Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia's spec for the UK First Edition includes the heat pump as standard equipment, according to this page (under "Active Safety & Driving Dynamics"). From pictures I've seen of the e-Niro, which presumably has the same layout as the Soul, the heat pump fills the left-hand top corner of the engine bay (discussed on this thread: Heat Pump standard or optional!!):

However, my Soul has a big empty gap there. Other Soul EV owners - is that the correct location for the heat pump on our car, and do you have anything in that space?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
106 Posts
In discussion of the heat pump in the 2018 Soul EV, owners post pictures of the control valves in this space.
In the 2020 Soul EV I certainly have lots of pipes and manifolds in this area, but without a full maintenance manual I wouldn't know exactly what each one does.

P1144270.JPG

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the OP is making the wrong assumptions
That's very possible, which is why I asked whether that was the correct location to look for it. Since the rest of the under-bonnet area is near-identical to the e-Niro, and the cowling in the top left section on that car has been identified as covering the heat pump, it seemed reasonable to expect to see something similar on the Soul.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
So Kia have sold you a Soul, the spec sheet if which states there is a heatpump. I would be inclined to believe their spec, rather an assessment based on a different slightly older model if car. I would not be surprised if Kia had managed to improve the packaging compared to eNero

But speculation aside, have you managed to measure the HV power consumption with the heater on full output. If it's 4 or 5, or even 6 kW, that direct electrical heating. If it tops out at less than 2kW, that would indicate a heatpump

Is there a ODBii monitor that's compatible with the 2020SoulEV

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app for Android and Iphone has dedicated profiles for many EVs, including Kia Soul 2020 64 kWh and Hyundai Kona.
(car profile must be manually selected in settings / connection profile / )
Iphone requires ELM327 BT4.0 dongle, Android works with BT 2.0 or BT 3.0 dongle.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Yes, Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app for Android and Iphone has dedicated profiles for many EVs, including Kia Soul 2020 64 kWh and Hyundai Kona.
(car profile must be manually selected in settings / connection profile / )
Iphone requires ELM327 BT4.0 dongle, Android works with BT 2.0 or BT 3.0 dongle.
OP, here's your answer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So does the new Soul have a heat pump or not? And how much would it impact on range if there or not there?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,718 Posts
....If it's 4 or 5, or even 6 kW, that direct electrical heating..
hmmm .. I'm sure I've seen my Soul pulling 5 kW once.

If you stick it on screen demist and fully powered up (fast, no eco) I think it can deliver that power when it needs it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why don't you ask Kia UK ( first question).

2nd question is irrelevant.
Have asked them directly, and the "Qualified EV tech" has responded to my salesman that "the vehicle will generate hot air as usual" (quote from email response).

Whatever that means.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Slightly off topic but related, the Nissan Leaf with a heat pump still has a 5kW electric heater which it uses to full effect when first turned on. So with the Leaf you cannot tell from the current draw alone whether it has the heat pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts