Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 225 xe 3-pin Delphi charger has stopped working and it has been showing a blinking "ground present" and "charging fault". Any idea what might be the problem ? Any way it can be fixed/repaired ?

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
Sounds like it has an earth fault, have you tried plugging it into a different socket somewhere else?

It might not be the charger, it could be the socket you are using that has developed a fault.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I seem to recall that this fault has been reported before, and that someone has done a tear down to try and determine the cause. I'll do some digging around and see if I can unearth it, but I have a feeling that the problem related to water ingress, getting past the seal on the base plate of the unit. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find the stuff about these units and post back as soon as I have.

If you're anywhere near Salisbury I could have a look at it for you (for free), and at least determine what the fault might be (i.e. whether it's trying to communicate with the charger, whether there's a sensing fault, etc. Not hard to do basic diagnostics by simulating the vehicle handshaking and poking around to look at things like the CP signal and what's happening to the relays.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I tried several sockets in the house...
The fault it’s showing sounds like it not detecting an earth connection.

Have you tried a different charger? Do you know anyone else who has a granny charger you could try to make sure it’s the charger not the vehicle?

It could be any number of things, which county do you live in?

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
The "ground present" indication suggests that the earthing on the supply side is fine, at least as far as a charge point is able to determine this. The "charging fault" could be a number of things, but may well be associated with some issue with the Control Pilot signal that is used to do the handshaking between the charge point and the charger in the car.

Real bugger that you're miles away, as it would probably only take a few minutes to run some tests and see what the fault may be. Just a matter of plugging it in to a vehicle simulator box, running some very quick functional tests and perhaps having a look at the pilot signal to try and see what's going on.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
OK, been digging around, and although I can't find the tear down that I thought I'd seen a year or two ago, I have found several mentions of this fault being possibly caused by water ingress. If you have some Torx screwdriver bits you could try unscrewing the bottom panel from the box, to have a look to see if there is any indication of moisture getting into it. Even if you can't see anything obvious, it might be worth leaving it in a warm place for a few hours, with the base off, and then putting it back together to see if that's fixed the fault. If you're able to take photos of the inside and post them there might be some clues from those as to what the problem may be, although that's a bit of a long shot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My 225 xe 3-pin Delphi charger has stopped working and it has been showing a blinking "ground present" and "charging fault". Any idea what might be the problem ? Any way it can be fixed/repaired ?
there has bin a recall for the 3 pin charger, have you changed it already? ( changed mine last week, at my first major service/40k miles)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A called BMW and there is no recall for my car...For a diagnosis they asked 150£ !!! I tried to open it with Torx screwdriver but would not fit. Seems to have some strange type of screws.

·
Registered
743 Posts
A called BMW and there is no recall for my car...For a diagnosis they asked 150£ !!! I tried to open it with Torx screwdriver but would not fit. Seems to have some strange type of screws.
BMW’s customer service is woeful in my long and illustrious experience.

I had a 225xe for 12 months purchased approved used and had to jettison it to WBAC losing £5k in the process.

Mine had more gremlins than all 3 of the movies and had to have a new engine shipped from Germany because it blew up.

It spent 4 of the 12 months I owned it on the ramps at the dealer and they left me with no car for 12 weeks when the engine let go.

£150 is ridiculous, you can buy a new granny charger for not that more than that from Screwfix or evonestop.co.uk

Why are they charging you for a recall?

Please tell me this isn’t Stratstone! (Pendragon)

They are the worst car dealers out there!

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
391 Posts
Check if it's one of the recalled ones, all the earlier ones were on recall, mine was changed over to a brand new one (when I remember to take it that is)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts