Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Bmw i3s 120ah 2019
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I am looking for used i3 and something i dont understand.
In description it states 186miles range but on board computer shows 101 (eco pro+ full battery).
Sooo anybody knows range on those?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,152 Posts
Hi - take a look through the details here:

·
Registered
828 Posts
The link above is for a 90 Ahr car. The later (2018 -) car is 120 Ahr and has a longer range. If you have seen a range of 186 miles it will be the later version. Based on my experience, 160 - 170 miles is a reasonable expectation in summer but this drops significantly in winter depending on how much heating etc. is being used, perhaps 130 - 150 miles. The range displayed in the car is based on average recent trips so could have been run in Comfort mode, heating on, max acceleration, motorway speeds etc.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,152 Posts
I’m pretty certain OP is talking about a 94 Ah version, for which the NEDC range is 186 miles.

You’d be doing very badly to see a GOM range of 101 miles in a fully charged 120 Ah i3 !

·
Registered
828 Posts
I’m pretty certain OP is talking about a 94 Ah version, for which the NEDC range is 186 miles.

You’d be doing very badly to see a GOM range of 101 miles in a fully charged 120 Ah i3 !
Could be. I bought my 120 Ahr in late 2018. As you say, 101 miles on GOM is very low and 186 miles for the 94 Ahr unrealistic!

·
Registered
131 Posts
As a real world example, our 94Ahr does something over 130miles in the summer and a smidge under 100 in winter on its diet of mostly short runs (5 miles each way) and the occasional longish run of 45 miles each way. This is in comfort mode with no driving or comfort concessions to maximising range other than staying within the speed limit on motorways.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
662 Posts
As another real world example, my 120Ah rarely does more than 100 miles before I decide to charge it again. :)
Really wish they would stop attempting to quote range and just start quoting mi/KWh. Then you can treat that data just like you used to treat the mpg ratings for petrol/diesel cars ...

·
Registered
434 Posts
As another real world example, my 120Ah rarely does more than 100 miles before I decide to charge it again. :)
Really wish they would stop attempting to quote range and just start quoting mi/KWh. Then you can treat that data just like you used to treat the mpg ratings for petrol/diesel cars ...
As in 4m/kWh with a 37kWh capacity
Mpg doesn't make too much sense these days with petrol being sold in litres. However, I am not a fan of the litres/100k or Wh/mile measures. With our crazy mix of imperial and metric units, maybe we should adopt mpl and mpkWh. Although I guess what we are really looking for is cost/mile, but there are so many variables. As for Ah - we don't really need to know...

·
Registered
185 Posts
As a real world example, our 94Ahr does something over 130miles in the summer and a smidge under 100 in winter on its diet of mostly short runs (5 miles each way) and the occasional longish run of 45 miles each way. This is in comfort mode with no driving or comfort concessions to maximising range other than staying within the speed limit on motorways.
Same for me. I was just reflecting on this, as my i3 just had its third birthday. Cannot see any reduction in battery performance. Have you noticed any change?

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
662 Posts
It does quote mi/kWh - button on the end of one of the stalks (left I think it was)
I think by that I mean marketing, not the dashboard. The dashboard is live data, but the marketing guys insist on quoting meaningless range numbers - and the issue with this is that people really directly understand them, and are therefore instantly disappointed when they don't achieve them. Quoting a miles per gallon number and not achieving it is neither here nor there to a car owner, and most users won't even notice. The same would be true if mi/kwh was quoted and most of this fuss and noise would go away.

Meanwhile, the dashboard should show kwh remaining. Or, as the Tesla does "kwh * standard mi/kwh" which doesn't attempt to take into account the usage patterns of the driver/ etc.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Meanwhile, the dashboard should show kwh remaining. Or, as the Tesla does "kwh * standard mi/kwh" which doesn't attempt to take into account the usage patterns of the driver/ etc.
It does this with the long blue line in a similar way to an ice fuel guage. Very rarely do they report how many gallons are left, just a simple half or quarter full ,like our i3s...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Same for me. I was just reflecting on this, as my i3 just had its third birthday. Cannot see any reduction in battery performance. Have you noticed any change?
Ours will be 3 in August. No battery degradation at all for us yet - glad to read on here that that seems to be the norm on the i3.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
662 Posts
It does this with the long blue line in a similar way to an ice fuel guage. Very rarely do they report how many gallons are left, just a simple half or quarter full ,like our i3s...
Sure but this just gives you a visual guess, next to the numerical guess the car is making. In ice they just don't know at all (though my car says 8 / 15 gallons).. they have a really badly inaccurate fuel level reading from the sender in the tank so yeah this is approximate at best. However the EV knows pretty precisely how much charge is remaining. It would be trivial to implement an accurate guage with calibrated values, or simply to present the number to the driver and stop focussing on the guesswork range value that might well drop below your planned journey /during/ the journey. False sense of security thus provided.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sure but this just gives you a visual guess, next to the numerical guess the car is making. In ice they just don't know at all (though my car says 8 / 15 gallons).. they have a really badly inaccurate fuel level reading from the sender in the tank so yeah this is approximate at best. However the EV knows pretty precisely how much charge is remaining. It would be trivial to implement an accurate guage with calibrated values, or simply to present the number to the driver and stop focussing on the guesswork range value that might well drop below your planned journey /during/ the journey. False sense of security thus provided.
If you have the satnav active, it will adjust the guessometer according to your planned route
Numerical % remaining is available from the onboard computer as well as mpkWh...

·
Registered
BMW i3
415 Posts
If you have the satnav active, it will adjust the guessometer according to your planned route
Numerical % remaining is available from the onboard computer as well as mpkWh...
When I first got it I didn’t notice that the GOM can alter after putting in a destination - can be disconcerting as seems it assumes you’ll be doing the speed limits whereas if it’s a “long” trip I budget to be doing 60 odd on the motorway!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts