foundation construction. Ideal would be suspended floor, lift boards, run an armoured cable. If as I suspect you are describing a solid masonry floor, you might want to consider running the cable upwards to loft and down an outside wall. Either way, it sounds a right messy problem. Considering cable purchase cost is small compared to labour cost of installing that cable, a 10mm2 XLPE SWA cable would be a sound choice and give installed spare capacity.

Regarding your description of the breaker switch "... it would break that switch...", this doesn't sound like anything normally installed in a domestic premises: a photo might clear up the mystery.
In regards to the cable, will I need 3 core? 4? 5?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts