Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased the Nissan Leaf in March of 2019, a few weeks to a few months after a rattle started to occur. I have never experienced such a rattle in any other vehicle but the Leaf!

The car has been back and forth to Nissan over the past couple of months to try and fix the rattle, but they haven't been able to reproduce the issue and therefore unable to fix the rattle.

I personally think it sounds like metal on metal and the sound comes from in or around the airbag on the front passenger side dash.

Here is a video displaying what I hear on a daily basis when driving the vehicle, eventhough the phone is held very close to the dash, the rattle can easily be heard through music when driving and from the back seat. Everyone I have driven around have noted how annoying the rattle is. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this rattle and how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,946 Posts
If you turn the aircon etc off does it still make the noise?

Sounds a bit like metal buzzing against glass so it might be in the door or that weird triangle window.

Also chuck out anything you have in the glove box, arm rest storage, gear selector storage and door bins just in case. I was driven mad by a weird noise and it was oddments rattling!

My Zoe used to buzz and rattle if the windows weren't raised to the right place. If they were shut shut they'd rattle but dropped a few mm and no noise. I'd hope Nissan would check that though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you turn the aircon etc off does it still make the noise?

Sounds a bit like metal buzzing against glass so it might be in the door or that weird triangle window.

Also chuck out anything you have in the glove box, arm rest storage, gear selector storage and door bins just in case. I was driven mad by a weird noise and it was oddments rattling!
There isn't anything in the glovebox but the car manual book. I put the locking wheel nuts into the cable bag in the boot as they were rattling, but were not the cause of the rattle in the dash. All storage areas are essentially empty with only a few plastic bags and tissues in there. I dismantled the lower half of the dashboard several months ago to try and diagnose the issue so took the glove box etc out and the rattle still occurred when tapping on top of the dashboard. The rattle was definitely coming from the airbag area.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,946 Posts
It's very annoying whatever it is!

It does sound a bit like a loose small nut or screw has fallen inside the dash somewhere. Do you have small children that might have dropped something in an air vent?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi there @IRLEV2019. I've had my 62 Leaf for 2 months and although I'm very pleased with it, I've booked it into the dealer this Wednesday for a couple of (hopefully) minor issues. One is a rear seatbelt bleeping issue (continues to bleep for about a minute after a passenger gets out). The other is passenger side dashboard vibration issue...

Mine is more of a vibration than a rattle and is quieter than yours. It mostly occurs at speeds above 40mph too, so I'm worried that the dealer will either not be able to replicate the conditions or fob me off. It is definitely there though, confirmed by my sceptical missus after I emptied the glove box and it was still audible. If the passenger presses quite hard against the padded part of the dash, it seems to stop or mute it.

So it may be different to your issue, but I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I had something similar after it was serviced that was something wrong with the ventilation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there @IRLEV2019. One is a rear seatbelt bleeping issue (continues to bleep for about a minute after a passenger gets out). The other is passenger side dashboard vibration issue...

If the passenger presses quite hard against the padded part of the dash, it seems to stop or mute it.

I have also noticed that when a passenger takes off their belt before coming to a stop the seatbelt warning will come on and stay on regardless of whether someone is sat in the seat or not. In order to stop it you must either wait a minute or two or restart the vehicle. I didn't know it was an issue though, just thought it might be a safety feature?

As for the rattle - one thing I forgot to mention was that if someone presses on the same part of the dash just above the fancy plastic mid piece and on the foamy/leather part of the dash the issue is also muted or stopped. Its a very annoying issue and the reason I posted this topic was to get the word out and see does anyone else have this issue as our local Nissan dealer hasn't seen it before.

·
Registered
596 Posts
On the 40Kwh, I had a rattle in area of the air vent, this was only on a reasonable hot day and the air conditioning fully on, all other times, quiet, no noise at all. Really annoying though, I stripped out air vent and put some lub sprays on the shutters thinking that the plastics were contracting and expanded with the severe temperature changes.

All to no avail, however I did discover the rattle was pressure sensitive, if I push hard on the area where the door closes and the dashboard begins, then perfect, the rattle stopped. Bought a small wooden door wedge and pushed it into that area, and it cured the rattle. The rattle only appeared on summer days that was hot, rest of the year okay, so was able to live with it, but have to agree nothing more annoying than a rattle and can be distracting whilst driving.

Try pushing a wedge in to see if makes any difference, also just to eliminate everything, check that the bonnet when closed is adjusted correctly, if the rubber screws are not right this causes the bonnet to rattle. Also the bonnet has a support strut arm that holds the bonnet up, when open, I have found that can rattle when secured into It’s fastening in the bonnet.

Check inside the front suspension strut housing to make sure nothing has got inside an is rattling around.

The 62KWh has been okay so far, the only rattle has been from the plastic cover on the window screen pillar, when it has been parked in the hot sun, short lived rattle and very temporary.

·
Registered
202 Posts
"dealer hasn't seen it before "

That's dealer speak for "I can't be bothered with this."
Rattles can be really time consuming to resolve and there's no profit in it for the dealers. I've never had someone from a dealer admit to hearing a rattle even when I'm sitting in the car with them and it's blatantly obvious. The problem is that as cars get more and more technical and difficult to work on, the dealers get more of a captive market and they have to try less to keep customers satisfied.

The only way to find the source of a rattle is to start removing and maybe even dismantling things. Start with the obvious things like bits of trim that touch each other, rubbish that might have fallen behind the glove box, the air filter, etc. Wiggle them around, tap them, see if you can reproduce the rattle. If not, you'll have to start removing trim panels and digging around. I've had annoying noises from wiring looms rubbing on things - really difficult to find. Best way to find sources of rattles that aren't immediately obvious is to drive around with a passenger who has good hearing to help you locate it. Doing it on your can can take ages and be really frustrating.

·
Registered
Leaf 40 and Zoe ZE50
74 Posts
On the 40Kwh, I had a rattle in area of the air vent, this was only on a reasonable hot day and the air conditioning fully on, all other times, quiet, no noise at all. Really annoying though, I stripped out air vent and put some lub sprays on the shutters thinking that the plastics were contracting and expanded with the severe temperature changes.
I have the exact same rattle on my Leaf 40. It occurs on really warm days and when the a/c heater is on in the winter.

Sometimes it's a clicking noise, other times it's a rattle and also a vibration noise from the vent area.

As with others posting here, if pressure is applied to the dashboard, the noise goes away.

It went into the dealer a few months ago, before lockdown, but they didn't want to go out in the car with me to replicate the noise.... needless to say they couldn't find any noise.

I will be scheduling in another visit once the weather turns colder so that it will be more prominent and regular and insisting on me going out for a test drive with a technician.

What makes it worse is that I have very good hearing so it annoys me more than my wife.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,946 Posts
Surprisingly the Zoe dealer did hear one rattle I complained about and did the boot rattle as well which I hadn't noticed so they're not all Mutton and hopeless!

My Leaf definitely has some kind of 'noise' around the dash/A pillar/triangle window area too. Seems to happen most of the time.

Setting up a phone to video it with the noise clear is one way of settling it. Might need an external mic with some rattles though as I don't think phone mics are always good at picking up subtle noises. Stops them arguing it doesn't exist if it's clear on a video.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the exact same rattle on my Leaf 40. It occurs on really warm days and when the a/c heater is on in the winter.

Sometimes it's a clicking noise, other times it's a rattle and also a vibration noise from the vent area.

As with others posting here, if pressure is applied to the dashboard, the noise goes away.

It went into the dealer a few months ago, before lockdown, but they didn't want to go out in the car with me to replicate the noise.... needless to say they couldn't find any noise.

I will be scheduling in another visit once the weather turns colder so that it will be more prominent and regular and insisting on me going out for a test drive with a technician.

What makes it worse is that I have very good hearing so it annoys me more than my wife.
My rattle was the drivers side, seemed to be when going into a head wind that was warm air, usually when about, 24°c, was coming into the air vent. The air conditioning was set at say 17°c and this would start the rattle from an area behind the air vent, could be where the plastic had contracted, once it started it wouldn't stop, aggravated the rattle when you went over a bump in the road. Tried just having air recirculating in the car and upping the air con temperature , didn't make any difference. All other times there was no rattle, autumn, winter, spring, nothing, quiet, just on these summer days, what I did find was that applying pressure with my fingers at the point where the dash board by the air vent begins and the doors closes, would stop the rattle, so bought a small wooden wedge and shoved it into this spot, stopped the rattle for the journey and removed the wedge at the end of the journey, not ideal but was able to manage things and stop it annoying me.

Apart from that, no other rattles whatso ever, one of the few cars that I have had, where I haven't had to hunt a rattle and wrap foam around things, Ford and Rover being the worst.

Did wonder if the rattle was caused by some king of air lock in the heat pump caused by the hot outside temperature, as it seemed to be coming from that sort of area, but in the end nothing proven..

·
Registered
596 Posts
Surprisingly the Zoe dealer did hear one rattle I complained about and did the boot rattle as well which I hadn't noticed so they're not all Mutton and hopeless!

My Leaf definitely has some kind of 'noise' around the dash/A pillar/triangle window area too. Seems to happen most of the time.

Setting up a phone to video it with the noise clear is one way of settling it. Might need an external mic with some rattles though as I don't think phone mics are always good at picking up subtle noises. Stops them arguing it doesn't exist if it's clear on a video.
Although the LEAF is well bolted together, the hard plastics that NISSAN use especially on the pillars are very cheap and because of this, they don't handle extremes of heat very well and do a lot of expanding and contacting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi there @IRLEV2019. I've had my 62 Leaf for 2 months and although I'm very pleased with it, I've booked it into the dealer this Wednesday for a couple of (hopefully) minor issues. One is a rear seatbelt bleeping issue (continues to bleep for about a minute after a passenger gets out). The other is passenger side dashboard vibration issue...

Mine is more of a vibration than a rattle and is quieter than yours. It mostly occurs at speeds above 40mph too, so I'm worried that the dealer will either not be able to replicate the conditions or fob me off. It is definitely there though, confirmed by my sceptical missus after I emptied the glove box and it was still audible. If the passenger presses quite hard against the padded part of the dash, it seems to stop or mute it.

To continue my story on the subject this week, I took it in to the dealer today. They confirmed that the back seat belt bleep thing is a standard safety feature. They also asked me to book the car back in for two days next week to strip the dash down to find the cause of the vibration.

I thought that was quite decent of them actually as, typically, it hardly made a noise when I drove it in this morning. Mine isn't as loud as some others here are describing. It may still prove to be unfixable but at least they've committed to looking properly. I'll report back in due course...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had an E-Pedal failure today, garage said water probably got into the system a few days ago. Has anyone else had an E-Pedal failure before?

I sent the video to the garage with hopes that one of the guys there will know the sound or something familiar to it. I personally still think its the airbag or something to do with how it is attached to the frame or dash, but Nissan wont accept that as it would mean they pay for a replacement airbag.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,946 Posts
Water shouldn't be getting in anywhere. Wonder if it's a blocked drain under the bonnet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Follow up on this post - the issue has been fixed entirely.

Turns out after many days of investigation by the guys at Nissan that it was to do with how the dashcam was wired in. Halfords had jammed two small blocks into a small gap in the dash which was causing the rattle.

Nissan also rewired the dashcam as they believe how the dashcam was wired in was the cause of the e-pedal failure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts