Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just collected a new Soul EV first edition today. Dealer tells me that the new purple software is not available yet, but reports elsewhere indicate that it has been released for the Soul. Does anyone know if it is available?

I know that some people prefer the older version and they may be right. However, I do not want to learn the existing interface, only to have to get accustomed to a new one in a few weeks time.

Thanks

My referral code is 85753403545 for any new purchaser wanting the amazon goodies

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
107 Posts
We picked up our new Kia Soul First Edition with the latest update (purple screen) in mid April from Kia Ferndown and the salesman Ed, ensured it had the latest updates, so not sure why yours doesn’t come with the latest update.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
800 Posts
Just collected a new Soul EV first edition today. Dealer tells me that the new purple software is not available yet, but reports elsewhere indicate that it has been released for the Soul. Does anyone know if it is available?

I know that some people prefer the older version and they may be right. However, I do not want to learn the existing interface, only to have to get accustomed to a new one in a few weeks time.

Thanks

My referral code is 85753403545 for any new purchaser wanting the amazon goodies
It really is incredible how uninformed some dealers are about the products they sell. I honestly don't know how they get away with such poor customer service. The purple upgrade has only been readily available since september last year and there has since been another upgrade to that, in March of this year.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,866 Posts
I will have a poke around the screens and see if I can find a reference. I believe it is the one before it went purple 2020?
Wow, that should have been updated during PDI. Talk to your dealer. There are at least 2 purple versions, with another (third one, I think) just surfacing recently.

If you are brave enough you can update it with the source files available around here, but if it is a brand new car get the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
So what's the benefit / downside of this? My brothers Ioniq got updated (I know its Hyundai but theresa lot of similarity) and the screen went from the option of 3 areas on view to two. (and is this release available on the 2020 model Soul or is it only newer cars?
And lastly, i had a service a few weeks ago an AFAIK didnt get any new software. "should" i have? Or shoudl i leave well alone as it all seems to work?
TIA

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what's the benefit / downside of this? My brothers Ioniq got updated (I know its Hyundai but theresa lot of similarity) and the screen went from the option of 3 areas on view to two. (and is this release available on the 2020 model Soul or is it only newer cars?
And lastly, i had a service a few weeks ago an AFAIK didnt get any new software. "should" i have? Or shoudl i leave well alone as it all seems to work?
TIA
Just had the car updated today with latest maps and firmware/software. Was told it should have been done by Kia before it was delivered to the dealer. Not had time to check it yet, and had not used the previous version much in the few days I have owned the car, so not the best person to judge. Seen some youtube videos and it appears that there are pluses and minuses for anyone used to the previous version.

My concern was that I did not want to become familiar with one interface, only to have it change at the next service and have to find everything again. Having the most recent map is always preferable as well.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
800 Posts
TIA
As Soula says, positives and negatives.

You lose the option of the 3 way split screen because in their wisdom, they have taken it out. I quite liked it, and there are some users on here who flatly refuse to have the upgrade because of this. But you gain the ability to set up user profiles, which can be handy if two of you drive the car.

The cour scheme goes a bit purple, instead of being very black and white. Again, personal choice. I quite like it, others not so much.

If you put on the most recent update from March (I haven't yet), then it adds the ability to turn on split screen when you are on Car Play or Android Auto (useful particularly for AA as they have not fixed the display yet so it renders full screen - that is the one update I would like to see).

And I think the database of chargers is much improved in the latest version, but only based on what others have said, because I haven't applied it yet, I am still on purple v1 from September last year.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
As Soula says, positives and negatives.

You lose the option of the 3 way split screen because in their wisdom, they have taken it out. I quite liked it, and there are some users on here who flatly refuse to have the upgrade because of this. But you gain the ability to set up user profiles, which can be handy if two of you drive the car.

The cour scheme goes a bit purple, instead of being very black and white. Again, personal choice. I quite like it, others not so much.

If you put on the most recent update from March (I haven't yet), then it adds the ability to turn on split screen when you are on Car Play or Android Auto (useful particularly for AA as they have not fixed the display yet so it renders full screen - that is the one update I would like to see).

And I think the database of chargers is much improved in the latest version, but only based on what others have said, because I haven't applied it yet, I am still on purple v1 from September last year.
Thanks. Doesn't sound as if its worth a trip to the dealers then.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
350 Posts
I know it's been a while but as an ex-tecchie it was always thought that trailing edge is often the best place to be with new tech - let the others have the grief, then take it on later when it's stable 😁👍

1 - 12 of 12 Posts