Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been in the market for a car for few months now, having stumbling across this forum and the Golf GTE i believe it is the car for me! I love the ability to drive both electric or ICE or combined, and the performance capabilities that come with it, yet its ability to be very economical when driven properly (which i aim to do). However i am wondering how they hold up in 2020 (or should i say 2021)?

I am specifically looking at the 2017 year golf GTE, i am interested only in hybrids (for the peace of mind of the ICE range), the aim is the GTE to be my stepping stone to full electric.

My commute is 12 miles round trip, so more than managable in EV in warm or winter temperatures. Most of my driving is under 20 miles, with the occasional longer drive every few months. My current car averages 53.2mpg getting around 480-520 miles per tank of diesel. Additionally, i have the unique case of a 6kW wind turbine on the property so this can provide reduced or outright free EV charging. The car will be religiously charged every night, when i get home the car will be plugged in, and either charged on the schedule or charged full if i am driving later that day (again the turbine will reduce charging costs drastically).

My main concern is the 2017 model all have the new £140 tax band, should i let this deter me from a hybrid? I am concerned the road tax will greatly ofset the savings of a hybrid. However, i have calculated the higher MPG will recoup this and more alone, before factoring any EV miles etc.

Final note, i aim to charge this on my property, by hanging the charge cable out a window (until i get a charger installed). I would be keen to hear of any others who have or do charge like this?

I am interested in your thoughts on this, any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It's definitely a good car. That said there are many other EVs on the market now and I will be selling my 2015 GTE soon to get a pure EV as it has done its service well as a bridge car. Could you not cope with a 200+ mile range EV? No tax band, if you buy it through a company then 0-2% BIK, less maintenance costs and other advantages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely a good car. That said there are many other EVs on the market now and I will be selling my 2015 GTE soon to get a pure EV as it has done its service well as a bridge car. Could you not cope with a 200+ mile range EV? No tax band, if you buy it through a company then 0-2% BIK, less maintenance costs and other advantages.
I haven't really looked into pure EV to be honest. I'm not really a fan of the styling of the pure EVs I have seen. Tesla's are unfortunately outside my budget (17k). I'm pretty confident for my next car I will go pure EV.

I hope to be on the same boat as you in 5 years for the GTE to be a good bridge car.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If you are after a PHEV then the GTE is a great car, and would seem well suited to your commute etc.

Like all PHEVs the GTE is very complicated, so a warranty is recommended.

Short term charging with a cable out of the window is ok, but having a proper home charger saves faffing about. Granny chargers are not well suited to daily use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are after a PHEV then the GTE is a great car, and would seem well suited to your commute etc.

Like all PHEVs the GTE is very complicated, so a warranty is recommended.

Short term charging with a cable out of the window is ok, but having a proper home charger saves faffing about. Granny chargers are not well suited to daily use.
I would usually service my own cars, so wouldn't take warranties out. I'm assuming I would do this directly with Volkswagen? In addition, wouldn't this further offset the saving of a hybrid car?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,030 Posts
I would usually service my own cars, so wouldn't take warranties out. I'm assuming I would do this directly with Volkswagen? In addition, wouldn't this further offset the saving of a hybrid car?
You'd be mad not to take an extended warranty with VW. It costs about £250 / year as it's only covering the mechanical bits. The HV stuff has an eight year warranty. It's not a service plan it's an insurance against major expensive bits going wrong. Sadly it will require servicing by an agent to be valid.

I have just traded in my 17 plate GTE against an ID3. The car was faultless for three and a half years but I still extended the warranty at three years and would have continued to do so for as long as I kept it.

The GTE is a great car and a difficult act to follow.

90% of our journeys were full electric but that equated to half of our 19000 mileage since we never charged on long trips. Petrol consumption averaged 90mpg overall.

As for servicing it yourself, how comfortable are you working around 400 volts? Only specially trained technicians are allowed to work on these in VW dealers. And they provide a long insulated pole with a hook in the end for emergency rescue by other staff I am told.

The proverbial barge pole?

Having said all that, it was the best car I have owned.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
It’s all been said really !.
I had a GTE for four years before going full EV.
Brilliant “Toe In The Water” to all electric propulsion is the GTE.
Paying to have the car serviced can be painful if you can do it yourself, but the GTE is fantastic bit of engineering brilliance and can be expensive if things go wrong.
Having the VW back up warranty helps you sleep better at night, but the down side is you will need dealer service history to back it up.
One with out the other is a complete waste of time.
I had mine covered from both angles, and I glad to report that the car was absolutely faultless.
I would only suggest giving a full EV strong consideration before going PHEV.
If you must go PHEV - then only in my opinion, you have picked the best car to go for !.
If you are lucky enough to have a second car, then use the EV for the majority of day to day stuff, then the ICE for the longer trips ?.
After moving from a full petrol ICE car in 2015 and over to the PHEV - visits to petrol station became few and far between.
Very economical to run when charging every day.
I charged on the provided “Granny” unit for about seven months and all was fine, although I would not recommend this method of charging on a long term basis.
They are known to fail and can be expensive to replace.
A wall box is a MUCH better long term solution.
A very underrated car by some people in my opinion.
If you like the styling of the Golf, what about an e.Golf ?.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'd be mad not to take an extended warranty with VW. It costs about £250 / year as it's only covering the mechanical bits. The HV stuff has an eight year warranty. It's not a service plan it's an insurance against major expensive bits going wrong. Sadly it will require servicing by an agent to be valid.

I have just traded in my 17 plate GTE against an ID3. The car was faultless for three and a half years but I still extended the warranty at three years and would have continued to do so for as long as I kept it.

The GTE is a great car and a difficult act to follow.

90% of our journeys were full electric but that equated to half of our 19000 mileage since we never charged on long trips. Petrol consumption averaged 90mpg overall.

As for servicing it yourself, how comfortable are you working around 400 volts? Only specially trained technicians are allowed to work on these in VW dealers. And they provide a long insulated pole with a hook in the end for emergency rescue by other staff I am told.

The proverbial barge pole?

Having said all that, it was the best car I have owned.
Enjoy!
I would have hoped to service the smaller stuff, brake pads, oil filters etc but i believe you are right me and 400 volts might not agree with eachother!

I had hoped with the Golf GTE it would work out cheaper to run than a normal ICE vehicle after working out fuel and regular servicing. However with the Golf GTE i feel after adding relevent warranties and VW servicing and higher road tax, this saving would work on similar if not more than a normal ICE vehicle.

Unfortunetly Carty in my car market (Northern Ireland) there are very few GTEs let alone e-Golfs in my budget. I aim to buy the car outright as i am not the biggest fan of leasing cars, i feel it works out more expensive in the long run. Additionally the charging network wouldnt be on the same level as Mainland UK. I hope when i am next changing car this will have improved greatly, and there will be more pure EVs available!

I believe my next step is to work out actual figures and take it from there! Thank you TomH and Carty for highlighting the warranties as i would never have factored them in!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I haven't really looked into pure EV to be honest. I'm not really a fan of the styling of the pure EVs I have seen. Tesla's are unfortunately outside my budget (17k). I'm pretty confident for my next car I will go pure EV.

I hope to be on the same boat as you in 5 years for the GTE to be a good bridge car.
I was eyeing up a Peugeot e-208 for £22k. But, it's not quite as luxurious as the GTE, that is for sure.
My first car was a 206, and despite it being built to a price, it was actually quite a good car.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I take your point with regards to service costs, but I would not worry about the likes of brake pads !.
I think it is very likely that the car may never need them unless you drive like somebody who has just robbed a bank every day !.
When I sold my car at over four years and almost 30,000 miles, the pads where only about 10% worn !.
Pad wear is very slow due to regen braking.
The service schedule on a GTE is every 10,000 miles or 12 months, which ever arrives first.
First brake fluid change at three years, then every two years there after.
A/C service in between the Blake fluid change.
BUT - This is the same as a petrol Golf it should be said !.
You can not have a “Long Life” two year service schedule on a GTE !.
With regards to other running costs, firstly there was NO road fund licence on my 2015 model.
Secondly, if you use the electric mode in as many occasions as you can, you will find it really cheap to run without any doubt.
When I sold my GTE - I had to wait about four months for my EV to arrive.
We where using my wife’s Fiat 500 at the time, it is no banger by any means.
We have had it from new and it is now about four years old, it has only covered about 12,000 miles.
After a very short time of using this car, I some became feed up with going to the petrol station a lot !.
Truly, it was a LOT more expensive to run than my GTE !.
If you have an oil burner now, the GTE is in a different league, believe me !.
Yeah - The servicing costs are a bitter pill to swallow I must admit, but I think it is still worth the extra cost.
Put the fuel saving cost towards it !.
I have NO regrets owning the GTE - Brilliant car, ahead of its time back in 2015.
An EV back in 2015 would not have suited my needs back then, but now it is fantastic.
I thought the PHEV was cheap to run, but OMG the EV is something else !.
Apart from that, it is nice to have the electric drive experience ALL of the time now.
EV’s are not for everybody, I totally except that.
They are still expensive, but that has to change and it will.
It is a little annoying when people just discount them instantly because of there “So Called” shorter range.
But then only drive about 80 miles a week !.
Only when some folks sit down and actually write down there weekly journeys, do they find there covering less mileage than they think !.
Not everybody of course, but generally speaking.
A lot of folks see it as an inconvenience to have to charge, sorry I don’t support this theory if you can charge at home.
How many ICE drives have a petrol pump on there drive for gods sake.
I filled up my wife’s car before Christmas - you soon forget how much of a “Faff” is involved.
Had to join the wait at our local Tesco’s filling station, then all that messing about and fumes of fuel and exhaust gases.
Then wait in line to pay ( me old school ).
I know it sounds like a moan for nothing, but I don’t miss that AT ALL !.
Consider your use age carefully, if an EV suits your needs 99% of the time, then wait until your budget will allow it.
Service costs on an EV almost match’s the economy of the car.
If not, then the GTE is great option.
Don’t be tempted by a “Non Plugin” hybrid, or any of that “Self Charging” crap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I take your point with regards to service costs, but I would not worry about the likes of brake pads !.
I think it is very likely that the car may never need them unless you drive like somebody who has just robbed a bank every day !.
When I sold my car at over four years and almost 30,000 miles, the pads where only about 10% worn !.
Pad wear is very slow due to regen braking.
The service schedule on a GTE is every 10,000 miles or 12 months, which ever arrives first.
First brake fluid change at three years, then every two years there after.
A/C service in between the Blake fluid change.
BUT - This is the same as a petrol Golf it should be said !.
You can not have a “Long Life” two year service schedule on a GTE !.
With regards to other running costs, firstly there was NO road fund licence on my 2015 model.
Secondly, if you use the electric mode in as many occasions as you can, you will find it really cheap to run without any doubt.
When I sold my GTE - I had to wait about four months for my EV to arrive.
We where using my wife’s Fiat 500 at the time, it is no banger by any means.
We have had it from new and it is now about four years old, it has only covered about 12,000 miles.
After a very short time of using this car, I some became feed up with going to the petrol station a lot !.
Truly, it was a LOT more expensive to run than my GTE !.
If you have an oil burner now, the GTE is in a different league, believe me !.
Yeah - The servicing costs are a bitter pill to swallow I must admit, but I think it is still worth the extra cost.
Put the fuel saving cost towards it !.
I have NO regrets owning the GTE - Brilliant car, ahead of its time back in 2015.
An EV back in 2015 would not have suited my needs back then, but now it is fantastic.
I thought the PHEV was cheap to run, but OMG the EV is something else !.
Apart from that, it is nice to have the electric drive experience ALL of the time now.
EV’s are not for everybody, I totally except that.
They are still expensive, but that has to change and it will.
It is a little annoying when people just discount them instantly because of there “So Called” shorter range.
But then only drive about 80 miles a week !.
Only when some folks sit down and actually write down there weekly journeys, do they find there covering less mileage than they think !.
Not everybody of course, but generally speaking.
A lot of folks see it as an inconvenience to have to charge, sorry I don’t support this theory if you can charge at home.
How many ICE drives have a petrol pump on there drive for gods sake.
I filled up my wife’s car before Christmas - you soon forget how much of a “Faff” is involved.
Had to join the wait at our local Tesco’s filling station, then all that messing about and fumes of fuel and exhaust gases.
Then wait in line to pay ( me old school ).
I know it sounds like a moan for nothing, but I don’t miss that AT ALL !.
Consider your use age carefully, if an EV suits your needs 99% of the time, then wait until your budget will allow it.
Service costs on an EV almost match’s the economy of the car.
If not, then the GTE is great option.
Don’t be tempted by a “Non Plugin” hybrid, or any of that “Self Charging” crap.
Thank you Carty for sharing your thoughts, you have given me alot to think about! Its great to hear from owners and be able to get a true impression of the car!

I will take what you said on board. I havent fully totted up the total cost of my current car vs the potential cost of a GTE, but i plan to today as it will give me the best insight into whats right for me. I agree, my use case is great for a either a phev or a EV hence why i want to avoid a normal ICE vehicle. I believe EV is the future, and am excited for the technology, however i hate to admit i need a bridge car first.

I will like you suggest work out my true milage, my true cost of my current car, and see which works out best.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Thank you Carty for sharing your thoughts, you have given me alot to think about! Its great to hear from owners and be able to get a true impression of the car!

I will take what you said on board. I havent fully totted up the total cost of my current car vs the potential cost of a GTE, but i plan to today as it will give me the best insight into whats right for me. I agree, my use case is great for a either a phev or a EV hence why i want to avoid a normal ICE vehicle. I believe EV is the future, and am excited for the technology, however i hate to admit i need a bridge car first.

I will like you suggest work out my true milage, my true cost of my current car, and see which works out best.
You are correct to ask other owners / previous owners of the car for there opinions.
Previous owners have probably moved on to a full BEV by now, so are able to offer you a good comparison between a ICE car ( petrol or oil burner ) then a PHEV and then a BEV.
To be totally honest, I do not think I am totally alone on singing the praises of the GTE here.
A lot of now EV owners still have very good memories of the time spent with the GTE, myself included.
An afternoon with “Man Maths” should decide your fate.
When I first test drove the GTE back in 2015 - Within about 200 yards I was hooked.
Having never driven anything that was powered by electric propulsion, it felt like nothing else I had ever driven.
As a long time retired tech myself, I have driven everything from a 2CV to an Aston Martin back in the day, so it takes something really different to make me sit up and take notice.
I have been lucky enough to own a lot of good cars over the many I have been driving, a lot of them from new.
I have owned many of the Golf models over the years ( but never an oil burner ) and they have all turned out to be good cars, but the GTE is without a doubt the best one I ever had.
A good car to start with, but with the introduction of the part electric drive, this put the car on another level for me.
When the electric bugs bites, it bites hard and your pretty much knackered then alright.
Try and get a test drive in a GTE or an EV before you make a final decision would be my best advice.
Moving from your present oil burner to either of these options is a night and day difference, trust me !.
The “Man Maths” have to stack up of course, but there is also the pleasure / smile factor to consider in your calculations here as well.
Do the maths, get a test drive - then move on !.
Buy with your head and not your heart of course, but life is to short as I am sure we all full understand currently.
Good luck with your “Number Crunching” and I am sure you will come to the right decision for you.
Because that’s all that matters anymore.
Take care and take a test drive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For the sort of regular journey you are doing, I think the GTE is still a great car.

Should you be interested, I'm selling our very well cared for and highly specified 2015 (£0 VED :) ) car - details here:

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,568 Posts
Any PHEV suffers from a lot of complexity with two drivetrains integrated into the space designed for one. In the case of the GTE these meet at the gearbox which requires scheduled servicing which is not simple and can result in jerky changes. Apart from that and the slow loss of EV range as the battery ages it's an excellent choice.
The choice of a PHEV works best if most of your journeys between charges are under 30 miles. If you mainly make longer journeys or cannot recharge then they are of less benefit.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
The choice of a PHEV works best if most of your journeys between charges are under 30 miles.
I totally agree, the OP has a regular daily commute of only 12 miles which the GTE will cover, even with its smallish pack.
But also has the back up of the ICE when travelling further a field.
I think a BEV will be a better option long term, but some serious head scratching is required first I think.
His availability of both Phev's and EV's are very limited in his location.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts