Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm considering an Outlander and a bit confused about the models.

I understand that 2017 models has a facelift and got some improvement on engines over the older models.

But there is another update on 2018 models also, right? From photos I see volume control buttons..etc are touchscreen and there is a new 2.4 L and 11 kWh battery version.

Are ther any other changes with 2018 and would 2.4 L and 11 kWh make much difference?

If you were to choose between a 2017 mode (even a pre March registered free road tax one :) ) and a 2018 2.4 L/11 kWh model, which one would you choose?

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
252 Posts
Mine is the 2018 model, and I guess the biggest change in terms of usability is the EV button.

The 2.4L Atkinson cycle engine doesn’t scream as much as my old 2.0L 2015 model, but in regards to performance or fuel economy I can’t really tell the difference.
The extra battery capacity adds marginal range, but it does make a slight difference to my daily commute which is right on the limit of the achievable range anyway.

As someone who hates the ice kicking in, I really do appreciate the EV button which forces the car to stay in EV mode.

Not sure if present on the 2016 models, but also on mine, which is a GX4H, I have blindspot detection, rear cross traffic alert, and heated front windscreen. The former are useful features which I had gotten used to having on my previous Ioniq BEV, but the latter can be a bit of a hindrance when the Sun is shining at you from the front. And I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve actually turned it on!

I’m dropping my Outlander within the next two months, and going back to BEV. If hypothetically I were to acquire another outlander, I would absolutely get the 2018 model over the 2016, even if just for the EV button alone.

·
richi.uk
305 Posts
  • First version was MY2014—very few exist in Europe/UK, outside of the Netherlands.
  • Minor revisions for MY2014.5 (launched early 2014; sometimes called "MY2015," but there wasn't one).
  • Facelift and better suspension came in for MY2016 (launched Autumn 2015).
  • Tweaks, including the EV button, in MY2017 (Autumn 2016).
  • New engine and slightly bigger battery in MY2019 (Autumn 2018).
Note also that UK cars first registered after March 2017 attract an annual VED charge (not "zero road tax").

1 - 3 of 3 Posts