Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I have had my 2018 Passat GTE for a few weeks now and noticed that there is a squeaking / rattling noise over speed bumps. My guess is dry bushes or bad drop links. I have seen a few people with this issue also and they have mentioned a possible TSB for this problem. However when I spoke to VW they said there was no outstanding TSB's for my car.

Has anyone had this issue and had VW fix it via a TSB?

Cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not speaking but clunking is a known problem on the Golf, especially over speed bumps. I assume the Passat has the same running gear. Mine originally had a lithium grease applied to the bushes but the clunking came back. Last September my dealer changed the bushes. Don’t know how many and which ones as I never got any paperwork from the dealer but the car is quiet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the info, as mine is out of warrenty I will more than likely carry out the work myself if they are not feeling generous carrying out a known TSB. It seems they are reluctant to tell customers what they fix with this issue, as everyone who has had work carried out to fix it said they had limited info from VW also. Strange.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My 2018 Passat has creaking front suspension when going over bumps. I raised it with the dealer at both the first and second service, but surprise surprise they couldn't hear anything. I'll raise it again at the 3rd service and maybe insist that they come out with me for a drive this time. And if when they do eventually hear it they say it's out of warranty I'll point out that I raised it with them while it was still in warranty (the comment is documented at both services), they just took a long time to diagnose it!

·
Registered
392 Posts
That said, if I knew what the problem was and how to fix it, I probably would just fix it myself as it's less hassle! So if you do figure out what it is, let me know!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
If you have the same creaking and groaning noise I had in my 2015 GTE when slowly passing over speed bumps, than YES there is a service notice to cover this problem.
This subject has been covered on the Golf GTE page.
My car was fixed under warranty and it involved dropping the FRONT lower arms and applying some of the recommended grease from VW.
The creaking and groaning stopped straight away !.
I do not know the VW service notice number sorry.
VW had stated that when customers had reported / complained about noise from the front suspension, that any warranty claims for replacement items would be rejected, unless this update had been carried out first !.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen it mentioned about the Golf's, VW said the TSB was only for the Golf and not the passat, so they basically said if the TSB is not in the computer they can't do it. But they can charge me to check for any problems of course.. Im going to grease the wishbone bushes tonight so will report back if it works. Ill take some pictures also.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I have seen it mentioned about the Golf's, VW said the TSB was only for the Golf and not the passat, so they basically said if the TSB is not in the computer they can't do it. But they can charge me to check for any problems of course.. Im going to grease the wishbone bushes tonight so will report back if it works. Ill take some pictures also.

Cheers
Strange it’s only the Golf that’s effected.
The senior tech told me that VW had introduced the service bulletin because they had been receiving claims from dealers for front suspension part replacement items, such as struts / top bushes etc.
VW launched an investigation program and found that the the noise that customers had been complaining about, originated from lower arms where they attach to the frame.
They rectified the problem by unbolting the lower links and applying some type of recommended grease.
Apparently, this “Special” grease is supplied to the dealer by request.
My guess is it will be just some type of rubber grease, like of the common or garden Red type ?.
A service bulletin was then put out by VW saying that parts and labour requests for replacement part claims under warranty would be rejected unless this modification was carried out first.
If this request was not carried out prior to parts replacement, then the dealer would be responsible for picking up the bill !.
It could not be the same issue on the Passat or maybe just not enough people have complained to the dealer about it ?.
As in most cases, these things are generated by cost !.
VW supplying a lot of front suspension parts to dealers when it the problem was curable with one hour of labour and 5p worth of grease !.
Good luck, I hope it cures the groaning noise !.
Mine had been done almost 18 months, when one cold day I did hear a very small groan coming from one side of the car on a very cold morning again.
I guess the grease had started to dry out after this length of time.
The noise was first present after the car was only about 7 months old and was louder when the ambient temperature was low.
It was terrible, you could feel it right through the car !.
The fix was noticeable pretty much straight away when I drove over the speed bumps at the dealership !.
We have four sets of rubber speed bumps outside of our local school.
On the following morning after the repair, it was -5 so it was a good time to test on the school run for our grand daughter.
No groaning, good result !.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, Im in Sweden so we get a lot of cold weather, its not extremely low at the moment but that is also probably a factor of how bad the noise is for sure. Either way I hope to fix it either with VW's help or by myself. Ill pass the info on to VW and see what they say but I think they will drag their heels and say no.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the car up on the ramp last night and spray lubed all bushes and joints, plus i found that the headlight level indicator was sticking and sounded horrible so lubed that also. Drive home was silent no more creaks!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I had the car up on the ramp last night and spray lubed all bushes and joints, plus i found that the headlight level indicator was sticking and sounded horrible so lubed that also. Drive home was silent no more creaks!
Winner, winner - chicken diner.
I am still convinced it has the same problem as the Golf !.
A least you know it’s not any of the suspension parts at fault.
I would leave it now until the better weather, then consider having the lower arms dropped and greased for a longer term fix.
The spray lubricant offers a short term fix to identify the problem, but this will dry out and the groaning may return.
But you now know it’s nothing to worry about !.
A little worrying that you can find out this type of stuff from the forum, but BUT not from the VW dealer !.
As much use as a chocolate fire guard !.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to soon, it was creaking again this morning, waiting to hear back from VW senior tech. If i drop the wishbones ill replace with poly bushes and remove the oem crap altogether. Out of principle I don't want to touch it but if they fob me off with some story then thats the route ill go.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I spoke to soon, it was creaking again this morning, waiting to hear back from VW senior tech. If i drop the wishbones ill replace with poly bushes and remove the oem crap altogether. Out of principle I don't want to touch it but if they fob me off with some story then thats the route ill go.
I am not really surprised it came back.
If by using a penetrating spray, like WD40 - this is great for a short term fix to identify the problem, but it does not really contain any long term lubrication properties.
Penetration spray is fantastic for use on rusty nuts / bolts and general squeaks, but unless you then back up the fixing with some sort of lub, the nut & bolt will seize up again in no time.
Sorry, I guess you already aware of this !.
Yeah - Upgrading the bottom arm bushes would be a good option.
But, is the the car still under warranty ?.
If so, I would stick with the OEM bushes for now.
Dropping the arms and greasing the sides of the bushes, will at least prove you are on the correct path !.
A proof of concept.
I would not dive straight in and replace the bushes first.
Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car is out of warrenty but Im arguing the fact it should be fixed anyway if a TSB can be found. I used lubricant PTFE spray to see if it woIuld help, I agree WD40 is not a lubricant. I think it is the design of the lower amr inner bushes which causes the issue. Ill see what VW say hoping to get a reply today.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Did you purchase the car from the same dealership ?.
You would think they would do it anyway !.
It’s less than one hour worth of labour and about 20p worth of grease for gods sake !.
Bloody dealerships are all the same, no money, no fix !.
Don’t get me started on this subject.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No i got the car from a generic car dealership, they have been helpful in fairness. Its up to VW now to choose what they do next.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting. Recently I have noticed a slight squeaking / creaking noise when going over speed bumps. I thought it may have been some of the "stuff" I had in the boot, but I emptied it out and it is definitely an external noise.Mine is due back to dealers on 10th March (3rd time lucky) to finally try and resolve the side / rear assist error, so I will ask the dealer what he knows about this. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update - I changed my anti roll bar drop links yesterday and the noise has gone, right hand side was badly worn after 30,000km. Hopefully that's the creaking noise fixed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts