Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

I bought recently a 2015 spec vw GTE, im very happy with it.
Only thing is in GTE modus it has this fake sound thing pumped trough speaker. I really like it, but from the outside I can't hear anything.
Is there someone that maybe knows if you can turn it on that you hear a nice rumble like the GTD from outside?
Also where is that soundaktor in the GTE located?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,674 Posts
You are expected to stay in the car, while driving.... :p 👨‍🚒

The soundaktor is accessible from under the bonnet, and located directly behind the dash. I know that some people have disable it, but never heard of anyone... pump it out. I was also under the impression that it doesn't actually use the sound system in the car, but rather creates sound vibrations which travel through the chassis.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Todor is correct, the Soundaktor is a module that fixes to the engine/cabin firewall just below the windscreen and it vibrates to generate the deep sound you can hear in the cabin.

It doesn’t go through the speakers at all.

There is no way that I can see that you’d be able to use it to generate external fake engine noise, but there are aftermarket systems around if that floats your boat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Todor is correct, the Soundaktor is a module that fixes to the engine/cabin firewall just below the windscreen and it vibrates to generate the deep sound you can hear in the cabin.

It doesn’t go through the speakers at all.

There is no way that I can see that you’d be able to use it to generate external fake engine noise, but there are aftermarket systems around if that floats your boat.
There is a program and dongle specially for VAG cars, it is called OBDEleven. With an app on your Android phone you can do almost everything with the car including changing the Soundaktor and "program" exhaust noise. You can activate or deactivate every function of the car and even introduce new ones.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
There is a program and dongle specially for VAG cars, it is called OBDEleven. With an app on your Android phone you can do almost everything with the car including changing the Soundaktor and "program" exhaust noise. You can activate or deactivate every function of the car and even introduce new ones.
Yes, I use VCDS which has the same functionality and more, and although you can use that or OBD Eleven to reduce the Soundaktor ‘volume’ or even disable it, you can’t make the sound external which is what the OP was asking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The GTD was initially released with the option of a special exhaust that had a sound actuator in the exhaust pipe.
These are the ones that give a glorious V8 rumble on acceleration.
I believe it was a 'sport and sound' pack

GTE never had this option.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
This might sound like a daft question, but why would you want a GTE to sound like a GTD !.
If you wanted all that external racket, then maybe the OP should have bought an “Oil Burner”.
I bet there is many GTD owners that would like the facility to turn off all that engine rattle !.
It’s like having a BEV and then wanting it to produce the sound of a ICE.
Each to there own I guess ?.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's not asking for diesel clatter, he's asking for this:

Yea something like that on a GTE "personally I like it" but i don't know if a aftermarket soundaktor would fit on it since there are battery packs with almost no room left

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
You’d probably be better off going for an aftermarket exhaust, something like a milltek?

The GTE does have an engine after all?

You might find the GTD exhaust with the flap could be made to fit, but the VCDS coding would likely be very tricky and you might be missing some electronic modules that you’d need for the GTD system to work at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey people,

I bought recently a 2015 spec vw GTE, im very happy with it.
Only thing is in GTE modus it has this fake sound thing pumped trough speaker. I really like it, but from the outside I can't hear anything.
Is there someone that maybe knows if you can turn it on that you hear a nice rumble like the GTD from outside?
Also where is that soundaktor in the GTE located?
Disable the Actuator and get an aftermarket exhaust where u are just removing the backbox.

It will comply with regulations. it sounds amazing and it isn't to loud to annoy you when your not feeling it. but loud enough to give the car more character and give the driver an extra 10 smiles :) per gallon.

Speaking form experience I have one on my audi a3 e-tron which is basically the same car.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
He's not asking for diesel clatter, he's asking for this:

Maybe a Golf R may have been a better solution then !.
Trying to make one model do what another was purpose built to do, defeats the object to me.
Like sticking a “Go Faster” GT badge on the back of your car does not make it a GT.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
One of the things I like about the GTE is you can drive like a bit of a nutter enjoying all the GTE sound without everyone else looking at you, as if you are some boy racer with a stupid exhaust!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
One of the things I like about the GTE is you can drive like a bit of a nutter enjoying all the GTE sound without everyone else looking at you, as if you are some boy racer with a stupid exhaust!
I agree @tom66 .
On a similar note, can somebody explain why if you submit the normal run of the mill "Average Joe" ICE car for the MOT and there is a small hole in the silencer, this is seen as a huge FAIL.
While our "Big Exhaust Gang" drivers are able to drive through towns and villages with them HUGE exhaust systems ( that clearly have all of the baffles removed ) making all that racket !.
There is a guy who lives on the other side of our village and rides a stock Harley.
I can hear him coming from the minute he starts it up, when he passes our house the front windows actually rattle.
I have seen this bike parked up and there is a straight pipe from the cylinder head, running right through to the tip of the tail pipe.
Not a silencer in sight !.
This type of thing is fine at a race track, but not on every day British roads surely.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You will be glad to hear the police are trialling "sound cameras" which will send enforcement notices with a fine, to idiots that drive with illegally loud exhaust systems.
It is actually a crime - not sure about MOT fail, perhaps they take them off before doing the MOT?

·
Registered
39 Posts
They don't fail for silly silencers because they are subject to opinion as far as in aware this is the MOT ruling:

You must use your judgement to assess exhaust noise:

during the emissions test for the vehicle rev the engine to around 2,500rpm or half the maximum engine speed if this is lower on vehicles not subject to an emissions test

Exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level you'd expect from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

Defect Category
Exhaust noise levels in excess of those permitted Major

1 - 16 of 16 Posts