Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Soul looks weird. I can't say I don't like it - I even admired Kia for making the older Souls so different-looking. On the other side, the Niro looks grown up, conventional, practical, a car for every occasion etc. By the time the Kia backlog of orders is cleared, will we think they're boring or not?
With very similar EV components and similar prices, will one depreciate more heavily than the other? If you were a gambler, which EV do you think would hold its value best, Soul or Niro?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Hard to call. When i put in my Soul order the dealer said they had two orders (if memory serves) to about 40 Niro's.
So the large number of Niro's could reduce the price more compared to a "niche" car.
Ultimately given almost identical specs the two of these and the Kona should come out roughly the same is my bet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice to hear your opinion, Joe. I can see what you mean about the Kias. Personally, I feel that the Kona lacks the practicality of the eNiro and the personality of the eSoul. Its smaller interior puts the Hyundai at a disadvantage, unless you're of small stature and don't need to carry adults in the back.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Good point, ive not been in a Kona but had the impression it traded a bigger boot for smaller back seat area and as I will be putting little people in car seats in the back sometimes they can take up a fair bit of room and also need room to get them in/out (what a chuffin nightmare that was in the i3 ! )
Anyway since the previous Soul was the only car Ive ever had that i felt just as happy to get in after 2 years as on day one, it wasn't that hard a decision to make. Maybe in 3 years time it will have depreciated more than a Niro but that would be a fair trade-off to me.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I quite like the quirky look of the Soul but not enough to buy one. I have owned a first edition e-Niro since last September and done about 8,000 miles. I bought it because having researched all the others and driven most, the only other car that both my wife and I liked was the Tesla Model 3 standard range. However, with a grandchild (car seat etc) and an elderly father in law the TM3 was just not practical enough for getting in and out easily etc.
Since September I still see very few e-Niro’s where I live. However, I see loads of TM3s. Down my road there are half a dozen or more TM3s. So I am not sure about depreciation?
The thing is although it is not a pretty car it is so practical and the value for money in EV terms still good. However I have consistently argued that we should expect e-Niro’s to depreciate by about 50% over 3 years. I have always thought people are way to silly to pay above list price for used ones. So my view was to expect about £17k.
Of course other factors, particularly supply (impacted by the virus) cost of production etc may mean the car will be worth more. But that would be a bonus not an expectation.
Just as an aside - my sister calls my car the electric hippo due to its looks. My grandson absolutely loves our car and in particular the bongs (which most seem to get annoyed by) and calls our car the Ninky Nonk after a certain kiddie tv programme.
i would expect the Soul to be worth £3-£5k less than the e-Niro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts