Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 500e motor1 article

42 kWh battery
88kW motor
85kW DC CCS charging speed
199 miles WLTP range
First Edition price before incentives €37,900(!)

They’ve gone to the annoyed cat school of design but otherwise looks pretty much the same. Good specs and I’m sure post-launch trims will be cheaper. Decent mini alternative

·
Registered
126 Posts
I look forward to the Abarth version!

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
565 Posts
Seen an article and that first editions will be nearly £30k in the U.K. This is a silly price for what is just a city runabout. Why did they not go for a smaller battery and a more basic trim and get the price below £20k. At this rate EVs will continue to be out of reach for most people on average incomes. I think the Government should limit the grant to cars priced under £20k to encourage manufacturers to build more affordable EVs.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,957 Posts
I think the Government should limit the grant to cars priced under £20k to encourage manufacturers to build more affordable EVs.
If that happened, only VW, Skoda & SEAT would get the grant at all!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why did they not go for a smaller battery and a more basic trim and get the price below £20k.
Fiat have said they wanted to go more upmarket - fair enough - they will definitely provide lower level trims, this is the limited first edition model only? I personally think it's great to have a battery this size in a car in this class (appeals to those of us who want a city run around but not the small battery/range of, for example, the mini and Honda-e), but agree prices still seem too high generally.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Fiat have said they wanted to go more upmarket - fair enough - they will definitely provide lower level trims, this is the limited first edition model only? I personally think it's great to have a battery this size in a car in this class (appeals to those of us who want a city run around but not the small battery/range of, for example, the mini and Honda-e), but agree prices still seem too high generally.
If you use a car just in the City - why the need for a large battery?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Fair point but for the majority used still makes sense to have smaller battery and keep costs down. Otherwise folk will stick to petrol at third if the price.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
This the 500e will be SWMBO'S next car, why? Because it's easy to park, fits the garage,nice to drive, nippy about town? No, because it's cute.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Finally a sort of soft top EV (that isn't a Smart). Had the 500C for a few years and mostly liked it other than the anemic engine and driving position. Could well get this as a second car if they have sorted out the latter.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Finally a sort of soft top EV (that isn't a Smart). Had the 500C for a few years and mostly liked it other than the anemic engine and driving position. Could well get this as a second car if they have sorted out the latter.
Trouble is you have to be very rich to consider this as a second car given its c£30k price. Long gone are the days when Fiat 500s and Minis we’re affordable cars for the masses.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
How dumb can they be..
People are gonna google fiat 500e and find reviews of the crappy old compliance car.
Different cars need different names or people won't know what they're buying!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The interesting thing is that they are only making it as a bev. So there will be different models at different price points for sure. But to start with the launch model will be quite expensive as it seems to be the norm.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Hmmm, let me see: Fiat 500e or Honda e for a bit less dosh? No, it's not the Italian one...
I see the appeal of the Honda outside but not too keen on the 70s light aircraft vibe inside. I really quite fancy a bit of open air EV motoring and largely enjoyed having a 500c for a few years. But as ever different strokes for different folks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts