Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And so the "teasing" continues........

GM held an invitation only event in Los Angeles yesterday for existing Volt owners and some new images of part of the nose of the next generation Volt were allowed to be taken. Cameras were then removed and NDA's were signed so a full reveal could be offered.

From here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?145065-2016-Volt-Reveal-Event

All very interesting, but also remarkably frustrating until we know more about GM's plans for the UK and Europe.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Banned
961 Posts
All that silver plastic looks a bit Mattel, is that just prototype do we know, or is it actually going to be made like that?
It appears to be made out of old take-away containers.

I suppose that continues the re-cycled fridge-freezer look they went for in the interior of the previous model.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I suppose that continues the re-cycled fridge-freezer look they went for in the interior of the previous model.
As opposed to the recycled cardboard interior of the i3 :p

More importantly, it will be interesting to see if the battery capacity has increased for more electric range and if it still has 4 seats.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Indeed...much prefer the look of the Ampera front. The Volt looks too American for my liking.. but I don't think GM care much about the UK market (or Europe?)

Btw....4 seats are confirmed!
Previously GM said range would drop because daily average use is less than 40 but it's probably more to do with cost saving.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
With an ice up front those batteries have to go somewhere without a major redesign. No car can be all things to all men.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
With an ice up front those batteries have to go somewhere without a major redesign. No car can be all things to all men.
They had the chance to do a major redesign given that they are launching a new model. Also, you would think that given battery capacites have improved somewhat since the 7 years that the original Volt was designed, they would be able to get round the space issue.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
They had the chance but haven't got the appetite. The Volt is popular in its primary market of the US and although 4 yrs old still wins awards. The i3 has a tiny engine and people moan that that takes up boot space. Plus it's also for 4.

Battery tech has seen incremental improvements, not seizmic ones. The new Voltec powertrain is more efficient and has two 'gears' (probably not the correct term).

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, the full front grill revealed (albeit in black & white) (from the link above by @MetalHead)

·
Super Moderator
7,456 Posts
Hey, if it appeals to American tastes, and more people buy it, that's more electric miles, and that's a good thing. If it tempts people out of their current Volt, that's more cars on the second hand market, at lower prices, getting cheaper EV miles into the hands of people that really need it.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
At least they have realised that you need twin headlights to see in the dark.
The dip will stay lit when main is used and main can be focused better so that you don't get the black hole at the "vanishing point" that all bikers and fast drivers soon learn about. i.e the point where you cannot see any more road.

The present single halogens, even though they have a "special" bulb are hopeless and arguably dangerous as main has no penetration and dip doesn't have the spread.

I will be installing HIDs soon to mine after some research and am fairly sure they are similar to H7 apart from a slightly different support leg which is slightly narrower and used as a key.
I will compare the Ampera bulb and the HIDs in another of my EV's which uses H7 equipped projector lamps this weekend.
That car also had awful lights until I installed 55w HIDs. After over two years on the road, no-one ever flashes that they are being dazzled and the illumination is excellent.
HIDs have a better dip cutoff than halogen and the headlamps can be adjusted for height in Volt/Ampera's anyway.

Another HID equipped EV I have driven for many years always passes its MOT and is never mentioned by the inspector.
Probably because sensibly, I choose the white light and not the chavvy blue tinted ones.

It has been said that non standard HIDs are illegal but so is driving around with blown headlamps at night.
One eyed cars are a major wind up for me as it often seems like there are more than one in five like this.
I doubt you would get pulled over for having correctly adjusted HIDs as one eyed cars are never stopped.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some more colour images from the Chevy Volt owners group on Facebook.

Derek

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Compare that with the camouflaged scoop shots and you can see the DRL's are roughly the same shape.

And that this rendering was a bit wide of the mark.

Derek

·
Registered
535 Posts
Didn't I read something that suggests there is a new motor? Dual core or something, more power and efficiency?
I've read the second motor is going to share the load more than it does in current models but I'm not sure if this will benefit efficiency as much as performance. They are changing to cheaper ferrite magnets instead of the current rare earth magnets which should cut costs but will also cut efficiency as far as I'm aware.
I wonder if they've saved enough to finish the boot off on the new model. If they have, maybe the parcel shelf and closeout could be retro-fitted to current models.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts