Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In January rumors started about a truck made by Tesla. While this would seem very odd at first, let’s not forget that the three best-selling cars in the United States are trucks and that Tesla’s technology would make a lot of sense. Well, back in March, Elon Musk said that a 2017 Tesla Pickup Truck would be a real possibility for them and even though there are no current plans for making one, a Tesla truck would be a really interesting car.
2017 Tesla Pickup Truck Concept

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
It would be rubbish with current battery tech.

You can't escape the fact energy density limits payload and towing range. So just because a market is large, if you don't have a product that suits that market, then better not to enter it.

PHEV Pickups would be preferable until we can solve this fundamental issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
It would be rubbish with current battery tech.

You can't escape the fact energy density limits payload and towing range. So just because a market is large, if you don't have a product that suits that market, then better not to enter it.

PHEV Pickups would be preferable until we can solve this fundamental issue.
I'm sure there's a subset of F150 buyers who never tow anything and don't travel more than 200 miles per day, for who a Model X derived truck would offer better performance and lower running costs, with the same curb appeal today. The subset does get bigger as energy density improves. You only need 400 miles range to match the V8 F150.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
This could be our ideal 2nd car, perfect for short community, and plenty of space for all the goodies when we go camping !

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@Lee Dalton
As a reformed pickup owner having moved to minivans I'd rather Tesla put sliding doors and removable seats on the X ;)

Interestingly minivans are enjoying a real popularity resurgence in the US right now (33% growth in sector) so if anything Tesla should capitalise on that ;)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@Edd Beesley sure there will be a subset, but the big bluff completely unaerodynamic styling (which you pay for at the pump) does appeal to the target audience.

When the new L200 was launched here they immediately lost market share as it was seen as girly.

It got the nickname the hairdressers pickup.

Right now with current tech. I would think it a poor target segment for Tesla.

Certainly lots of demand for the Ranger in the US for more economical trucks though... So maybe times will change.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
@Lee Dalton
As a reformed pickup owner having moved to minivans I'd rather Tesla put sliding doors and removable seats on the X ;)

Interestingly minivans are enjoying a real popularity resurgence in the US right now (33% growth in sector) so if anything Tesla should capitalise on that ;)
@Simon Mac
As an also reformed pickup owner 4 times over, I'm a massive fan of the separate rear that you can wash out with a pressure washer :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts