Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 14K miles on my EV and this is the 3rd time my aux battery has died. This last time the car was charged and parked in the garage for 4 days, not driven. When I got back in town and tried starting the car it was dead :-( I thought it might have happened because I did not turn off the fan when I shut the car down. I think it’s a pain if you have to make certain everything in the car is turned off when you get out.

I have also noticed the yellow emblem light on overnight which, after reading other comments, means my large battery is charging my aux 12v battery. I just made an appt to take the car in to be checked but mine is the only Kona EV in NE Florida as they are not sold here so I’m wondering if the service folks can figure out what’s wrong.

Anybody else having issues with their battery?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
94 Posts
I haven't had this problem, but when my Kona shuts down, it switches off everything including the fan. Some have commented that if the boot/trunk is not closed properly this can cause the systems to stay on and totally discharge the battery, so you could check how well the boot shuts - how level the metalwork is between car body and lid, and play around with screwing the rubber blocks that the boot/trunk lid closes onto. I guess this could also happen from the doors or the bonnet/engine opening lid too.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
I haven't had this problem, but when my Kona shuts down, it switches off everything including the fan. Some have commented that if the boot/trunk is not closed properly this can cause the systems to stay on and totally discharge the battery, so you could check how well the boot shuts - how level the metalwork is between car body and lid, and play around with screwing the rubber blocks that the boot/trunk lid closes onto. I guess this could also happen from the doors or the bonnet/engine opening lid too.
If the dashboard shows all doors & boot are closed then the switches are working!

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Anybody else having issues with their battery?
Lots of people. There are already a couple of threads about this. It's been going on for a year or more.

Hyundai have rolled out updates that should fix the problem, but once the battery has been flattened it seems you may need a new one as well as the updates to get past it. If you haven't had the updates - get them; though it sounds like your dealer may need assistance to do them correctly. (It seems it's easy to get the process wrong, so they don't take properly.)

·
Registered
Kona 64
655 Posts
I had my 12v battery replaced under warranty January 2020 @20,000 miles. It is likely that if the battery has been flattened several times it is beyond redemption. The 12v battery has a 2 year warranty in UK. The latest BMS update from last Autumn touch wood solves the problem.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
557 Posts
Based on an observation from a Canadian owner I did a test this morning to confirm. Leaving the hatch ajar (or presumably any other door) not only draws power off the aux battery but to add insult to injury also stops the scheduled 4-hourly charge from starting.

EDIT: here is the remainder of the day. The aux charging last bump is due to AC charging, so ignore. Also, I forgot to mention that my Kona does not have telematics (the app).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Based on an observation from a Canadian owner I did a test this morning to confirm. Leaving the hatch adjar (or presumably any other door) not only draws power off the aux battery but to add insult to injury also stops the scheduled 4-hourly charge from starting.

View attachment 140677
That explains a lot! A bit of an oversight by Hyundai there. Fortunately, if you have the BlueLink app, it pushes a notification to your phone to let you know if a door, bonnet or hatch is open.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,132 Posts
Fortunately, if you have the BlueLink app, it pushes a notification to your phone to let you know if a door, bonnet or hatch is open.
Assuming the connection between the car and the server, or the server and the app is working, I suppose. Almost each day at the moment, my app doesn’t work for some of the day, but is fine at other times (no rhyme nor reason for it - car is stationary in good signal location).

Do we know if the notifications about things like open doors are repeated? I’m guessing if the car tried to send one at a time when the app won’t connect that the notification wouldn’t appear and I’d be none the wiser - unless hopefully the notification attempts are repeated until they eventually get through to the app.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I think there is some possibility that using Bluelink carries a possible risk regarding the 12v battery - a US Kona forum had a posting last year from one of the regulars saying "my 12 V battery has been behaving lately but I still refuse to log into Bluelink after a hung command killed my battery some months ago".

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think there is some possibility that using Bluelink carries a possible risk regarding the 12v battery - a US Kona forum had a posting last year from one of the regulars saying "my 12 V battery has been behaving lately but I still refuse to log into Bluelink after a hung command killed my battery some months ago".
If I recall what happened there, our Canadian friend EE was using an Android emulator on a PC to host the BlueLink app, probably not a common scenario.

I've added the remainder of the day to my post to show that aux charging recovers. I'll also note that I don't yet have the latest 00D111 and 00D118 updates which are just a few weeks old.

Another thought is that the hatch is the only "door" that can be opened without formally unlocking the car. Left ajar, there's no indication other than the dash warning graphic and the lit odometer. With the hatch ajar I can still lock and unlock the car normally.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Another thought is that the hatch is the only "door" that can be opened without formally unlocking the car. Left ajar, there's no indication other than the dash warning graphic and the lit odometer. With the hatch ajar I can still lock and unlock the car normally.
Although there is an indication in the BlueLink app if you leave it open. Not sure if it indicates when the hatch isn't fully "banged" shut. I shall have to test it.

Update: The app shows tailgate as open when not securely closed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Update: The app shows tailgate as open when not securely closed.
I realise that UK Konas have the app but some worldwide markets had a delayed introduction or are still without it. Konas cost about $80k here, same as a Model 3, and we still don't have it, presumably because the importer is too cheap to pay for the cellular data.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts