Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My 2016 will not charge fully and total distance is greatly reduced. On the cars display and in the app, it shows one bar remaining and the car tells me there is still some 50 minutes or so until full. The display says I have between 17-19 miles range at this charge, which usually means I only get about 12-ish or so miles out of each charge, not running any climate controls or seat heater.
The temps here have been warm, around 70 degrees, so it should not be cold deplete, nor would that impact the inability to make charge I would think. The car is also kept in a warm garage.
The only other issue I had was with the car intermittent stopping the charge cycle randomly and throwing a CEL, but the dealership eventually fixed that issue.
I am attaching a screen shot of the app, which does show charging was completed but does not display a full charge.
Has anyone had this issue? How low would the battery have to be degraded before they would replace that? Oh and everyone here seems pretty cool, but go easy on me, I am an older mom and am not sure where to get info on the kw, etc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Cristine

Sorry to hear about your problems with the car.
Not sure i can help with the problem. Sorry.
What i can tell you is that the HV-Battery has a 160k/8yrs warranty (keep in mind these are km. I'm assuming it will be 100k miles/8 years for you in the US, but don't take my word for that).
The battery needs to lose 30% of it's "energy", or in other words, it has to fall below 70% "usable power", for it to be replaced under warranty, or so they say. I've never read about anyone's battery falling below 70% and getting replaced so far.
That being said, i'm assuming if you actually have a problem on the battery-pack itself, it will also fall under this warranty.

On that note, i have a question:
I've been having similar issues about my car stopping the charge randomly. I don't got a CEL, and whenever i give the car some sort of input (lock/unlock doors etc.), the car will start charging again. So while it is somewhat different to what you've experienced, it's also similar. I'm wondering if you know what your dealership did to fix your problem back when you've had it? I've brought my car in twice now and they're not able to find the problem. First dealership was able to "reproduce" the problem, but didn't know what it was. Second one said it keeps charging fully without interruptions for them.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help. I hope you'll get the problem fixed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Cristine,

What is "CEL" ?
A couple (actually more :geek:) questions :
  • What is the mileage of your car ?
  • Do you use the Audi home charger on a normal home power socket ? or an electrician specially did the installation ?
  • Did an electrician check your power socket ? (if it can handle that kind of current safely)
  • Are you experiencing the same on public fast chargers when you use the type 2 charging cable (the yellow one if you bought it)
  • When this happens, what do you see on the Audi charger LCD screen ?
  • What is the color of the charging icon on the bumper when it happens ?
  • What is the color of the power socket on the Audi LCD Screen ? see picture for example, usually appears when i unlock car and open door
  • In the LCD screen of the home charger, you can select charging at 50% or 100% (if i remember well). Which is selected ? (press ok on the charger and go to power, OK).
  • Are you using extensions cords, adapters or multiple power sockets "thingy" ?
  • When did it start happening ?
Now from what i am seeing in your screenshot :
I don't know if the information is the most accurate as the info showing are from "2h" ago on the application. It can be good to force a refresh next time you send a picture :), if the car is experiencing the same problem. Also maybe send us the "Charging" tab.

Could be good to have other confirm what i'm going to say now.
On the picture :
  • The cable is black
  • The app says that the "car is ready to charge"
Overall, this tells me that the home charger is receiving current correctly but not charging the car, maybe for protection ? or maybe there is a real problem

It happened to me a lot at a period like if the current was unstable and the charger stopped charging randomly, but the color of my cable on the app was yellow, not black.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the in depth reply. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

What is CEL? Check Engine Light and when hooked to a VAG-com the code reads to check charge unit. That problem has been resolved.
Home charging: I use a ChargePoint home charger, it's the same manufacturer as a popular charging network here in the states. It is installed to a 220 power source.
Work charging: I use the Audi portable charging unit that came with the car, hooked into a standard 110 outlet. Unfortunately I do have to use an extension cord with it.

However, the issue with the battery not fully charging happens no matter what source of charging I use-network, home charging, or portable charger. It will not charge that last indicator bar.

Here are photos I took today. 3:26-car indicates I still have 50 minutes left to full charge. Audi app says 1 hour, so that is fairly consistent.
However, it stopped charging two minutes later and there is still one bar on my dash display indicator that is not fully charged, the app shows one greyed out, uncharged bar, and if I plug my car back in, it says I have 50 minutes left but stops charging immediately.
This is Everytime I charge, not the random intermittent issue I had previously.
I am at 54,000 miles currently.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the reply Cristine,
That's odd for sure but reassuring if you can easily reproduce the problem (seems to be every time anywhere anyway).
The car has 4 years and quite the mileage.

Maybe some power cells have gone bad ?
I would go straight to the dealership to clarify that.

Although you could try something (could be interesting info to give to Audi, although if you don't want to bother with this stuff, which i could understand, just don't do it). Otherwise it still could help other people to read further.
It could help narrow down the problem or get a better understanding.

Test number 1 :
The goal of this test is to see if your car really thinks the battery is full.
If you have noticed, when the car is fully charged, and lets say you drive in EV mode, when you slightly press the brake pedal, you feel that you are really applying the brakes and the needle is not going far below the "charge" line (the car will not regen when the battery is full).
When you lose 1-2 miles, and you slightly press the brake pedal, you feel that you are not applying the brakes and the regen kicks in, thus the needle will go like half way in the "charge" area.

So what to do :
  1. Charge your car to the max as usual (lets say, you'll have 18 miles of range)
  2. The next morning drive in EV mode and try to go like at 35 miles / hour (depending on your speed limit there) and slightly press the brake pedal (before you lose 1 mile of range)
  3. Then, lose 2 miles with normal driving and slightly press the brake pedal
During steps 2 and 3, do you see or feel the difference i explained ?

Test number 2
As you have the first A3 e-tron, you should have the charge mode available.

I would suggest the following when you have like 30-40 minutes free :
  • Charge your car to the max as usual
  • On the MMI LCD , display the car menu where you have the battery and motor showing
  • In the morning, drive a bit to lose like 1 or 2 miles max
  • Put yourself into charge mode as soon as you can (will not be available if you haven't lost 1-2 miles)
  • Go on some high speed roads, minimum 55 miles / hour if you have, and drive without stopping (maybe highway is better)
  • Check that you are still in charge mode when arriving on this road and drive for around 20 minutes
During those 20 minutes drive, it would be interesting to know if you are still maxed at 18 miles ? or if you went higher.

You can stop this test at anytime if you see on the screen while driving that the engine is not charging the battery (take note of EV range).

PS : the speed is actually not the most important criteria. The most important one is for you to drive continuously for those 20 minutes without stopping (highway might be better) otherwise the car will not be able to charge itself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I commute 80 miles round trip to work each day, so good mileage is important to me. My previous car was an A3 TDI and I loved it! When they did the buyback I bought this because it was so similar in body.
Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions. I will run it in charge mode either tonight or tomorrow on my commute and report back with the findings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Cristine

Sorry to hear about your problems with the car.
Not sure i can help with the problem. Sorry.
What i can tell you is that the HV-Battery has a 160k/8yrs warranty (keep in mind these are km. I'm assuming it will be 100k miles/8 years for you in the US, but don't take my word for that).
The battery needs to lose 30% of it's "energy", or in other words, it has to fall below 70% "usable power", for it to be replaced under warranty, or so they say. I've never read about anyone's battery falling below 70% and getting replaced so far.
That being said, i'm assuming if you actually have a problem on the battery-pack itself, it will also fall under this warranty.

On that note, i have a question:
I've been having similar issues about my car stopping the charge randomly. I don't got a CEL, and whenever i give the car some sort of input (lock/unlock doors etc.), the car will start charging again. So while it is somewhat different to what you've experienced, it's also similar. I'm wondering if you know what your dealership did to fix your problem back when you've had it? I've brought my car in twice now and they're not able to find the problem. First dealership was able to "reproduce" the problem, but didn't know what it was. Second one said it keeps charging fully without interruptions for them.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help. I hope you'll get the problem fixed.
I didn't forget you, I just was not able to find my service sheet.
They had my car for around 4weeks trying to figure out the issue. In the end, they did a bunch of software/firmware updates, replaced the charging port, and there was another component they replaced in the charging circuit, I believe.
Your issue sounds identical to what was happening to my car last year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I tested it in charge mode, and it switched to Hold mode at 18 miles, with one of the battery bars still not lit. So yeah, I think you are right. It seems like cells on the battery might be dead.
I'm just not sure if they would replace the battery at this point but I will bring it to the dealership and see what they say.
Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
40 Posts
With pleasure Cristine.
At least now i guess Audi will rule out any cable / charger / car socket from the equation and concentrate more on the battery side :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those are good tests @etronfan. Depending on how "good" the dealership is, they'll already have an idea what it could be or where to look if you tell them the tests and the results.
I think you'd actually be lucky if it's going to be the HV-Battery. Since the car has less than 100k miles/8 years, the battery is still under warranty. So if the battery is actually defective, they should replace it under warranty to my understanding.
Thanks for letting me know what they had done to fix the charging-interruption problem. My car is in the dealership right now and they say they can't reproduce the problem. But when it will start to happen again (which i'm almost sure it will), i can tell them that someone with a similar issue had the stuff replaced you said. It might help them.

I hope you get your problem sorted. When i go and pick up the car i will ask if they've had a similar case of the battery not fully charging. The dealership said they've repaired a few e-trons so far, so who knows, maybe they've had this happen before. I will let you know should i find out anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A quick update: the Audi dealership has had my e-tron since last Friday. No news as of yet, they say they are talking to Audi about the issue. There is no ETA, which I am ok with since I'm putting my miles on their loaner, they almost gave me the new e-tron suv but I decided it's nice to not plug in for a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just heard back from the service advisor. The first report was that the 12v battery was failing. However, I questioned if that impacted the read on the EV charge and the drastic reduction of miles I was getting.
I heard back from them again and Audi will be replacing both the 12v battery and the HV battery under warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just picked up my car and all I say say is, thank goodness the warranty covered all of that. They are billing Audi over $8k 😳

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad to hear everything worked out. Are they billing Audi $8k for just the labor or including the batteries and everything?
Pretty cool you got a new HV Battery. Maybe you'll get a few miles more than with your old battery (before it broke down).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts