Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Zoe has only done 800 miles but now when charged to 100% it only shows 155 miles. It has been coming down significantly after each charge. The Renault garage said I need to do a "reset" after each charge. When I queried what that was they said read the manual. I see no mention of such thing. My Kia Soul EV doesn't need one.
Is this a fault ? I don't have a lot of confidence in the garage. They told me that use of A/C would not affect range, and it was important to charge it to 100% every time or it would lose range (just the wrong thing to do IMO).

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
What sort of journeys does your Wife do? If it is lots of short runs with the heating and aircon on to demist, or high speed trips on the motorway then that's not unreasonable. If she genuinely does long journeys at a constant 50MPH without any heating then its very poor.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
You need to reset the trip meter to get the default range displayed. Hold down the button while it is displayed on the display. Doing it regularly is pointless though as it won't be a realistic range - especially in cold.

As above, if you are doing multiple short journeys, the efficiency in cold weather is likely to be around 3kWh per mile so 150-160 miles is about right. On a longer journey at 60mph it should be possible to get closer to 4kWh per mile and 200 mile range. If doing a longer journey, preconditioning on a 7kW charging point will significantly improve efficiency as you start with a warm cabin.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,928 Posts
As per above this may be a slightly pessimistic, if realistic view from the GOM.

In summer with gentle driving I could travel 240 miles. Not sure what I get now, because we just do very short journeys now.

·
Registered
735 Posts
As per above this may be a slightly pessimistic, if realistic view from the GOM.

In summer with gentle driving I could travel 240 miles. Not sure what I get now, because we just do very short journeys now.
I find the ZE50 heater absolutely amazing compared to previous models, but the flip side is it’s using electric, today at 1c outside and heating set to a toasty 21c the car was running the heater full tilt over an hour journey, the range was rubbish but I was warm. This is why my gom says 155 after charging earlier

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,928 Posts
Yes, it was behaving a bit oddly earlier, but I was roasting today with an outside temp of 12 degrees. Only set the dial to 19.5 or so.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
434 Posts
You need to reset the trip meter to get the default range displayed. Hold down the button while it is displayed on the display.....
here is the way I decipher "reset the range prediction" - the 2 pedal press (brake pedal and accelerator pedal all the way to the floor) and then reset the trip meter (ZE20, because I haven't got a ZE50) - and thats what you call a real reset. - however there will be those that say you shouldn't do this regularly (every trip???) because the GOM wont be accurate enough to guess your style of driving ... hence the remaining miles on the GOM may be out somewhat

·
Registered
512 Posts
155 miles sounds about right, and considering the GOM estimates that from previous usage (miles/kWh) it’s probably the minimum, and you’ll definitely get more (unless you hammer it of course!). Going on a 90mile drive tomorrow after using it in short runs and the cars currently showing 140 miles at 90%. Will update when I get home after my trip away. Regarding resetting the trip, I very rarely do and the GOM is always usually pretty accurate.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,069 Posts
here is the way I decipher "reset the range prediction" - the 2 pedal press (brake pedal and accelerator pedal all the way to the floor) and then reset the trip meter (ZE20, because I haven't got a ZE50) - and thats what you call a real reset. - however there will be those that say you shouldn't do this regularly (every trip???) because the GOM wont be accurate enough to guess your style of driving ... hence the remaining miles on the GOM may be out somewhat

Its called a trick reset, not a real one, it shows a showroom friendly range. If you like to watch your range plummet as you drive along this is what you should do.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 GT Line 135 CCS
617 Posts
It makes me chuckle at the pointlessness of it all, the reset. It tells you nothing real.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It makes me chuckle at the pointlessness of it all, the reset. It tells you nothing real.
yeah but if some people have been a bit heavy footed and shit at acceleration and anticipation that can make the GOM inaccurate also .. especially if you learn the errors of your ways and started to drive more frugal because it 'learns' the style of driving to give you a guessed mileage range left

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
I don't know. It would be great for resolving the argument between myself and my Wife as to who is the more economical driver. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't know. It would be great for resolving the argument between myself and my Wife as to who is the more economical driver. :rolleyes:
indeed, I think my wife is a bit heavy on the accelerator ... and then if I get in afterwards and drive it, it gives me a shite score and I know its not me lol :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have now found the way to reset the GOM and it is showing 202. Thanks all.
thats good - was it the 2 pedal press plus reset trip meter on your 50 , the same way as on our ZE20 or is it a different way of doing it on the ZE50?

You most probably will find it could still go down quickly from 202 when you first start driving it again as it judges the style of driving and adjusts the range meter and then level off again, thats what mine does

·
Registered
434 Posts
lookat what my ZE20 2013 @91 SOH shows when i do a 2 pedal reset at 100% SOC LOL :D
113.09 miles LOL

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
I drove 180 miles yesterday, topped up 15kwH, and have 20 miles left on the GOM.

3 degrees out, 19 inside, averaging about 60mph.

So I guess without the 15kwH top up, range would have been ... 155 miles! Bang on what you're showing!

Reactions: Dion Rust
1 - 20 of 45 Posts