Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed in previous posts but having read them I'm still having problems getting the car to preheat.
I have set it up as the manual and some of the previous posts have described but still nothing happens. I set the departure time on the clock, I've ticked the air-condition box, I've set the required temperature and still the car is cold! I'm either missing something obvious or there's a fault with the vehicle.
Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
Tim

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only time I can actually feel heat in mine before getting in is if I time it perfectly.

go in too early and it hasn’t had time to do enough heating - too late and it’s reached temp and started to cool down. In in this cold weather it will cool down very quickly after (it thinks) it’s reached set temp

·
Registered
448 Posts
The pre-heat starts on my 2018 model about 20 mins before departure time, and runs for about 15 mins after, then auto stops. I can see the green light on the charge port come on when this is happening. Sounds silly, but check the clock isn't running on British summer time, so everything is over by the time you get to the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pre-heat starts on my 2018 model about 20 mins before departure time, and runs for about 15 mins after, then auto stops. I can see the green light on the charge port come on when this is happening. Sounds silly, but check the clock isn't running on British summer time, so everything is over by the time you get to the car.
[/QUOTE

Ok I'll check the clock...the plot thickens! I only bought the car last summer and now realise how much power the heater uses in the winter. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only time I can actually feel heat in mine before getting in is if I time it perfectly.

go in too early and it hasn’t had time to do enough heating - too late and it’s reached temp and started to cool down. In in this cold weather it will cool down very quickly after (it thinks) it’s reached set temp
Mine definitely isn't heating at all. I've sat in the car in the run up to departure and nothing is happening!

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK so at least you know it's not a heat problem - it's a charging/heating scheduling problem.

I'd forget the app for now and first rule out you can get it working from the scheduler in the car - could you post up screen shots of the settings from the car?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so at least you know it's not a heat problem - it's a charging/heating scheduling problem.

I'd forget the app for now and first rule out you can get it working from the scheduler in the car - could you post up screen shots of the settings from the car?
Thanks Kenny,
I haven't even started with the app! Here are some screen shots of how I've set the time. I'm trying again for 6pm this evening so fingers crossed.

Let me know if you can see any obvious errors. The car is plugged in, ignition is off and the car is locked.
Thanks All for your interest and advice.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good to hear it was a simple issue.
I've noticed that mine struggles to preheat AND charge the car even on the dedicated 32A charger I have, so I'd be very mindful of your domestic wiring if you're doing this routinely.
I'd recommend a proper EV chargepoint for long term use. I often charge multiple times a day, and I'd get far fewer EV miles if I was charging at 10A.

·
Registered
129 Posts
While I have a timer set and heating option on (26 C for those lovely cold 06.30 starts here in Glasgow), every time I plug in, in the evening, I make sure to hit the middle button on the charge port.
This makes the car charge immediately so that when the timer kicks in it's only demanding energy for heating having hopefully already charged to max.
Seems to work for me.
(I don't have special tariffs for energy at home so it doesn't matter when I charge.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see a few references to having the car plugged in for the preheat , I have mine set to depart at 7am every weekday and it's never plugged in , always toasty warm as long as the car is parked up the night before with a couple of miles left in the battery.

I'm guessing most people know this, I just wouldn't want new users to think that it has to be plugged in for this function to work - one of the cars most useful assets in my opinion too :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts