Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More advice needed please: I'm charging the battery from the granny charger, supplied with the car until a cheapo 7kw unit comes my way. Tonight I ventured into the unknown by setting the charge timer to start and stop, with a cabin pre-heat in time to drive to work tomorrow. It seems like I can't set the charger to run up to a pre-determined percentage unless it's 100% - is this correct? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes that's right, pre-2017 cars could set this to 80% but they removed the feature because apparently the american EPA score would've given the car a range rating at 80% capacity... or something.

We usually set a timer assuming 25% gain per hour plus a 15 mins margin (we have the 27kWh model). For your 30kWh I'd perhaps try 20% per hour plus a margin?

This is for your 7kW charger... on your granny lead you're probably looking at 8% per hour..?

PITA, I know.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying so fast! Roughly what I expected. I was hoping there was a software update to cure it, but it looks like I'll have to live with it. As you say, if we know how many percent it charges in an hour, just set the timer for a well-estimated percentage duration.
I'm still very happy with the car. In the grand scheme of things, not being able to charge to a specific percentage isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I can confirm for the 30kWh Soul 20% added per hour is about right. I’ve been using that formula as I normally charge to about 70% and is always within a few % of expected. Pod point have just upgraded their app to allow scheduled charging. This means you can now charge the Soul remotely with the app. I‘ve not tried it yet as this feature only got added yesterday.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
329 Posts
I have what I believe is the cheapest 7.2 kW charger, and I'm very pleased with it - the QUBEV.. I find it does 20% per hour plus 20 min. on my 30 kWh 2018 Soul EV.

It has a Type 2 socket for the KIA Type1/Type2 cable, which is a good thing. I've just read about a Peugeot which won't release the charging connector, and the cable is captive at the wall point, so the owner has to call a domestic electrician to disable and remove the charge point before the car can be recovered to the dealer!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Y
I have what I believe is the cheapest 7.2 kW charger, and I'm very pleased with it - the QUBEV.. I find it does 20% per hour plus 20 min. on my 30 kWh 2018 Soul EV.

It has a Type 2 socket for the KIA Type1/Type2 cable, which is a good thing. I've just read about a Peugeot which won't release the charging connector, and the cable is captive at the wall point, so the owner has to call a domestic electrician to disable and remove the charge point before the car can be recovered to the dealer!
Yes, the tethered/untethered thing has been going through my mind a lot over the past week. I had considered the convenience of a built-in cable against the better aesthetics of a cordless one, but hadn't thought about the charging lead being trapped at the car end. I'm still keener on the tethered side for convenience though.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 30kWh
126 Posts
Soul EV doesn't trap the lead at the car end.If you unlock the car, the lead can be removed whilst still charging

At pod-point chargers, I have to remove the lead from the car first which unlocks the lead from the Charger.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Another couple of reasons for going for an untethered charger:

If the lead fails you can replace it without needing a charger repair. Our pod point cable failed and had to be replaced. Was a warranty repair fortunately.

If you change car in future chances are it will be type 2 not type 1. You then either need to get an electrician to install a new tethered cable, or buy an adapter which might not be the best solution.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
329 Posts
Soul EV doesn't trap the lead at the car end.If you unlock the car, the lead can be removed whilst still charging
The problem with the Peugeot was that the lead remained trapped despite the car having been unlocked. Whilst I have not heard of this happening with the Soul EV, I imagine it could happen. Mechanisms do become stuck.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts

At pod-point chargers, I have to remove the lead from the car first which unlocks the lead from the Charger.
If you try and remove the lead from the car side, the charger will be shutdown in the fraction of a second before the connector is removed, due to the proximity pin.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was about to post this question, as it just annoys me my previous PHEV had the ability to set charging times (between A and B) + up to a max % but not on the Soul.
Seems like it either start charge at X time up to 100% or just charge between this and that time.
Surely it's just a software thing? But I guess Kia isn't gonna do enhancement on what they see as an 'old' car with the EV6 announced.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 30kWh
126 Posts
Me too, Though I am getting quite good at manual scheduling to get around 80-85% on a granny charger. 20% is around 3hours for me at home. I am going to invest in a Zappi soon, as EDF are now letting me upgrade my old smets 1 meter in May.

Does anyone know if Zappi app allows you to set max charge percentage?

7.2kWh POD Point near work (at Sainburys) on manages to get 50% in 3 hours. this only works out as 5kWh. But is free and parking is too, so I shouldn't complain. ;)

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 30kWh
126 Posts
I don't see how it could know what percentage charge the car has reached, so no. The charging is controlled by the car's BMS.
I was wathcing a Octopus Agile video where the reviewer mentioned smart charger intergration witg KIA E-Niro.
So, I asked OHME and they said that 30kWh is KIA API is integrated, to allow smart scheduling (controller by ohme charger), i.e. you can create a charge schedule for 80% charge every day by 06:00.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 30kWh
126 Posts
Sorry @IanL, mybad. You were correct.

The information I got from OHME was not correct. When I asked OHME again, that if there is no smartphone app, does the API work through the charge cable, and this time I got a reply that it doesn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts