Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question for you 225xe owners out there.I'm thinking of buying one but have so far been put off by the auto tailgate.There have been reports of it randomly opening when no one has been near it.This is a bit of a concern living where I am as thieves need little invitation to break into cars(I've had mine damaged).Have any of you guys experienced this?And if so is there any solution?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a quick question for you 225xe owners out there.I'm thinking of buying one but have so far been put off by the auto tailgate.There have been reports of it randomly opening when no one has been near it.This is a bit of a concern living where I am as thieves need little invitation to break into cars(I've had mine damaged).Have any of you guys experienced this?And if so is there any solution?
Funny you should ask as that happened to me yesterday!!!

Ive had the car for 3 weeks with no problems but yesterday for no reason, the boot opened whilst i was at work. Luckily it was at work so the security guard gave me the heads up!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that's interesting if a bit worrying for yourself.I believe there's somewhere in the cars settings that you can opt that the tailgate will only open if the rest of the car is unlocked?That might stop it happening.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had it a few times, and always put it down to accidentally pushing the button on the key in my pocket, or sitting on the keys if they are in my back pocket.....

·
2018 Sport Premium with comfort pack
84 Posts
It has happenned to me but only ever when the keys have been in my hand or pockets so I assume it it gets pressed when I move!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Only other car I had with electric tailgate (V70) had the same issues. Its easy to depress the button without knowing about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It has happened to me on numerous occasions. I even came back once to a note on the windscreen to say that someone had found it open and closed it.
The sensor to stop it closing on anything is very sensitive so I think there have been times when the boot has been empty except for the charging cable, the cable is nowhere near the locking mechanism, I press the button for the boot to close, the lid touches the cable slightly, the boot lid lifts and I don’t see it.
All in all it is more of a hindrance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks for all your imputs. It's a shame that the auto tailgate is the only thing that puts me off buying what seems to be the perfect car for my needs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wouldn't let it put you off buying it, you get used to it after a while and the rest of the car more than makes up for it. It was driving me nuts at the start but I am more concious of it now. I always have a load of crap in the boot.
I had a habit of pressing the lock button on the tailgate and walking away without looking back to make sure it did not come back up. Now I just hang on a sec until it closes.
I have comfort access which is something I will never again be able to do without for everyday getting in and out and starting of the car. I make occasional use of the foot waving thingy but as I often work out of the boot l often trigger the close unintentionally. Disconcerting the first couple of times but now I just stop it by pressing the button on the tailgate.
Overall the tailgate is a mixed bag but I certainly would not let it put you off the car. My one is at the dealer for some warranty work (ironically indirectly related to the tailgate, had a tapping noise coming from where the tailgate hinge is mounted, turned out to me some missing/incorrectly applied body adhesive on a strengthening for the hinge mount) The dealer gave me a 318d loan car for the week. Great brakes but other than that, inferior in every way for me and my family. Averaging 39.3mpg for the week whereas my 225 would be way over 70 for the same usage. I had also forgotten how noisy and rattly diesels are in comparison, and I'm spinning wheels all the time pulling out of junctions where the 225Xe just puts its power down and goes. It's such a sleeper car😀

1 - 9 of 9 Posts