Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If the government do this they will have to sort out msa, along with Germany and other countries, what will the car market include? Clearly Tesla and Polestar for business, will we get more Citroen Ami, how will the Toyota Aygo market end look? What will replace the enduring Ford Fiesta?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I wonder in manufacturers would cope with the huge rise in fossil fuelled car sales in the months running up to it that will be on the roads for another 15 years after or so after.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The key issue will be whether the ban includes annual targets for EV sales which forces manufacturers to act in 2020, 21, 22 because without something to force action in the short-term there's no reason to believe it will trigger big investment or a green recovery in the next few years, manufacturers will continue their existing programmes and focus on hitting the deadline in 2030.

Manufacturers are already developing EVs to hit the fleet carbon emission targets they are subject to, these will continue post-Brexit because they are copied across from current EU regulations.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I wonder in manufacturers would cope with the huge rise in fossil fuelled car sales in the months running up to it that will be on the roads for another 15 years after or so after.
If there is a surge it surely would be for used cars not new cars. Wouldn't new petrol cars depreciated far quicker than used? I can imagine people rushing to buy used cars in the expectation that depending on how old the car is that in to 10 years or so they'll have no choice but to effectively scrap their cars and so the price of used cars might go up in the short term but I can't imagine people rushing to buy a brand new one knowing that in 10 years there'd be no resale market for them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
10 years, 10 years, 10 years :)
I just don't think it'll be up to the job given the current offering and the progress we've made in the last 8 years or so, but I'm happy to be proved wrong!

·
Registered
224 Posts
All for it but they'll need to sort something out for the millions of people who have to park on the street like 60% of the houses down our road

·
Registered
352 Posts
The problem is that this government is incapable of joined up thinking, strategic planning or anything that doesn't pander to their mates in big business. To take a small example, there are plenty of new house building sites near me. No sign of any solar panels, and I'm prepared to bet that there is no pre-installed wiring for electric vehicle charge points, let alone any actual points.

As I type I can hear the disc cutters and digger at work constructing my new hard standing for a new electric car, but my terrace house is 1950s. Updating building standards and doing these things at time of original build is a simpler and cheaper matter compared to retrospective installations and we should already be changing to cope.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think necessity is a great driver.

We only have about 300K EVs and plug in hybrids on the road in the UK according to nextgreencar.com. That number must ramp up considerably the closer we get to that deadline and there have been a few dates mentioned; 2035, 2032 and now 2030. I expect the infrastructure will increase in line with EV sales as it's already been doing.
I leased a Mercedes plug in hybrid just to see what it might be like to drive an EV and at that time 4 years ago there were only a few free slow chargers around. Now I've bought a Niro EV because so much progress has been made in those 4 years with rapid chargers in many places, that I'm comfortable that I won't get caught short on my travels. I'm confident the next 4 to 8 years will see an even bigger increase in the charging infrastructure and more importantly their reliability and ease of use.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The problem is that this government is incapable of joined up thinking, strategic planning or anything that doesn't pander to their mates in big business. To take a small example, there are plenty of new house building sites near me. No sign of any solar panels, and I'm prepared to bet that there is no pre-installed wiring for electric vehicle charge points, let alone any actual points.

As I type I can hear the disc cutters and digger at work constructing my new hard standing for a new electric car, but my terrace house is 1950s. Updating building standards and doing these things at time of original build is a simpler and cheaper matter compared to retrospective installations and we should already be changing to cope.
Join the dots .....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Its a great way of virtual signalling to potential ICE car buyers switching to electric vehicles now rather than later. As more people buy EV's their will be more infrastructure investement which will alleviate the charging requirements for 30% of the nation who don't have off street parking. Maybe the Government should bring into law that anyone who requires a public charging point should be provided for as long as it is 5 min walk from their house as per the Netherlands who provide free public charging points for anyone who requests it.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
728 Posts
This is great although until is actually announced by the gov I wont get too excited

Reactions: ohit1

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
All for it but they'll need to sort something out for the millions of people who have to park on the street like 60% of the houses down our road
What kind of age are those cars today? Let's say 5-20 years old. So they will be looking for new vehicles between 2035 and 2050, and for ones built somewhere between 2030 and 2045. They will have large batteries and rapid charging. They'll fill up once a week at the supermarket, either while shopping or ten minutes at the filling station afterward. It'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
An official one for that - Electric car chargepoints to be installed in all future homes in world first - but I can't find any evidence that the new law is on the statute books.
When I spoke to a couple of builders last year they said that this had been abandoned and they were not fitting chargers. Some of the ones that did have chargers were useless because they had no driveway and you can't run the cable over the pavement.

This may be gearing up for a bribe for Nissan. The Sunderland plant has become a symbol of brexit and if it closes (as Nissan have hinted it will if there is no deal) it would be a disaster for the Tories. This way they have an excuse for giving money to the plant and 2030 is far enough away that they can just change the date later.

·
Registered
351 Posts
[QUOTE
.. but I can't find any evidence that the new law is on the statute books.
[/QUOTE]
Consultation should have ended last year. I guess a couple of things got in the way.
Hoping the building industry didn't put up major obstacles

·
Registered
351 Posts
It could be that it's offered as an option at the moment.
I've seen many new builds in Warwickshire where the odd new house has a charging point during construction and before Covid I was looking at a new build myself and asked whether a charging point could be installed. They said no but they were prepared to do "something" with the wiring to make it easy at no extra charge but I don't know what it was they would have done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It could be that it's offered as an option at the moment.
I've seen many new builds in Warwickshire where the odd new house has a charging point during construction and before Covid I was looking at a new build myself and asked whether a charging point could be installed. They said no but they were prepared to do "something" with the wiring to make it easy at no extra charge but I don't know what it was they would have done.
There's a massive house building programme going on near me at the moment. Been round the entire estate. Not one charger in evidence on the houses without garages. Not seen inside the garages of the others but I doubt there'll be any there either. Also, as mentioned before, no solar panels at all. Seems a completely lost opportunity.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts