Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm probably doing something wrong but I'm struggling to get the pre-heat cabin to work. I am setting a "Next Departure Time " to 08:20 using the UVO app with a target temperature of 22 degs but the car is not warming up.

I am using an off peek tariff so I have set the charging schedule to charge between 00:30 - 04:30 with "Off Peak Time Only" option selected.

Does the car need to be plugged in and able to charge at the time prior to departure?

My previous car (BMWi3) would charge without being plugged in so assumed it would be the same?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Martin

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
My previous car (BMWi3) would charge without being plugged in so assumed it would be the same?
Ooo, great one please share your secret! 馃檹

Sorry, could not resist.

Anyway, what Soul do you have? Year?

Registered
To use the "Scheduled departure time" the car must be plugged in.

To pre-heat, you can just use the UVO as I do 5 min before departure - this makes the car nice, but won't improve your range of course, because you are using battery to do it....

Ideally, leave the car plugged in, and time your charge to finish at around the time your rate goes back up to the higher tariff.

Then keep the schedule stop charging time after you want to depart.

I can't therefore use scheduled departure temps at home as I don't have a charger, but can use on demand with UVO

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To use the "Scheduled departure time" the car must be plugged in.

To pre-heat, you can just use the UVO as I do 5 min before departure - this makes the car nice, but won't improve your range of course, because you are using battery to do it....

Ideally, leave the car plugged in, and time your charge to finish at around the time your rate goes back up to the higher tariff.

Then keep the schedule stop charging time after you want to depart.

I can't therefore use scheduled departure temps at home as I don't have a charger, but can use on demand with UVO
Thanks SoulGW. So I need to set the charge end time after my depart time? My current cheap tariff end at 04:30 but my depart time is usually 08:30. So if the charge is low it will continue charging for potentially up to 4 hours on my high tariff rate? To be honest I'm only interested in warming the car on cold mornings and not really looking to improve range, so doing it manually is an option, it just seems a step backwards from the i3. Do you know what the "Off Peak Rate Prio" does? I currently have the Off-peak time only option selected. Cheers.

Registered
Not really. So if you set the car to charge to say 80% or 90% and time that so it will do it within that window, then it will stop charging at 4 or 4:30 anyhow. If you are only at say 50% by that point then yes it will keep charging.

What鈥檚 your daily average use?

Registered
Thanks SoulGW. So I need to set the charge end time after my depart time? My current cheap tariff end at 04:30 but my depart time is usually 08:30. So if the charge is low it will continue charging for potentially up to 4 hours on my high tariff rate? To be honest I'm only interested in warming the car on cold mornings and not really looking to improve range, so doing it manually is an option, it just seems a step backwards from the i3. Do you know what the "Off Peak Rate Prio" does? I currently have the Off-peak time only option selected. Cheers.
So off peak only, will stop charging once it hits full even if it鈥檚 not full. Scheduled charging will do it when you say, and off peak priority will aim to use the cheapest time for the fastest part of the charge 20-80%.

If you set off peak only, then keep it plugged in, it should do the scheduled pre-heat unless you have the charger set to turn off in peak times?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really. So if you set the car to charge to say 80% or 90% and time that so it will do it within that window, then it will stop charging at 4 or 4:30 anyhow. If you are only at say 50% by that point then yes it will keep charging.

What鈥檚 your daily average use?
My daily use can vary significantly. Most days my wife takes it on the short commute to work (around 10 miles total) so it would only need a brief charge. Other days I take it and may do around 200 miles, so it would require nearly a full charge, although I would prefer to only add 4 hours worth while on cheap rate if I'm not using it the next day. Last night I set the scheduled charge to be between 00:30 and 07:30 and set departure for 07:10 (22 degs), but it failed to charge or heat? Anyway, I have spoken to Kia customer Care who said they would get back to me with the answer. Thanks for taking the time to help me, it's much appreciated.

Registered
Hmm I don't know then - mine's always worked fine - Have you got the settings "location based" or across the board?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts