Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, about 5 months into owning our 2019 e Golf, our HOA locked it in our garage due to a dry rot issue on an overhead balcony. They told us it would take about 2-3 weeks to fix and it has been 6 months now. I've started it twice over the 6 month period, but never charged it. Just now we were going to roll it back (trying to prevent flat spots on tires) and it did the following:

Dash errors:

1) Error: Can't charge
2) Error: Airbag
3) Error: Brakes (brakes moved)

From there it flashed the emergency lights in a pattern and cycled through those error codes quickly.

Now it won't do anything and won't take a charge. It is still locked in the garage at this time. Is there anything we can do?

Sorry if this has been covered, new to forum and link to post would help.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes that sounds like a 12v battery issue. The large traction battery chargers the 12v battery but only when the car is on so just like in a fossil fuel car if it's not used for a long period the 12v battery depletes and then on a VW EV gives those type of errors. Hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: Baumer

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi, about 5 months into owning our 2019 e Golf, our HOA locked it in our garage due to a dry rot issue on an overhead balcony. They told us it would take about 2-3 weeks to fix and it has been 6 months now. I've started it twice over the 6 month period, but never charged it. Just now we were going to roll it back (trying to prevent flat spots on tires) and it did the following:

Dash errors:

1) Error: Can't charge
2) Error: Airbag
3) Error: Brakes (brakes moved)

From there it flashed the emergency lights in a pattern and cycled through those error codes quickly.

Now it won't do anything and won't take a charge. It is still locked in the garage at this time. Is there anything we can do?

Sorry if this has been covered, new to forum and link to post would help.
If charging the battery does not solve the problem (don't panic just be prepared to purchase a new battery) I have read a lot of stuff recently of the 12V battery problem being a well know issue by manufacturers , its old technology that works best being used hard, the 12v gets marginal use and is prone to the plates basically clogging up.
Tesla who else ! are apparently looking at a way of loading the 12 volt intermittently to overcome the problem .
VW have beaten them with a full proof method they sell you a new battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, everyone, this helps tremendously and makes sense. Any issue other than flat spots on the tires by letting it sit longer with the 12v dead? I'm not sure when we'll be able to free it from the garage due to city permits, steel ordering times, etc by this HOA. We have AAA thanks to our '84 Vanagon which I've learned much more about recently and haven't bothered with the EV since it has been undrivable. I'm guessing AAA doesn't want to snake through our house to jump a car that can't drive anyway.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
It's worth buying a decent battery charger/conditioner such as a CTEK unit*, disconnecting the negative terminal of the 12v and leaving to charge/float for a week. Modern chargers can bring even deeply discharged batteries back from close to dead as long as the plates haven't buckled. This may allow you to "start" the car and assess the state of the HV battery.
You asked for other suggestions - if possible pump the tyres up to 50psi which will help avoid them flat spotting. Also remove all food and food containers from the car to avoid vermin.
* I appreciate that you are in the USA and there may be different brands of battery chargers/conditioners, but CTEK are respected in Europe.

Reactions: Tooks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts