Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Those that have 2,3 or 4 cars yes. Do you not think at least half of them have one car that is only used locally?
Many people have the sense to live close to shops, schools, family & work.
Are you honestly trying to tell me that over half of the UK's cars never go more than 80 miles in a day? Or put another way, if I asked all my neighbours if they own a car that has never travelled more than 80 miles in a day 50% of them would say yes?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
Article said:
The smaller battery pack could halve the i3’s 195-mile range
So, as the i3 actually tends to get 130-140 miles range, that means we can expect something comparable to the old iMiev in range. I'd rather BMW didn't build this abomination than embarrass the EV world with something so outdated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Should be just right for my Leaf PCP running out....
So BMW
Could we have a groundbreaking car-not just a BMW with a different body?
A car that looks like a MINI- no bigger than the 3 door hatch?
At least a 60kWH battery with at least 200 mile range-preferably more?
Fast acceleration, good handling, groundbreaking technology e.g. Motor in each 4 wheels, short overhangs, small mini (not MINI) length bonnet.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Should be just right for my Leaf PCP running out....
So BMW
Could we have a groundbreaking car-not just a BMW with a different body?
A car that looks like a MINI- no bigger than the 3 door hatch?
At least a 60kWH battery with at least 200 mile range-preferably more?
Fast acceleration, good handling, groundbreaking technology e.g. Motor in each 4 wheels, short overhangs, small mini (not MINI) length bonnet.
Unless I'm mistaken, the MINI E is just a variant of the existing 3-door Hatch

Small Cars - Hatchback - MINI 3 Door Hatch

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes....the original Spirit concepts would have made nice EV's. I don't think BMW intend to do anything revolutionary with the MINI. To be fair, the current 3 door hatch and convertible is a reasonably good looking car and might make a reasonable EV.
It seems odd that BMW have abandoned making revolutionary vehicles like the i8 and i3 and just want to stick a battery and motor in tired, old models. Yes, it costs less in development but it's half hearted and this may mean other manufacturers like Tesla and even Nissan with unique electric models will steal a march on them.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yes....the original Spirit concepts would have made nice EV's. I don't think BMW intend to do anything revolutionary with the MINI. To be fair, the current 3 door hatch and convertible is a reasonably good looking car and might make a reasonable EV.
It seems odd that BMW have abandoned making revolutionary vehicles like the i8 and i3 and just want to stick a battery and motor in tired, old models. Yes, it costs less in development but it's half hearted and this may mean other manufacturers like Tesla and even Nissan with unique electric models will steal a march on them.
It's not as simple as that. Manufacturers such as BMW and VAG design their vehicle platforms in a modular way, allowing for EV variants of ICE models. They are not ignoring EVs.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
MINI have started promoting the MINI E and showing pictures of the concept. I must say I think the styling is over the top. I appreciate it's only the concept, and the final model will probably just get a few bits of yellow plastic!

MINI Electric

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
So the Mini E is Electric but the E Pace is... The public are going to get very confused.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Over 20 seconds into a 56 second ad before the first glimpse of the car - and that's all you get throughout - glimpses. (n)

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
Remember they're selling a lifestyle, not a car. ;)
A lifestyle of not going very far if range predictions in this thread are true :D

Seriously though, not all Mini are second cars. My niece has a Mini and isn't insured to drive parents cars (too expensive) and drives distance to see friends (etc) so a low range EV version is of no use to her. My opinion is that range is bonkers if rumours are true.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts