Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumours are that the budget on the 11th will drop the grant down to £2500 (from £3500).
Not so certain to happen, is a call from the SMMT to drop VAT on electric vehicles...

Just ordered (7th) a new Zoe to lock in the grant but... if they did drop VAT does anyone know what my rights would be in regards to cancelling and re-ordering?
From what I've been able to find is, if dealer is willing, then they would happily sort that, worst case is I lose the deposit?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,232 Posts
From reading somewhere else on the forum, you will get the rate of grant as at the day your dealer claims for it. IE if they claim today you will get the £3500, but this may be conditional that there are funds left from the money allocated to that grant. Some people didn't get the full amount of the last grant, even though it had been claimed before the date, as they had received the car after the change and the money had all been paid out.

It's a good idea to get your dealer to apply asap. I think the application has a 9 month lifespan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They may use the BIK change to justify this but how many people get the option of a company car? I thought they’d been moving away from them for some years as they’re so tax disincentivised. My last two companies don’t offer any company cars so the BIK isn’t something I can leverage and I bet millions are in a similar position

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yup my company refuses to do company cars, too much hassle to run, will probably make some difference in the grand scheme of things but something like dropping VAT would help more people (though always suspicious the car companies would increase price by 10% or so to make a bit more)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yup my company refuses to do company cars, too much hassle to run, will probably make some difference in the grand scheme of things but something like dropping VAT would help more people (though always suspicious the car companies would increase price by 10% or so to make a bit more)
Theres at least 3 companies that run the EV car leasing for your company, so if its ev only that doesn't apply.
Company leases are vat free.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
They may use the BIK change to justify this but how many people get the option of a company car?
My reply was to the 10% comment rebate comment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rumours are that the budget on the 11th will drop the grant down to £2500 (from £3500).
Not so certain to happen, is a call from the SMMT to drop VAT on electric vehicles...

Just ordered (7th) a new Zoe to lock in the grant but... if they did drop VAT does anyone know what my rights would be in regards to cancelling and re-ordering?
From what I've been able to find is, if dealer is willing, then they would happily sort that, worst case is I lose the deposit?
At this stage in a budget many of the rumours are sanctioned leaks to gauge reaction so this could be one of the ideas in the mix (along with many others). Final decisions won't be made till approx 24 hours prior to the speech sadly we won't know till budget day so its all speculation till then :)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
Becuase it rewards the rich.
With the bik changes this would see the road full off model X and mercs

Agreed! It should be flipped around, encourage firms to make lower cost EVs for all, biggest govt contribution to cheapest cars, nothing by the time you get to £40k

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,232 Posts
Agreed! It should be flipped around, encourage firms to make lower cost EVs for all, biggest govt contribution to cheapest cars, nothing by the time you get to £40k
The same should be said for VAT. 0% up to £25k and more the higher it costs. Hopefully this may encourage the cheaper cars that folk have been asking for.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,605 Posts
I don't really like the idea of 0%VAT (realistically speaking that is a pipe dream).

So, just as a mental exercise, I came up with this:
  • 5% for EVs below £20k;
  • 10% for EVs between £20k and £30k;
  • 15% on EVs between £30k and £40k;
  • any EV above £40k will have normal vat of 20%.

Reactions: Petriix and Neilew

·
Registered
246 Posts
Shouldn't subsidise buying cars. Buying cars is bad.
Should tax the nuts off people who buy fossil cars though.
It's a shame our public transport infrastructure is dire and expensive. Driving is almost always cheaper and more convenient so something drastic has to change to change people's habits. Making public transport cheaper and better is more palatable than just taxing cars more and more though.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
841 Posts
I can see them removing incentives from hybrids, and shifting them towards zero emissions vehicles. It would be nice to see a substantial increase in charging infrastructure investment. That will be essential once all the road-warriors get their 0% BIK electric cars.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It's a shame our public transport infrastructure is dire and expensive. Driving is almost always cheaper and more convenient so something drastic has to change to change people's habits. Making public transport cheaper and better is more palatable than just taxing cars more and more though.
Just making public transport cheaper without looking at the service frequency etc. will not encourage rural users to use the bus instead of the car. Where I live there is an hourly bus service (8am-6pm Monday to Saturday) into Shrewsbury which goes past my door, but even though I have a senior citizen's free bus pass, I need a car for evenings and Sundays (plus trips for longer distances) so for a journey into Shrewsbury I would take the car because the convenience of using it outweighs the cost of doing so.

When I lived in London, the reverse applied. The problems of coping with London traffic and finding somewhere to park (this was before the days of Congestion Charging) meant that with a frequent public transport service running from 6am to midnight 7 days a week I found that I could manage without having a car and without having to worry about public transport timetables - I could just turn up at the bus stop or tube station and be reasonably sure of getting a bus or tube train within about 10 minutes.

What is not realised is that users put a value on the extra time that using public transport takes over using the car, and they factor that in when deciding which method of transport to use. For my journey into Shrewsbury, from the time that I decide I wish to go, on average I would have to wait about 30 minutes before the next bus is due, and then when I have finished doing what I needed to do I would have to wait on average a further 30 minutes (possibly in the rain) before the next bus back is due. This means that using the bus would take at least an hour longer than using the car, and that extra time is of more value to me than the extra cost of using the car for the same journey.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree completely, I grew up in London and got extremely used to being able to rely on the public transport system. I had a bus stop 1 minute walk from my house with buses every 12 minutes generally, and I had a train station a 10 minute walk away. I'm now in the south east (or south depending on who you talk to) and even here the public transport links are crap. Trains are slow, rare, and expensive, particularly compared to driving. I gave up on using buses around here ages ago too, sometimes they are once an hour and this is a huge town we're talking about!

The crazy thing is, even though we're in the commuter belt, it's still quicker to drive to London than get the train at all times except rush hour, and who wants to be a sardine on the train at rush hour anyway? I can't imagine how much worse things are for rural areas.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts