Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a reservation in place for the Ioniq 5 "45" but if that does not turn out as planned or is delayed indefinitely due to semi-conductor/chip issues than the regular tried and tested Kona may still be a possibility.

Dealership almost got off to a bad start with me as there was no sign of the car as "out on test drive" even though I was there on time. When it did turn up it was last years model! Then they denied having the Ultimate model but after I told him that I was told by THEM that it was the model that I would be testing in the first place, he found a brand new and unregistered Ultimate version "out the back" and I went out in it on an unaccompanied test drive.

Basically, it is almost exactly like the last model but with a smallish sunroof which tilt and slides+heated rear seats. I wanted to see if it was quieter than the last model from road noise. Unfortunately not. Still manages to make a racket on certain types of tarmac but is otherwise quiet. Handles well, fun to drive. No feel via the steering (par for the course nowadays) but direct and quite fast. Still a big shame there is no frunk as there remains a huge amount of space on top of the motor and down the sides, under the bonnet. Blame the underlying ICE architecture I guess.

Lovely seats. Heat pump optional. Rear windows fully open. Rear seat space felt better than before for legs (space under the drivers seats to put your feet). HUD nice and clear. Better than before?
Still not entirely convinced by the squashy feeling chintzy plastic/chrome buttons and general plastics in use but I am sure everything lasts.

Available to order with immediate delivery in certain colours (black, white and red) and other colours in 2-3 weeks. However heat pump models are special order according to dealer, so could be 4-6 month wait for those.

Can pre-heat via the app but car has to be plugged in?! is this true?? My small battery (33kW) i3 can pre-heat without being plugged in, so surprised on a such a bigger battery car, dealer was saying still has to be plugged in.

Overall it is a very good EV and well specified car. Only did 14 miles on test drive but averaged 4.1 mi/kWh which was impressive. Not warm, a bit drizzly and tried Sport Mode. I think charging speed is still the same. Still not convinced it is a £37k+ price car though. Hopefully it is a buyers market now as a much more competitive market. Especially now normal Kona EV 64kWh costs under £35k and can get grant. That means price for this model- for sunroof, rear heated seats, HUD seems over priced.

I still believe the "5/45" makes this model of EV look old/outdated now especially where it counts- charging speed, performance, cabin quality , frunk etc but it is quite a bit more expensive. Keeping my options open.

Still persisting with the annual servicing regime as well.(n) Dealer blurb about including roadside/breakdown cover etc, blah blah , 5 year warranty, blah, blah! Ensures they can pick up on things about to go wrong, early, blah, blah...
But admitted hardly any moving parts on an EV and not much to check on a service..

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts
Still not convinced it is a £37k+ price car though. Hopefully it is a buyers market now as a much more competitive market. Especially now normal Kona EV 64kWh costs under £35k and can get grant. That means price for this model- for sunroof, rear heated seats, HUD seems over priced.

I still believe the "5/45" makes this model of EV look old/outdated now especially where it counts- charging speed, performance, cabin quality , frunk etc but it is quite a bit more expensive. Keeping my options open.
I’d wait, if you are able to.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely planning to wait but just hope it is not 2022 before UK cars show up. Already in mid April 2021. Time is flying!
Warranty on i3 ends, end of June 2021, so hoping the new Ioniq 45 will be here before then.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
93 Posts
Definitely planning to wait but just hope it is not 2022 before UK cars show up. Already in mid April 2021. Time is flying!
Warranty on i3 ends, end of June 2021, so hoping the new Ioniq 45 will be here before then.
I think the Kona can now be considered a really old EV model and I wouldn't buy a new one now. Looking around there are around 50 new EVs coming to market in the next 12 months and I would wait for one of those, have you considered a short-term lease of an EV to bridge your gap, perhaps for a year whilst new models become available?

·
3,104 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looking around there are around 50 new EVs coming to market in the next 12 months and I would wait for one of those
The problem is that this will always be the case - the longer you wait, the more new models are "just a few months away", and always promise more.
I am old enough to remember when computers were always going to be available soon with the new "xyz" processor with twice the speed and half the cost! It never seemed to quite work out like they promised, and always waiting meant that you never got into the market or were left with your old model struggling on.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The problem is that this will always be the case - the longer you wait, the more new models are "just a few months away", and always promise more.
I am old enough to remember when computers were always going to be available soon with the new "xyz" processor with twice the speed and half the cost! It never seemed to quite work out like they promised, and always waiting meant that you never got into the market or were left with your old model struggling on.
I agree. It's the same with any new tech, whether it's an EV, phone, laptop, etc. The moment you get it home, it will be superceded by a newer model. For me, if it does what I want it to do, that'll do for me.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think the Kona can now be considered a really old EV model and I wouldn't buy a new one now. Looking around there are around 50 new EVs coming to market in the next 12 months and I would wait for one of those, have you considered a short-term lease of an EV to bridge your gap, perhaps for a year whilst new models become available?
Still nothing to beat it for range unless you want to pay Tesla prices.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Suggest you get a subscription car via ONTO or Elmo as they are no deposit, monthly only commitment and you can easily delay till the car you really want is available, even if it’s next year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have ordered the new shape premium to replace my premium SE, to be honest I had a Tesla M3 LR and personally prefer the Kona for build quality and warranty. On paper the M3 should have outperformed the Kona but battery drain Sentry/battery pre heating lowered my overall efficiency. The Kona punches well above its weight, price and mileage are key for me. I regularly get 300 miles out of the Kona. As much as I desire a lot of other cars for £32500 nothing can match. I just can’t bring myself to spending 15-20k more for something that does the same or less miles. Time will change all of this but currently the Kona is great for me doing 25,000 miles per year and the comfort of the warranty. I fully understand everyone will have a different take on this and we are the lucky early adopters enjoying the EV world.

·
Registered
593 Posts
On paper the M3 should have outperformed the Kona but battery drain Sentry/battery pre heating lowered my overall efficiency. The Kona punches well above its weight, price and mileage are key for me. I regularly get 300 miles out of the Kona. As much as I desire a lot of other cars for £32500 nothing can match. I just can’t bring myself to spending 15-20k more for something that does the same or less miles.
Completely agree. I nearly signed on the dotterd line for a Model 3, but the Kona just seemed to tick more boxes for me. I was still curious about the Model 3, but Stageshoot's experience of the Model 3 made me realise I'd made the right decision.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 64kW Premium Nav 2019
363 Posts
Ian: what would you buy today?

There have always been new models coming to market.....& thus far, they continue to disappoint!
Our 2018 model has been just astonishing in the 21k+ miles we’ve done.....if they had managed to get the Ioniq 5 out, I could see us moving to that, but otherwise, nothing yet appeals.
Other than waiting forever....keen to hear your thoughts!

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
I think the Kona can now be considered a really old EV model
Apart from the crap super-rapid charging ability (ie 70s for only about half of the typical SOC increase)
what else in your view makes it really old in EV model terms ?

Could be some interesting criteria for those thinking about a move to an EV, and therefore if they test drive a Kona or not.

·
3,104 Posts
If the OP’s choice were between a £37k Kona and other EVs around roughly the same price, then I think I’d be more inclined to buy an ID.3, ID.4, Enyaq or Polestar 2 SR.

OTA updates, better charging, more modern styling and approach generally inside and out, designed as dedicated EVs, quieter, more refined, probably better residuals.

·
Registered
260 Posts
1. It's a compromise platform - it was originally designed to accommodate ICE, PHEV and BEV powertrains so it's compromised. Ioniq 5 is a pure BEV platform.
2. The design of the interior is pretty old-fashioned.
3. The technology doesn't support OTA updates.
4. The technology is pretty old - compare the augmented HUD in the Ioniq 5 with the pop-up glass projection system in the Kona.
5. The driver assist systems look to be more advanced in the Ioniq 5.

I think we have to be realistic about the fact that the Kona was released in 2017 and it's using technology designed before that. And a year in technology terms is like 10 years in mechanical engineering terms.

The lessons learned from the Kona and eNiro have been implemented in the eGMP platform and it's surely not surprising that it's just that bit better.

Bear in mind that the Kona and eNiro (and to a lesser extent the Ioniq) were a generation ahead of almost everything else (bar Tesla) when it went on sale in 2017. So far ahead they're still competitive and still leading in terms of range for the battery capacity and efficiency. Four years later it's hardly surprising that others have caught up a bit (although not entirely) and that Hyundai/Kia need to release their next generation to stomp the competition again.

While the Kona and eNiro are still competitive, the next generation eGMP cars are a proper step on and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one when my current lease finishes. That doesn't mean that I'm unhappy with my Kona, quite the opposite, but I'm not blind to the fact that the new cars are that bit better again.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
was just going to add the fully charged one, see someone has so I'll add the what car one of the exact same vehicle (ie reg number)

It's probably a piece point higher than the Kona, I think a larger segment ?
But, it's now overtaken the Enyaq80 as my most likely Kona replacement in 3years time.

Reactions: Gadget Geek
1 - 20 of 21 Posts