Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I can see the wiring is good and of the right gauge, does anyone think there is a problem (or even a regulation?!) running 20A continuous charge rate through a B16 RCBO?

The standard calls for a B16 to run without tripping at 20A, so any reason why not?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
A type B RCBO to EN61009-1 will not trip on thermal overload to 10,000 sec at 20 Amps. However the temperature rise may cause overheating of the attached wiring ( depending on insulation type, overall heat dissipation) and of the enclosure Not really a good approach.

·
29,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so it works by thermal effect, and that would cause the temperature to rise above its rated value? OK, I get that.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Also note that circuit design current must be less than rated circuit breaker current which must be less than cable rating ( at appropriate thermal conditions). PVC at temperatures greater than 90 C has a much reduced life.

·
29,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a B20 to the garage from the house consumer board, and then this is divided into a B4 and B16 at a further consumer box in the garage.

The B4 is just for the lights, that is all. All 5W of it.

Is putting a B4 + B20 at the end of a B20 spur OK in the regs? Electrically I think it is completely fine, but in regs terms, pffftt ... does that follow logic?

It looks like 4mm2 to the garage, and is not too long, so could probably support 32A, even. But, hey ....

·
29,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which reminds me .... 32A (7kW) installations are usually fitted with B30s, right? I believe mine was .... by Polar ... so it is not 'unknown' to run the current slightly higher than the rating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts