Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed that my Model S just passed 21,000 miles yesterday.

IMG_20140925_172414 by dennis_p, on Flickr

This just means that my household is almost 12-13,000 miles away from 100,000 all electric miles.

The Model S is such a great car, just so inefficient compared to other EVs though (average for me is 310 Wh/mile (and that just went down by 1 Wh/mile since we picked up the car at the Fremont factory and drove it down in November 2013.))

For those that care, A) is since pickup at the Factory and B) is the current day's trip. I charge at the office.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I've not even managed 10% of that yet :)

Currently at 1800 miles in just over two months. Since owning the Tesla I have done 5000+ ICE miles though.

I'm currently running at a lifetime average of 340 Wh/mi. I'm getting markedly worse Wh/mi now it is <10c in the mornings. I can see on the graph it is much higher for the first 1-2 miles before settling down. This is probably hurting my average more than most, because I only do around 7 miles commute in total.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think I've done just over 6000 miles in my REx i3. Probably less than 250 have been on the REx.

If my shonky maths is right 320Wh/mi is 3.2 miles/kWhr. That's a fair rate of consumption. I've just done a 70 mile trip (that's a long way for us with more mundane EVs (nah - "slightly less awesome"; EVs are *never* mundane)) and clocked 5.3 miles/kWhr. OK, I wasn't fast and I had the aircon off - my long term average is only 4.5.

I've noticed the chillier mornings as well but the pre-conditioning makes a difference - certainly cabin comfort is better when it's toasty warm when you get in.

·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've not even managed 10% of that yet :)

Currently at 1800 miles in just over two months. Since owning the Tesla I have done 5000+ ICE miles though.

I'm currently running at a lifetime average of 340 Wh/mi. I'm getting markedly worse Wh/mi now it is <10c in the mornings. I can see on the graph it is much higher for the first 1-2 miles before settling down. This is probably hurting my average more than most, because I only do around 7 miles commute in total.
It is common for the car to use quite a bit more energy at the start of the drive... So, you do need a few. Ore miles to "flatten" it out.

I think I've done just over 6000 miles in my REx i3. Probably less than 250 have been on the REx.

If my shonky maths is right 320Wh/mi is 3.2 miles/kWhr. That's a fair rate of consumption. I've just done a 70 mile trip (that's a long way for us with more mundane EVs (nah - "slightly less awesome"; EVs are *never* mundane)) and clocked 5.3 miles/kWhr. OK, I wasn't fast and I had the aircon off - my long term average is only 4.5.

I've noticed the chillier mornings as well but the pre-conditioning makes a difference - certainly cabin comfort is better when it's toasty warm when you get in.
I averaged between 3.8 to 4.5 miles per kWh in my Active E (the BMW vehicle that is the predecessor to the i3 same battery and drive trains). However, I am in the much milder Southern California climate than the UK. Folks who drove the vehicle in colder weather do experience less range in colder climate and goes further when the weather warms up.

·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just noticed that my Model S just passed 21,000 miles yesterday.

IMG_20140925_172414 by dennis_p, on Flickr

This just means that my household is almost 12-13,000 miles away from 100,000 all electric miles.

The Model S is such a great car, just so inefficient compared to other EVs though (average for me is 310 Wh/mile (and that just went down by 1 Wh/mile since we picked up the car at the Fremont factory and drove it down in November 2013.))

For those that care, A) is since pickup at the Factory and B) is the current day's trip. I charge at the office.

I'd like to know what your range displayed it when you fully charge

·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to know what your range displayed it when you fully charge
Using the Rated Range (that's the US methodology, I think the UK uses different terms), 90% has been around 230-231 and a full range charge between 257-258. 24,381 miles at the end of the my first year.

When I switch to Ideal miles, the range charge was at 297-298 miles. It is important to note that when I picked up the car it range charged to 306 ideal miles, that's six miles above the 300 miles that's been advertised.

So if you're measuring battery degradation in ideal miles, that's approx. 1% in 24,000 miles and one year.

·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you - appreciate the reply. I'm only at 8K miles and I think my rated has dropped from 310 to 303 on a full charge.
310 ideal is good, so I 303.

Are you in a climate that experiences cold weather? That also takes a toll on your range.

I charge to 90% most often and schedule my charge to complete within an hour of my departure.

Then again, I'm lucky enough to have a parking spot with my own plug to use my UMC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts