Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not seen any mention of this anywhere on here, quite possible nobody has bothered to try. We were passing Cornwall Services today and thought I would just try on the off chance if CCS would work. Plugged in at 17% and it charged at 40kw. Stopped at 25% ish as we didnt need to charge. I really didnt expect it to work as it hadnt on our Kona but it appears the update they have recently done on those to make it work is on the Soul too. I dont expect to ever use the Highway but nice to know that if its not blocked, being used, or broken you actually could, all be it at a poor 40kw.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
987 Posts
How long were you plugged in for? The biggest issue I've come across with CCS on Ecotricity chargers is that it likes to stop after 6 minutes, just enough time to walk away from the car thinking it's working fine.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long were you plugged in for? The biggest issue I've come across with CCS on Ecotricity chargers is that it likes to stop after 6 minutes, just enough time to walk away from the car thinking it's working fine.
About 12 minutes charging, I wanted to be sure it wouldnt just fail. In the past always seemed to fail on the Kona either within the first 2 minutes or at around the 5 minute mark.

·
A Member
17 Posts
I've used several Electric Highway 'pumps' on my 2020 Soul EV over the past couple of months, always without issue.

To be honest that surprised me too but I have been unable to use my home charger since March so have had to rely on public charging for top ups. I've never gone below about 45% and never taken it above 84% (often stopping at the 76% throttle). Mostly at Pease Pottage but also Cobham a couple of times, Fleet and Membury. This has ranged from about a five minute top up all the way to the 46 odd minutes they give you before cutting it off. Never an issue, at least so far...

The only problem I've had with EH and the new Soul was when I dropped into Beaconsfield for a top up, knowing there were three chargers there thanks to my CHAdeMO days, only to find that the single charger with CSS was missing the CCS cable entirely! Fortunately I had enough to make it to Cobham.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts