Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Lotus Exige. Volvo XC90
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the Soul for one week now and covered approx 200miles.

Here's my thoughts on the Soul (our first ever EV) which I thought I would share.
  • Smooth and relaxing drive.
  • Tackles speed bumps and pot holes very well, not crashing and no scuttle shake.
  • Everything is close to hand for the driver.
  • The light in the charging socket is a nice touch.
  • Charging is a doddle and at night with the in car charger timer is faultless.
  • Comfortable driving position with plenty of adjustment.
  • Good sized storage in the front... Door pockets, glove box etc.
  • The B setting when driving makes you judge distance, improving economy and slowing the car to junctions is a breeze.
  • Nippy when you need to overtake, especially with ECO off for a moment.
  • Great visibility and large mirrors.
  • Heated driving wheel, isn't actually a gimmick.
Things I don't like or annoy me.
  • The storage net in boot. When fitted you can't open the false floor to access the charge cables as the lower hook tabs catch the boot floor.
  • The charging lights are bright. They need covering at night unless you want the neighbours to think there's a police car outside. No option to dim them.
  • The charging lights are not central to the upper dash (this bugs my OCD).
  • The switch to turn off charging times. It can be hard to see if this has been accidentally pressed when releasing the charging flap.
  • The parking sensors, I can hardly hear them. No volume control.
  • Instead of the naff speaker lights, i would rather budget was spent on a front passenger seat that can be raised. Thus giving the rear passenger somewhere to put there feet and more room.
  • Wing mirrors folding out when approaching the car. Annoying if the keys are in your pocket and you are just walking past the car.

Have to say though, my wife absolutely loves this car and the times i have driven it, it has been enjoyable.
We have gone from £20/week in diesel to an expected £6/week in electric, plus no RFL. So we are saving money as well as doing even more for the planet.

Would I recommend a used Soul EV? Absolutely.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
800 Posts
In my 2020 Soul, the mirrors coming out when you approach the car thing is an option in the settings. I can set it either to "on door unlock" or "on approach". I tried it with the "on approach" setting because I thought it would be cool. It got old very quickly, and I set it back to door unlock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm getting anything from 3.8m/kWh to 4.9m/kWh. This is shopping trips, school & college runs on A and B roads.
These all have heating on with lights and wipers occasionally. All trips in B drive setting.
Monday I did 6 miles to school, then another 5 miles for shopping, total 11 miles and only lost 5 from the range. Plugged her into a PodPoint free charger, did my shopping and went home (5 miles). On the drive back home i had the same range as when i left. So that was a free morning out!
Never had the car charged above 85 miles range and it currently gets topped up on a granny charger, untill next Thursday when I'm getting a 7kW EO Mini 2, on Octopus Go.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm getting anything from 3.8m/kWh to 4.9m/kWh. This is shopping trips, school & college runs on A and B roads.
These all have heating on with lights and wipers occasionally. All trips in B drive setting.
Monday I did 6 miles to school, then another 5 miles for shopping, total 11 miles and only lost 5 from the range. Plugged her into a PodPoint free charger, did my shopping and went home (5 miles). On the drive back home i had the same range as when i left. So that was a free morning out!
Never had the car charged above 85 miles range and it currently gets topped up on a granny charger, untill next Thursday when I'm getting a 7kW EO Mini 2, on Octopus Go.
Excellent! Looking forwards to going to Tesco to shop and a free charge :D When I test drove the car, I was using D then slipping it into B when approaching braking zones, while this worked it was a bit clunky. Having read, seems the best way is to use B around town and modulate the braking with the accelerator, making it an almost one pedal drive, is this how you're using it? I'd use D mode on faster roads I image. Looking forward to seeing what efficiency I get and doing some range tests!

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
335 Posts
Obviously it's a matter of preference, but I see no reason not to use B at all times. One pedal driving becomes a natural reflex after an hour or so, and the transition between accelerating and regenerative braking is imperceptible. The only difference between B and D is the level of braking when lifting the foot - D does not disable braking; just reduces it, so that it feels like an ICE car with a low drag torque converter.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Obviously it's a matter of preference, but I see no reason not to use B at all times. One pedal driving becomes a natural reflex after an hour or so, and the transition between accelerating and regenerative braking is imperceptible. The only difference between B and D is the level of braking when lifting the foot - D does not disable braking; just reduces it, so that it feels like an ICE car with a low drag torque converter.
I'll certainly be trying to use the B mode when I get it, I've also read that the regen is increased in ECO mode, have you found this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Always use ECO (why wouldn't you) and always use B for driving. One foot driving becomes so natural in just a few miles.
Took my company car out today (ICE Automatic) for the first time in two weeks, I nearly rear ended a car in front as I was expecting it to auto brake:rolleyes::oops:

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
350 Posts
I like the 'B' mode as I always used engine braking in my ICE vehicles and it feels more natural with the added bonus of occasionally seeing the odd % increase in remaining battery, which is nice. I tried it in 'D' over the weekend to compare consumption and nearly got caught out by the lack of that additional braking a couple of times (approaching islands a little too fast :eek: ). There is a bit of a consumption difference and I'll probably be staying in 'B' from now on.
Very good to know about the brake light in 'B' mode, so thanks for that (y)

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
158 Posts
I like the 'B' mode as I always used engine braking in my ICE vehicles and it feels more natural with the added bonus of occasionally seeing the odd % increase in remaining battery, which is nice. I tried it in 'D' over the weekend to compare consumption and nearly got caught out by the lack of that additional braking a couple of times (approaching islands a little too fast :eek: ). There is a bit of a consumption difference and I'll probably be staying in 'B' from now on.
Very good to know about the brake light in 'B' mode, so thanks for that (y)
you'll also save on brake Pad/discs wear!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts