Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

we have a new leaf coming on a lease deal soon and the plan is to park and charge it in our 2.4m wide single garage. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? In particular I’m interested in how much space there is to get in and out.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,201 Posts
The Leaf is 1800 mm in the body and I think 2030mm over the door mirrors. That garage is probably too small. Getting past the mirrors even when they're folded might be tricky.

Borrow one and park it in there.

You will however remain ever skinny as any weight gain might be a Winnie the Pooh level jammed in issue...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it’s definitely going to be tight!

Will the dealer let me take one for a few hours?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Perhaps you should consider the MG with its huge sunshine roof ? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,201 Posts
There's only the Zoe and probably the citigo variants that are narrower than the leaf.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
You can always open a door on the side of the garage. wide enough so you can open the car's door ;)
Another more geeky way would be to create a ramp with fall to the door, get a winch to pull the car in the garage and when released the car would slide down outside the garage. You will need a pressure switch to cut the power to the winch once it get's close enough to the wall.
Or...
Get a wider garage :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This handy site says I’ll have 30cm each side. I reckon I can get it 20cm over to one side which will give me 50cm on the drivers side.

I’m borrowing one from the dealer tomorrow. Will let you all know

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always park my 2014 LEAF Acenta in my garage (standard 2,4m width) when I'm not using it. I reverse the car in, keeping the LHS as close as possible to the wall. ATM, the car is 150mm from the wall, leaving me 500mm or thereabouts between the driver's door and the RH wall, which is adequate for ingress/egress. Be aware that before retirement I was a LGV mechanic and therefore used to manoeuvring vehicles in confined spaces and in close proximity to walls - it's all done with smoke and mirrors, but mainly the latter! There's a convenient 13A socket outlet at the front of the car to hang my Granny Charger.

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
287 Posts
it’s definitely going to be tight!

Will the dealer let me take one for a few hours?
Isn't test driving a normal procedure in UK? I wouldn't buy a car if I was not allowed to test drive. They always have demo cars, and if it can't be arranged... well, I buy from someone else or another make/model. In fact, the last time I bought a car I could take out their demo car for a weekend to do whatever I wanted with. This was a major selling factor for that car because I wanted to test several things which takes quite some time to test, like fuel consumption for both the electric and the petrol engine, luggage loading in my real life situation, range on fully electric mode to see if I can commute to work, motorway comfort over longer distance and so on. The dealer had absolutely no objection, in fact it was his proposal after all my questions about consumption.

My point is that you should just explain that this is the situation. I think it is a very basic request. Anyway, our Leaf has also forward camera and parking is very easy, so I would think, even if 2.4m is tight, it is not impossible. Of course, all passengers must get out before you enter the garage, and you must fold the mirrors to get more space, but if you are not too large then you should be able to get out of the car. Don't forget to check the length of the garage also.

Edit:
Just for fun, I went out to our carport to check the space. Between the wall and the pillars I have 2.9 meters and the space between the pillars and the car is about 0.3 meter and on the driver side about 0.7 meters between the wall and the car, so I'd be comfortable with 2.4 meters width between walls, but then of course, you have a garage, so what's the garage door opening width?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts