Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had 2 or 3 occasions when the HVAC blows only cold air, including a very chilly 2 hour drive on Christmas day. I contacted the SC to let them know about this and they were able to read the error logs from my car which was kinda spooky. It's booked into the SC to let them have a look at it but it appears to be quite a widespread problem Tesla owners of brand-new Model 3 and Y cars plagued with heating issues in dead of winter - Electrek - apparently it's a high pressure sensor issue with the heat pump.

Anyone else here with a 2021 M3 had this?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Anyone else here with a 2021 M3 had this?
Lots of reports of this on the Tesla groups on Facebook. It does seem only to affect heatpump vehicles.

Tesla's ability to read the car's diagnostics remotely is a wonderful feature, when you consider that other marques will charge £85-£125 simply to hook a car up to have the diagnostics read. Tesla also have the ability to do some things remotely - I had a faulty TPMS sensor, and they were able to reset the tpms system remotely (something that I had already done and didn't fix the problem - but they could clearly see the problem and even which sensor was faulty remotely, so there was no issue at the service centre. They immediately changed the sensor rather than wasting workshop time on diagnostics).

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
18 Posts
Hello Folks,

I've now encountered this problem 3 days after collecting my new Model 3. Service say they cant fit me in until the 9th which I find ridiculous.

With wintery weather due next week the car is going to become undriveable or dangerous to drive, so I'm calling tomorrow telling them I need a replacement vehicle now. Otherwise I'm just going to call roadside emergency when the temperature drops and windows steam up.

Not a great start...

Dean

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Folks,

I've now encountered this problem 3 days after collecting my new Model 3. Service say they cant fit me in until the 9th which I find ridiculous.

With wintery weather due next week the car is going to become undriveable or dangerous to drive, so I'm calling tomorrow telling them I need a replacement vehicle now. Otherwise I'm just going to call roadside emergency when the temperature drops and windows steam up.

Not a great start...

Dean
I have the car set at 20 degrees and only had the car a few days. It was 10 degrees when I got in tonight and the vents were on quite low but cold air was coming out. I increased the temperature and it got a tad warmer. Is this what you are getting? Did they remote into your computer yet or do you have to wait until the appointment?

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
18 Posts
I have the car set at 20 degrees and only had the car a few days. It was 10 degrees when I got in tonight and the vents were on quite low but cold air was coming out. I increased the temperature and it got a tad warmer. Is this what you are getting? Did they remote into your computer yet or do you have to wait until the appointment?
Hi there.

I didn't really get any temperature increase at all, just outside air blowing through. I'd maybe suggest to try setting max and min temperature, because that should then blow significantly warmer or colder air, if it doesn't, there could be a problem. Also try and turn on the heating from the app. When I tried to turn on from the app it looked like it is working initially but then turned itself off after about a minute. When then trying to turn it back on with the app, it then tells me there is a fault.

Would be interested to hear how you get on?!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the same problem - 2021 MIC LR with heat pump. Sometimes the heating works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works for the first 5-10 minutes then I notice it is getting chilly. If I turn the heating up, sometimes it comes back on, sometimes not. But next time it is too hot.
As I have only done a dozen trips in the first month, I hought I was imagining it until I read this thread.
Very interested to hear from anyone who has had it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem - 2021 MIC LR with heat pump. Sometimes the heating works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works for the first 5-10 minutes then I notice it is getting chilly. If I turn the heating up, sometimes it comes back on, sometimes not. But next time it is too hot.
As I have only done a dozen trips in the first month, I hought I was imagining it until I read this thread.
Very interested to hear from anyone who has had it fixed.
Yes, I had a similar problem in January with my 2021 M3 (heat pump but MIA not MIC). I phoned the service centre and they diagnosed the problem remotely and replaced a sensor a week or two later. It has been fine since then.

·
Registered
289 Posts
For those of you with heat pump models - does the car vibrate every 30 seconds or so when you’re sitting in park? You can hear and feel it.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
18 Posts
Currently in the process of having it fixed. Update is waiting parts, it was due in for 9th but I asked for a loaner sooner with the cold weather due next week - I'd read of people having to pull over in cold weather with steamed windows in cold/rain/snow so wanted to make sure I'm mobile next week.

I'm not sure if they are now putting in improved sensors, I'll try and find out when i pick the car back up and let you all know.

Dean

Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
536 Posts
For those of you with heat pump models - does the car vibrate every 30 seconds or so when you’re sitting in park? You can hear and feel it.
Yes my 2021 LR has done the same on a few occasions. Not noticed any other side effects to this but so far only 300 miles in to ownership. Let us know if anything develops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts