Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Quick question: how does a 65 reg Soul EV 27KWh with 81k miles sounds like in terms of reliability?

The only other data I have is that it has 89% SOH traction battery wise. Full Kia SH, price is £8500.

Complete newbie so any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Gabriel

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
284 Posts
At 89%, it will probably not drop to below 70% within the 7 year warranty period, so no new battery from KIA, but it sounds reasonable for the money. Most failures seem to have arisen in very hot regions, so probably no reason to suppose it will not be reliable.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi all

Quick question: how does a 65 reg Soul EV 27KWh with 81k miles sounds like in terms of reliability?

The only other data I have is that it has 89% SOH traction battery wise. Full Kia SH, price is £8500.

Complete newbie so any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Gabriel
Hi,

I assume this is the car that's on Autotrader.? I was looking last year and saw this, I bought another 65 plate car with 45k miles. I wasn't able to check the battery due to time constraints and covid etc when I did it was showing 89.4% which i was a little disappointed with. After a month in mid December I checked again and it had dropped to 87.9% which sent alarm bells ringing, but after reading about doing a few 19-100% trickle charges the SOH has now recovered somewhat to 91% which I'm happy with. Currently I'm now getting 95 miles on the GOM and with my standard commute (30/40 roads) I could get around 110 miles if I ran it low, hopefully in the next month or two it will rise to just over 100 miles.

If the range fits your use case and you've seen the car and it's in decent condition then I'd be more than happy to go with it, with standard mileage you should still have the remainder of the warranty in case you do get any issues. If it's from a Kia dealer make sure it's had all the recalls including the replacement OBC as this was an issue with early cars, apart from that I've not had or heard of any major reliability issues with the cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both. Yes, it's the one on Auto Trader. I am just a bit worried.

Tempted to pay more, as I found another one, in grey, a lot more money - £11895, but 2017, 21k miles and the 30KWh model...

Really tricky, as it's £3k more!

·
Registered
259 Posts

Tempted to pay more, as I found another one, in grey, a lot more money - £11895, but 2017, 21k miles and the 30KWh model...

To be honest, if you can afford it (my budget forced my to go for the 2015), then I'd certainly go for the 2018 30kWh car. You'll have peace of mind for 3-4 years and quite a chunk of extra range. That's not to say the 2016 isn't a good car though..

·
Registered
259 Posts

Also, if it's the one being sold be Drive-Green, I'd double check to make sure it's definitely the 30Kwh version as it's a 17 plate (10th digit on VIN should be a 'J'), I know there were a few 30kWh 17 plate cars but the initial 17 plate cars were 27kWh. For me looking at how much they sell the 30kWh cars for, that's too cheap, especially with that mileage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You make for a good salesman! Really, thank you.

Do we know what are the efficiency improvements on the 30KWh model? I heard something about them but no real answer.

Blimey, you have the market covered! Yes, it's that one, but not yet available. Checked with them, it's the 30KWh.

I am a "value for money" type of person and this will be the most expensive car I ever bought, so I am not all that confortable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to cut in but I think Sputnik72 is right. Check the vin number first! Also sometimes cars appear privately on the members classified. With the Kia guarantee it's not too risky. I have a 67 plate and I have not seen a 17 plate 30 KW.
Have to say mine's been great ! Just bought a Niro 4+ but still drive the Soul most of the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please, do cut in! All input is appreciated - you are all so knowledgeable, I know hardly anything.

As I said, I have called Drive Green and they have confirmed the 10th character of the VIN is a J.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You make for a good salesman! Really, thank you.

Do we know what are the efficiency improvements on the 30KWh model? I heard something about them but no real answer.

Blimey, you have the market covered! Yes, it's that one, but not yet available. Checked with them, it's the 30KWh.

I am a "value for money" type of person and this will be the most expensive car I ever bought, so I am not all that confortable.
Just ask them for the 10th digit.. why would they sell a 17 plate with 21k miles for £11.895 and also be selling a 67 plate on their website with 35k for £14,795...? It just doesn't make sense.. I may be wrong but I'd bet it's not a 30kWh (useable) car.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Good points made about difficulty in telling difference between 27 and 30 kWh cars. There is an old thread somewhere about it but think they are different kerb weights so you can confirm that way. The 30kWh does give some useful extra range - probably more than 20 miles. The newer can is likely to have Android Auto \ Apple car play which are worth having (though some people seem to have been successful in getting it installed on older cars).

·
Registered
26 Posts
My thoughts exactly on price. Regards improvements I believe (but maybe wrong) Battery chemistry was improved and efficiency also improved. I can say for a fact mine showed 158 miles at 100% 2 years ago in summer. I also drove it 161 miles and had 11% left so no complaints here! Live on the Isle of Wight so maybe it likes the sea air.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all. All interesting and good info. Will let you know how it all pans out - the car has not arrived yet in stock, so they could not tell me much about it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thanks all. All interesting and good info. Will let you know how it all pans out - the car has not arrived yet in stock, so they could not tell me much about it.
I would try eco-cars who are based in Orkney, they buy from Auction and charge a £300 flat fee, I’d imagine they could source a 30kWh to suit your budget. We had two 27kWh cars but I personally would try to get the 30kWh as somehow it seems to deliver another 20 miles which in winter would be very beneficial.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
284 Posts
I have a 2017-built 10th character 'J' 30 kWh. £11895 is a very good price, and you still have 3 yrs on the KIA warranty - provided it has all the services stamped up in the book. If it does not, walk away, because KIA will not regard the warranty as valid (I think they did allow some leeway last year because of COVID). Best to check with KIA UK, quoting the VIN.

I got 150 miles on the GOM last summer, and Soul EV Spy says I still have 100% traction battery SOH. The 30 kWh battery does have improved chemistry, which appears to benefit longevity.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would try eco-cars who are based in Orkney, they buy from Auction and charge a £300 flat fee, I’d imagine they could source a 30kWh to suit your budget. We had two 27kWh cars but I personally would try to get the 30kWh as somehow it seems to deliver another 20 miles which in winter would be very beneficial.
I tried Eco-Cars before I found the Soul I now own. I emailed and left 2 voicemails but to this day, never got a reply. So much for recommendations.
OP: if your budget is maxed out at £8,500, the higher-mileage one you have your eye on seems a fair price. Make sure you have a good look at it first though. Provided you don't need a bigger boot, the Soul is the best used EV for your budget.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 30kWh
125 Posts
@IanL is your car on a 2017 (17) plate?
I too have 30kWh, 2017 (67) plate that was registered mid October 2017, with Vin with "J"

I supposed KIA could have got a few car in August 2017 which would be 2018 (J Vin) Models.

A well know EV Company had a similar one when I was looking last June, which was meant to be 2017 (17) 30kWh, but the VIN wasn't "J". I told them and complained to Autotrader, but the ad never got changed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is the speaker surround test also conclusive? Apparently the 30KWh ones have the dashboard speaker surrounds with only a little silver line, but the older ones have a thicker line?

Not sure where I read this...

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 30kWh
125 Posts
VIN with 10th character "J" means its 2018 model. Thats the only one I would trust.

·
Registered
671 Posts
30kW cars arrived from June 17, so there are a few 17 plates around. If the dealer has confirmed the vin is on a J then it sounds like a great price. If you can stretch you would be getting a chunk extra range and a good few years extra warranty.

I don’t think the speaker surrounds changed. Vin is the best way, but also see if you can see the tyres in the photos. Nexens on the 27 and Michelin’s on the 30 (if on original tyres obviously).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts