Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Charging my M3 today, i noticed when i got to 290ish miles, the battery metre icon looked to be around 90% full. May be an obvious answer, but if the listed WLTP range is 360 with EPA being around 320, i would have assumed the charge metre would go up to 360 miles? On the app the maximum range at 100% is 324 miles. Am I being dim expecting to see a range of 360 miles on ther gauge?

I've only had the car 2 weeks, so not sure if the read out will increase as the battery is conditioned.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
Hi All

Charging my M3 today, i noticed when i got to 290ish miles, the battery metre icon looked to be around 90% full. May be an obvious answer, but if the listed WLTP range is 360 with EPA being around 320, i would have assumed the charge metre would go up to 360 miles? On the app the maximum range at 100% is 324 miles. Am I being dim expecting to see a range of 360 miles on ther gauge?

I've only had the car 2 weeks, so not sure if the read out will increase as the battery is conditioned.

View attachment 142635
My wife has had hers for 10 days, and it says the same. 324 miles is the EPA range I believe.

As ever, it’s just an estimate, driving carefully you’ll be able to exceed that number, just as if you don’t you won’t get anywhere near 324 either.

It’s a fixed guessometer if you like, and the range number that’s visible above the battery on the App is a straight sum of the state of charge % of that 324 mile EPA range.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
It is part of the rite of passage in a ev, obsessing over the indicated range vs the expectation, your usage, right foot, terrain and weather will be able to deliver or scupper the indicated range.

Enjoy it and be safe in the knowledge you have a mile munching ev, I managed 28k in a pre-apocalypse year in a Model S 85D which has an effective range of about 2/3 of yours.

If you really want to see the best range, despite it being meaningless and pointless go into settings and change the display from Typical where it is now, ie normal usage to Rated the number will go up significantly.

Now I say meaningless, however if you are driving it in the Netherlands, like a nun at no more than 55mph on a hot sunny day with a tailwind you might see it, if not....

PS: Change you max charge to 80-90% unless you are needing all that range, general consensus is charging to 100% and leaving it there is not good housekeeping for Tesla batteries.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Agreed - after owning a 24kwh Nissan Leaf for a couple of years I was obsessed with remaining range, state of charge, efficiency etc etc. After 2 days and 200 + miles in the M3 LR I've very quickly just become accustomed to not worrying about it. I know there will be an adjustment to my habits and I'll fall into a charging routine. It's very comforting to be back in an EV and not being bothered about the range. So far I've had a 2 hour charge from one of the 16a ( 3phase so effectively 11kw) commando points at the depot I was at yesterday and it's now showing 149 miles of range after my commute this morning. Despite a couple of joyrides with the kids I'm hovering at 227 wh per mile. So efficiency is where I expected it to be given my normal driving style and subsequently so is range. If you try and max out the range, you'll just get stressed running around at low state of charge - top it up whenever you can and enjoy the drive ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts