Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Acenta is not due to be delivered until end of January so I guess it will be non app connectable, is there any after market way of adding this or is it not really that essential?

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
My Acenta is not due to be delivered until end of January so I guess it will be non app connectable, is there any after market way of adding this or is it not really that essential?
EV Apps are never the most reliable things in the world anyways. But it can be handy if you want to set a climate or charge timer without going out to the car, check your charge level or give the heater a quick blast.

There wouldn’t be any easy way of adding this functionality back in I don’t think unfortunately.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've not had any app reliability problems in my year with a 24 or my 4 months with a 40.
The app is a deal breaker for me, not interested in the car without it, I'd simply buy one that did have an app.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,458 Posts
There wouldn’t be any easy way of adding this functionality back in I don’t think unfortunately.
There is OVMS which some people have used successfully, but it isn't just "plug and play".

·
Registered
45 Posts
I rather rashly placed an order for a new acenta at the weekend. I'd naively assumed that the spec of a new car would be the same as my current 16 plate one. No remote preheat or heat pump is a big deal for us.
Is there any practical data out there showing the impact of the heat pump? I guess it must be fairly significant, espically without preheating.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,363 Posts
I am given to understand that a PTC heater uses 3Kwh's in energy where has a Heat Pump is more efficient and uses 1Kwh of energy to delivery the same level of heating.

This is very important in colder temperatures when the vehicle has a smaller battery capacity and can be the difference in making it home or having to stop and charge. Vehicles with a larger battery capacity can absorb the lack of a heat pump easier as it is not as "Range Critical".

I personally wouldn't buy a 40Kwh (37.5Kwh available) without a heat pump, especially when a bit of battery degradation will creep in after 2 to 3 years of ownership and winter range becomes even more critical.

I remember that NISSAN discontinued to "VISIA" model because it was very basic spec with no heat pump being the main issue to not buy it. Very surprised that NISSAN are penny pinching again with the ACENTA. the heat pump is absolutely essential kit in my opinion.

Entertaining but not scientific video from over the pond!

Nissan Leaf Heat Pump 1st Impressions

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,637 Posts
In my experience, the PTC is needed to preheat the car and used up to 6kWh as shown on the energy display.
Once up to temperature the heat pump can maintain the temp at minimal consumption.
However on a few very cold early morning journeys the heat pump couldn't maintain the temp so the PTC switched on every so often.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,637 Posts
I rather rashly placed an order for a new acenta at the weekend. I'd naively assumed that the spec of a new car would be the same as my current 16 plate one. No remote preheat or heat pump is a big deal for us.
Is there any practical data out there showing the impact of the heat pump? I guess it must be fairly significant, espically without preheating.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Cancel or change the order.

You need the heat pump unless your journeys are well within the winter range with the heating on.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,458 Posts
I am given to understand that a PTC heater uses 3Kwh's in energy where has a Heat Pump is more efficient and uses 1Kwh of energy to delivery the same level of heating.

This is very important in colder temperatures when the vehicle has a smaller battery capacity and can be the difference in making it home or having to stop and charge. Vehicles with a larger battery capacity can absorb the lack of a heat pump easier as it is not as "Range Critical".
There is no data as it all depends on so many factors, @GOSPORT DAVE has given you a COP value but the amount used depends on how much heat you use for how long. What you can guarantee is that if you are close to being range critical in colder weather it will reduce your safety margin if not use it up altogether. But if you can live with the range of a 30kWh in winter then it'll be fine and it will give you hugely more in the summer. It is only in the last 12 months that Tesla have introduced heat pumps and there was little concern about their range before - probably because they had a huge battery. Hyundai/KIA have the heat pump as an option on the Ioniq5 and EV6 and those are £40k cars that are demonstrators for their latest tech, but again with relatively large batteries.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Range wise, it’s a second car and I think even with a resistive heater will still be better that a 6 year old 24Kwh (probably nearer 18 usable now), but as said above it’s still penny pinching. The pre heat may be the deal breaker, the better half loves it and I find it handy to double check to see if it’s actually charging at a public point. Decisions decisions…

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,637 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Range wise, it’s a second car and I think even with a resistive heater will still be better that a 6 year old 24Kwh (probably nearer 18 usable now), but as said above it’s still penny pinching. The pre heat may be the deal breaker, the better half loves it and I find it handy to double check to see if it’s actually charging at a public point. Decisions decisions…
I must admit that the app was useful for preheating my Leaf E+ but I never needed to check if it was charging because it simply always was once I set it going.

Leafs are reliable - the tech works, it's not a Korean, Chinese nor German EV! Ditto the charging timer.

Shame Nissan have pennypinched though.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,458 Posts
it’s still penny pinching
Which they pass on to you. Where do you think the cost difference comes from? Problem is, how much of the differential will you lose when you sell it? The professionals think quite a lot, it's often more expensive monthly than the next model up
The pre heat may be the deal breaker, the better half loves it
Is that the convenience for ad-hoc use or could a timer resolve it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Both fair points.

I thought the gfv of the nconnecta would be more, so the monthly difference would be minimal, in fact its £70 a month more, so over the 4 year pcp it's 3360 more for a car with a 2k greater list price. I guess it all comes down to incentives.

The heat pump I can see as a cost saving, but I remain unconvinced that the connectivity costs much to add (although I guess its 1 less chip to try and source).

We used the connectivity quite a bit. Pre heat is nice, but for me it's more about checking if the work podpoint is actually charging - the one I use has 15mins free, so can look OK when you walk away, but 8 hours later it's only added 800 Watts!

In nissan's defence I understand why they've done it. The error was mine in not checking the spec fully, but in my defence they don't highlight the change. In fact the range still shows as the same on the acceta as the rest of the line up!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I’d guess we’re going to get more of this as EVs move from being premium to mainstream - need to get costs, and thus prices, down.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,458 Posts
I thought the gfv of the nconnecta would be more, so the monthly difference would be minimal, in fact its £70 a month more, so over the 4 year pcp it's 3360 more for a car with a 2k greater list price. I guess it all comes down to incentives.
The prices change daily. Today on a three year 1+35 10k miles/year basis the Tekna is £339.12 and the n-Connect £343.56 which makes little sense.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The prices change daily. Today on a three year 1+35 10k miles/year basis the Tekna is £339.12 and the n-Connect £343.56 which makes little sense.
Pushing the Tekna because N-connecta is the sweet spot and everyone is going for that?
I'm not a lot less than this per month for my Acenta TBH, but I have the app and heat pump on mine.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,637 Posts
Pushing the Tekna because N-connecta is the sweet spot and everyone is going for that?
I'm not a lot less than this per month for my Acenta TBH, but I have the app and heat pump on mine.
Yes, I expect they vary prices to keep sales matching stocks. Must have excess Teknas this week!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts