Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Nice to find this forum!

My 2019 Kia Niro EV has developed a disturbing quirk. A few days ago, it wouldn't start. I got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it, and it started. I ran a couple of errands, and it was fine. Two days later I got into the car, which had been unlocked in my garage, and it wouldn't start. I got out of the car, locked it, unlocked, and it started. Hmmm. Took it to Kia, and everything checked out. I even left it there overnight so they could leave it unlocked and try and replicate the problem. No dice. I drove it home, puzzled and a bit jittery about whether I can trust my car.

Due to COVID and working at home, I don't drive very much (have only drive 3700 miles since I got it last May). Might that have anything to do with it? Any ideas?

·
Registered
313 Posts
What is the voltage of your 12v battery ? Or if you don't have a multimeter, what did the garage measure it as ?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
142 Posts
If you leave the car unlocked for a long period (like overnight in your garage), I wouldn't be surprised if the keyfob is ignored until a lock/unlock command is received.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the voltage of your 12v battery ? Or if you don't have a multimeter, what did the garage measure it as ?
I looked over the paperwork, and there's nothing there, except that the battery checked out okay. The technician said that "over 400 is good, and yours was 491." Does that make sense?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I looked over the paperwork, and there's nothing there, except that the battery checked out okay. The technician said that "over 400 is good, and yours was 491." Does that make sense?
Wrong battery tested? That sounds like the main high-voltage battery powering the main motor of the EV, not the little 12v one under the bonnet for accessories and all the electronics!

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
909 Posts
That’s probably a CCA load test on the 12V battery (cold cranking amps).

Re the original query, did you leave the key fob inside the car (or even nearby outside) whilst leaving it unused in the garage? At a pure guess, that might do it. Whenever the key fob communicates (handshakes) with the car it is using a little energy from the fob battery. I’m wondering if after an extended period of communication without any other activity, the car software may cease the communication in order to preserve the little fob battery? Just a wild guess, but that might be the cause perhaps?
Either way I doubt it’s an actual fault? Perhaps just a quirk you have to live with. I would never leave mine unlocked even inside a locked garage.
Peter

·
Registered
105 Posts
Exactly, in most other cars if keyless keyfob is left in the cabin for hours with ignition off, keyless transponder is deactivated after a while. Lock-unlock the car by pressing buttons on keyfob then it will work normally again as keyless - a feature, not a bug.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'd second that too - for security it will immobilise after a while, a lock / unlock should sort it.

Might also be 12v battery

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had same problem last couple days but we noticed that car started fine with my husband but not for me. When I moved my android mobile phone into the boot, it started every time. Is it possible your phone is interfering with electronic starter? I'm pretty sure that is our problem and it's pretty frustrating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts