Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it's quite new, it's a 2018 model.
I have used a lot of pulse and glide, very gentle on the pedal.
Maybe temperature also was helping , 20 °C , not too hot or too cold for the battery maybe.
On normal day path home->school->work->home i can reach 35-40 Km on a single charge very easily.

·
Registered
502 Posts
20 c is pretty much the optimum temperature and the 2018/19 model had a software upgrade that extended the battery range a bit. The 2020 model coming up is going to have an even larger capacity battery according to BMW’s press release (9 kWh) so should manage 57km in optimum conditions (perhaps even more if @Massimiliano is driving:D)

·
Registered
43 Posts
nice .. let's see if my 2017 model can get close to that when the weather is getting better ..

Yes it's quite new, it's a 2018 model.
I have used a lot of pulse and glide, very gentle on the pedal.
Maybe temperature also was helping , 20 °C , not too hot or too cold for the battery maybe.
On normal day path home->school->work->home i can reach 35-40 Km on a single charge very easily.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Last summer I managed 17 miles from start to finish on battery only, and arrived at our destination with about 9% remaining. MY2018 in around 18C ambient temps, on country roads cruising at about 45mph ish. That's the most I've ever managed

·
Registered
19 Posts
You’ll never get anywhere near full range if on a motorway.
What's the optimum speed for efficiency? In an ICE it is usually mid fifties as the car gets into its top gear and the revs are neither too high nor low.

We don't have revs or gears so how does 30mph, for example, compare with 40mph or 20?

·
Registered
129 Posts
What's the optimum speed for efficiency? In an ICE it is usually mid fifties as the car gets into its top gear and the revs are neither too high nor low.

We don't have revs or gears so how does 30mph, for example, compare with 40mph or 20?
Good question, but I think the distance is probably rated at town speeds of 30-40. Range drops off rapidly when you go faster.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've gotten 42km out of mine, you have to drive like a complete Granny though to do it. I live in a very hilly area so it's all about carrying momentum. If you have to stop at the bottom of a hill you're goosed. I keep the display on instantaneous battery usage, the key for me is to keep the consumption above 3km/kWh while accelerating. No aircon obviously.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good question, but I think the distance is probably rated at town speeds of 30-40. Range drops off rapidly when you go faster.
I drive about five miles each way along the A4/M4 each day. I go at 40, because that's the limit. If I were in an ICE car, I think I'd be getting better mpg at 40 than 30. If my dodgy maths is correct, I'd lose two minutes by driving at 30, but would I save battery?

As it stands, to go 12 miles into work and 12 miles home, I need a bit of a top up each night. I'm all about trying to reduce that need, or minimise the amount of ICE needed at the end of the run in.

So TC off, A/C off, accelerate gently, try not to brake etc. But could I save a few % by losing 10mph?

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes definitely .. specially if you have an occasional uphil driving ..
Quick experiment this morning.

Flat straight road, 20°.

Cruise control at 30mph was showing as between 11 and 12 kWh/100km. Cruise at 40 between 16 and 18 kWh/100km.

That's quite a significant difference. 40mph using almost 50% more battery than 30.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yup .. there's one time I had the ICE kick-in because of the short uphill when I'm pushing at 50 where if I stay at 30 or 40, it will stay full electric

Quick experiment this morning.

Flat straight road, 20°.

Cruise control at 30mph was showing as between 11 and 12 kWh/100km. Cruise at 40 between 16 and 18 kWh/100km.

That's quite a significant difference. 40mph using almost 50% more battery than 30.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can totally see where people are coming from, trying to eek out every last drop of battery range but...

A/C off, Traction off, eco pro & driving miss Daisy everywhere. That totally takes any fun & enjoyment out of the car for me. I'd much rather lose an extra mile or two or electric range but, at least enjoy the (relaxing cooled safe) driving experience getting from A to B

·
Registered
43 Posts
personally, I don't do it anymore .. I did that for about the first 2 months of having the car .. but it's good to know how to do it just in case you really need to do it ..

I can totally see where people are coming from, trying to eek out every last drop of battery range but...

A/C off, Traction off, eco pro & driving miss Daisy everywhere. That totally takes any fun & enjoyment out of the car for me. I'd much rather lose an extra mile or two or electric range but, at least enjoy the (relaxing cooled safe) driving experience getting from A to B

1 - 20 of 22 Posts