Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car should have had the software, firmware and maps updated before I bought it, but the Kia dealership I bought it from didn't do it. Could anyone answer my latest questions please?

1) Can I update the above myself?

2) Does Android Auto work on Bluetooth after updating? It currently works well, but only with a cable.

3) I noticed my car has had a new 12v battery - not brilliant for a car under 3 years old. What's the best way of keeping it in good health for longevity? I did consider a solar charger plugged into a dashboard 12v outlet.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
My car should have had the software, firmware and maps updated before I bought it, but the Kia dealership I bought it from didn't do it. Could anyone answer my latest questions please?

1) Can I update the above myself?

2) Does Android Auto work on Bluetooth after updating? It currently works well, but only with a cable.

3) I noticed my car has had a new 12v battery - not brilliant for a car under 3 years old. What's the best way of keeping it in good health for longevity? I did consider a solar charger plugged into a dashboard 12v outlet.

Thanks in advance.
3) would you rather you had a degraded afailing 12v battery with the chance of being stuck on the side of the road? Was your car parked up for long periods during Covid lockdown ( this would have killed the 12v)

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
3) would you rather you had a degraded afailing 12v battery with the chance of being stuck on the side of the road? Was your car parked up for long periods during Covid lockdown ( this would have killed the 12v)
PS, is the cigarette lighter outlet live with the car turned off - I don't think so.😦

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
249 Posts
PS, is the cigarette lighter outlet live with the car turned off - I don't think so.😦
No, it's not. To keep the 12V battery in good shape when not using the car, leave the car parked with the traction battery ON (not ACC mode) or recharging for an hour periodically (say once or twice a week). Either will charge the 12V battery. Alternatively, use a trickle charger.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ive done less than 1000 miles in the last 12 months, the Soul has sat on the drive virtually all the time, sometimes not being driven for a couple of weeks. If it got to longer than that I have given the 12v a trickle charge, but that was only about 3 times. The original 12v battery is still good (it’s a 67 plate). Not sure why this kills the battery sometimes and not others. I thought I might have run into issues over winter but it was still fine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it's not. To keep the 12V battery in good shape when not using the car, leave the car parked with the traction battery ON (not ACC mode) or recharging for an hour periodically (say once or twice a week). Either will charge the 12V battery. Alternatively, use a trickle charger.
No, of course I didn't want the original shagged 12v battery. Sadly I have no idea what the previous user done with the car - all I have to go on is the lies told by the salesman.
I've read on here about the 12v batteries not lasting long and wondered what the general solution was. My diesel Volvo needed a new battery last autumn - the original one lasted 7 years.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
249 Posts
No, of course I didn't want the original shagged 12v battery. Sadly I have no idea what the previous user done with the car - all I have to go on is the lies told by the salesman.
I've read on here about the 12v batteries not lasting long and wondered what the general solution was. My diesel Volvo needed a new battery last autumn - the original one lasted 7 years.
Original batteries in Swedish cars do last longer - I had a SAAB which lasted 8 years. They use better quality materials. You can expect 4 to 5 years from "normal" batteries in "normal" use.

Modern cars do run their batteries down faster when not in use, because the electronics have larger "keep-alive" demands. Allowing the charge to run down to near zero will greatly shorten the battery life.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 30kWh
123 Posts
You can do it yourself if you can find working links/torrent to the software and the Map. Look for KIA GEN 4.x. You can even update using the original SD Card (please backup if you go that route)
There was an issue with the 2020 map and which meant there was an update in July 2020.

The thing which put me off going DIY route (or via dealer) was how good Carplay is. I use Carplay for Waze and listening to my podcast. Most other apps I would use in the care like Spotify are available on Carplay.

As far as I know Android Auto or Carplay will not work wirelessly via bluetooth with this head unit

There is a hack if you manage to upgrade, which if it works, will allow you to sideload android apks on the main android based o/s on the headunit.

12v Batteries are well and truly covered to tedium on other topics on this forum, just use the search.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can do it yourself if you can find working links/torrent to the software and the Map. Look for KIA GEN 4.x. You can even update using the original SD Card (please backup if you go that route)
There was an issue with the 2020 map and which meant there was an update in July 2020.

The thing which put me off going DIY route (or via dealer) was how good Carplay is. I use Carplay for Waze and listening to my podcast. Most other apps I would use in the care like Spotify are available on Carplay.

As far as I know Android Auto or Carplay will not work wirelessly via bluetooth with this head unit

There is a hack if you manage to upgrade, which if it works, will allow you to sideload android apks on the main android based o/s on the headunit.

12v Batteries are well and truly covered to tedium on other topics on this forum, just use the search.
Thanks Neely. Today I emailed my local Kia dealer for clarification to the updates/Bluetooth questions. We'll see what they say, but I reckon they'll say it has to be done by them at stupidly High cost. I don't hold out much hope for the Bluetooth Android Auto, but it costs nothing to ask.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't think much of Volvo batteries then I had a diesel Kia Proceed and the original Hyundai/Kia Solite battery failed at 11 yrs old.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul EV
74 Posts
Thanks Neely. Today I emailed my local Kia dealer for clarification to the updates/Bluetooth questions. We'll see what they say, but I reckon they'll say it has to be done by them at stupidly High cost. I don't hold out much hope for the Bluetooth Android Auto, but it costs nothing to ask.
I have a 2018 Kia Soul. I booked my car in at the local Kia dealer to have the software and maps updated. I was quoted £30 for the maps and nothing for the software update. However, when I went to collect the car I was told "no charge sir, you had your car serviced here at the beginning of the year".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts