Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for some advice. Looking to get another car is the next few months as my Golf GTI is killing me!

I've got around 20k to play around with pick up a new car, I was interested in the Golf GTE. But from speaking and reading different forums maybe a BEV would be a better long term solution?

I need a car with the very least 130 range from an 80% charge. A car with good specs and Android Auto compatibility. I'm not looking for a new car a few years old would be just fine.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Thanks in advance

SC

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,627 Posts
The 130 miles from 80% charge for 20k is going to be tough. Although maybe a battery owned Zoe 40 or you could get close perhaps with an ioniq 28.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
100 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for some advice. Looking to get another car is the next few months as my Golf GTI is killing me!

I've got around 20k to play around with pick up a new car, I was interested in the Golf GTE. But from speaking and reading different forums maybe a BEV would be a better long term solution?

I need a car with the very least 130 range from an 80% charge. A car with good specs and Android Auto compatibility. I'm not looking for a new car a few years old would be just fine.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Thanks in advance

SC
How about Renault Zoe 40kw, Nissan Leaf 40 (Accenta spec) or for about £22k a new MG ZS EV ?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
A used Renault ZE40 with the battery owned will be under your £20k budget, has AA and decent specs, but 130miles at 80% charge will be only achievable during the warmer months.

If you could go up a few £k more to around £23-25k you could get a new ZE50 Zoe. Check out CarWow for decent cash prices. Probably worth going for an Iconic or GT Trim with the Rapid CCS charger option.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,891 Posts
Leaf 40 won't get 130 miles from 80% charge. In this weather you'll be getting about 110-120 on a full charge and a squeaky bum.

Zoe 40 is cheapest EV that will go the furthest. You'd probably get 130 miles out of the zoe on a full charge all year round unless it's monsoon or -10.

Hyundai Kona and Kira Niro will do those ranges but they're not £20k to buy outright. They're not very available either so you're back to the Zoe or the Leaf.

Leaf 60 would do those mileages but they are well over the budget. Leasing an EV that does do the mileage might be one option if you're spending a lot on fuel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a quick thing to consider - where will you be charging. If it’s at home then a Z40 Zoe should do 130 miles most of the year round but that will be from 100% charged in the winter which you can charge overnight

·
Super Moderator
11,686 Posts
You can get a 94Ah i3 with range extender for 20k. It can manage 130 miles from 80percent if you use the Rex.

The i3 has battery cooling. It doesn't slow down on a rapid like LEAF. You could charge to 85 or 90 to reduce the Rex miles.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
What about this for a couple of years ? Prices include everything with only a monthly commitment. Then bag a bargain in a couple of years.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
How about Renault Zoe 40kw, Nissan Leaf 40 (Accenta spec) or for about £22k a new MG ZS EV ?
@SC20
The ZS EV will not provide 140 miles of range at 80% SOC - Sorry.
Great sized car for a family thought !.
We are back to the Zoe or the Leaf then.
The fuel savings on a EV over your present GTI will go a long way in paying for the EV of your choice.
My guess is your getting about 30 - 35 MPG if your lucky in the winter ?.
So, to cover 180 miles in fossil fuel you need about 5.5 - 6 gallons of juice.
What's that ?.
I have lost touch with fuel prices now.
Call it £6 to be very generous, about £34 or something ????.
So, charging at home on a 10p / Kw rate you looking at less than a £6 for the same amount of mileage.
My man maths are a extremely rough estimate, but I think you are getting the picture here.
Figure the savings over a couple of years and the savings are feeding your payments instead of the fuel tank !.
The more miles you cover, the greater the savings.
Remember, using some charging posts are more expensive.
If you have a free post at work, you are quids in !.
It's all sounding like a good idea all of a sudden @SC20
Listen, what is that I can hear - Oh, its the wheels in your head spinning already.
"Embrace the Technology".
GET A TEST DRIVE & JOIN THE CLUB !.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nothing with less than a 50kWh battery will come close to 130 miles from 80% charge. A 50kWh e280 or zoe would be the minimum you need, assuming you can maintain 3.5m/kWh (so not winter motorway driving). You're looking at £23,500 for the basic models on carwow.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Is that 130 miles daily without charging in between? Why the 80% limit? Most BEVs are Ok to go close to 100% charge if you are using them soon after charging.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you were buying a new/another ICE car what would your budget be and the TCO over the period of said ownership?

E.g
  • Cost to buy £17,000.
  • 10,000 miles per year at 40 MPG and £1.25 per litre = £1,418.75 per year
  • Depreciation averaged per year - £2,500
  • Maintenance and servicing £300 per year
Total cost over three years would be, £17,000 + £4,256 (fuel), and £900 (servicing) - value of car at the end £9,500 = £12,656.

Now do the same for a BEV (harder to be accurate with resale)
  • Cost to buy £25,000
  • 10,000 miles per year at 3mpkWh and 11ppkWh £367 per year.
  • Depreciation averaged at £2,500 per year
  • Maintenance and servicing £200 per year.
Total cost over three years would be £25,000 + £1101 (electrons), and £600 servicing - value of the car at the end £17,500 = £9,201

Difference in cost is £3,364, less the APR on the extra loan of £8,500 over three years is £524 at 4% APR over the three years.

If you do that calculation you might find it pays off to get a better/more expensive car, dependent on the variables you chose.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm not sure the ICE costs are that high - 40mpg is pretty poor, many old diesels will give 50+mpg, Hybrid would get around that or better and modern diesel might get toward 60mpg.

Plus you could probably get an nearly new ICE, say like a Ioniq hybrid for around £13k so the annual depreciation cost on an ICE is likely to be lower.

For the BEV, I reckon upfront depreciation would be higher over 3 years because if its costing £25k, then an annual depreciation of £2.5k and a life of say 10 years, would suggest the person buying it after those 3 years will be paying the same annual depreciation as someone buying it when it was 3 years younger, which doesn't make sense because it's an older, more worn car.

I've been doing the maths on getting an EV and have to say that compared against an efficient ICE, I calculate it as pretty marginal mostly because of the higher purchase price eating the fuel savings.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Plus you could probably get an nearly new ICE, say like a Ioniq hybrid for around £13k so the annual depreciation cost on an ICE is likely to be lower.
18-plate Plug-in Hybrid Ioniq is ~£20k-22k

I'm not sure the ICE costs are that high - 40mpg is pretty poor, many old diesels will give 50+mpg, Hybrid would get around that or better and modern diesel might get toward 60mpg.
I agree, but I am talking a petrol car, no one in their right mind would be buying a diesel car right now unless they were doing 20-30k per year, and the fuel savings outweighed the extra deprecation they are facing. I used 40 MPG as an achievable average across a 12 month period in all weathers, driving types, and vehicle options.

For the BEV, I reckon upfront depreciation would be higher over 3 years because if its costing £25k, then an annual depreciation of £2.5k and a life of say 10 years, would suggest the person buying it after those 3 years will be paying the same annual depreciation as someone buying it when it was 3 years younger, which doesn't make sense because it's an older, more worn car.
I read that 3 times but still don't get it? I based the deprecation on a 2016 Ioniq 28kWh car, which has lost around £7-8k in 3 years, and the new cost was ~£30k which is more than £25k.

·
Registered
232 Posts
An Ioniq Hybrid, ICE only, are going from £13k upward on Autotrader, the PHEV version starts around £18k.

Well millions of people are still buying diesels new and used but that aside, I used the example of the Ioniq Hybrid, which is petrol and should get around 50mpg to illustrate that if you compare against an efficient ICE it's pretty marginal.

For depreciation the reason I don't see it working is because your figures suggest it's going to depreciate at a constant rate through out its life because if starts at £25k and loses £7.5k over 3 years, it leaves the car at £17.5k, which if you say 7 years of remaining life (was it 2 or 3 years old already?) , works out at an average depreciation of £2.5k per year until it's scrapped.

That implies the person buying it as an old car will be willing to face similar depreciation costs to someone buying it nearly new, despite older cars generally being in worse condition and with likely higher maintenance costs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Seriously, it was an example. I also even stated deprecation averaged over the three years of ownership at £2,500 per year. I used a constant rate over the three years to keep it simple, why complicate matters by saying, £3,237 in year one, £2512, in year two and £1751 in year three? Or are you just being awkward?

Oh, your 18-plate Plug-in at £18,750 has 30k miles on it already, where the majority at 20-22k are 2,500 -10,000 miles, so using outliers not averages.

How about you provide a breakdown of average costs between some examples, rather than trying to poke holes in something you don't agree with based on your personal expectations, in case you missed it the first thing I said was "If you were buying a new/another ICE car what would your budget be and the TCO over the period of said ownership?"

How are you helping the OP? I am actually trying to offer some examples of where TCO becomes more important that just the upfront costs.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
For the BEV, I reckon upfront depreciation would be higher
I think you may be behind the times with your calculation. In 2016 when only the early adopters were buying BEV you could have had a used Zoe for about £5k. Now that BEV are more popular and supply is outstripping demand you won't be able to buy a cheap second hand BEV. In fact if you'd bought a 2016 22 kWh Zoe you'd now be in profit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts