Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Press release from BMW below.

I make that 35 miles of range, and 43 grams co2 will move it from 16% BIK to 12% on the 2020/21 tax year. Now wonder when you can order them from!

In the BMW 225xe Active Tourer, state-of-the-art battery cell technology paves the way to further reduced consumption figures as well as an increase in the electrically powered range of more than 25 per cent to up to 57 kilometres*. While retaining the same dimensions as before, its lithium-ion battery now has a gross energy content that has been increased from 7.7 to 9.7. The combined fuel consumption of the BMW 225xe Active Tourer is at least 1.9 litres per 100 kilometres*, its combined power consumption is at least 14.7 kWh per 100 kilometres and its CO2 emissions level is at least 43 grams per kilometre*. The hybrid-specific all-wheel drive system contributes to the BMW 225xe Active Tourer's sporty and versatile driving properties. Its standard and optional fittings include numerous modern driver assistance systems as well as the current innovations in the field of intelligent connectivity and digital services – for increased convenience when charging the high-voltage battery and an even more intense electrical driving experience.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It certainly makes it a more attractive proposition, and is a good move for the 225xe.

Not sure what an “even more intense electrical driving experience” entails though, sounds rather alarming:D

·
Registered
502 Posts
so you can upgrade / replace our current battery with the new one ?
I think the announcement is that BMW are upgrading the battery pack for future production of the 225e. It might be technically possible to replace the battery on a current model but the cost would probably be prohibitive. Which is a pity.

·
Registered
502 Posts
In real world terms - currently get 16 miles off a full charge if lucky. +25% = 20 miles, nowhere near a big enough improvement :(
I think they’ve already squeezed a bit more out of the current battery by software changes on the 2019 models so 25% is presumably on top of that. If the real figure was north of 25 miles with 30+ in summer, this would make quite a difference to my fuel consumption. Actually I don’t see much benefit in going higher than that though, as the ice bit would be redundant weight for much of the driving time, might as well go full ev at that point, certainly in my own case.

·
Short term PHEV
561 Posts
Agree with your latter point.

Only had the car since Nov so not experienced summer range yet but winter has been as low as 12 miles off a full charge and realistically summer I'm expecting 20 miles driven normally and sensibly.

25% more gives a range of between 15 and 25 miles.

30 in winter and 40 in summer would have been my idea of the benchmark to get people into hybrids.

·
2018 Sport Premium with comfort pack
71 Posts
I spoke to BMW customer services today, the 225xe with the 9.7kw battary pack can be ordered from July 2019. I was on the verge of ordering one as a company car but will wait until July now as the BIK tax will drop.
Glad I came onto this forum.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Agree with your latter point.

Only had the car since Nov so not experienced summer range yet but winter has been as low as 12 miles off a full charge and realistically summer I'm expecting 20 miles driven normally and sensibly.

25% more gives a range of between 15 and 25 miles.

30 in winter and 40 in summer would have been my idea of the benchmark to get people into hybrids.
I’m getting a consistent and real 18 miles from the battery pack (2017 model) now the weather is warming up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I’m getting a consistent and real 18 miles from the battery pack (2017 model) now the weather is warming up.
Same here - although probably not today as the ambient is back to 5C! It always amuses me how much livelier electric driving is when the temps are above 12C, too

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spoke to BMW customer services today, the 225xe with the 9.7kw battary pack can be ordered from July 2019. I was on the verge of ordering one as a company car but will wait until July now as the BIK tax will drop.
Glad I came onto this forum.
My wife currently has one on order as a company car. The expected delivery date has been pushed back from June to September with a confirmed build date (but not sure when).
Do you know if an expected delivery date of 7 September 2019 would be a model with the upgraded battery as it makes quite a difference to the BIK.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My wife currently has one on order as a company car. The expected delivery date has been pushed back from June to September with a confirmed build date (but not sure when).
Do you know if an expected delivery date of 7 September 2019 would be a model with the upgraded battery as it makes quite a difference to the BIK.
That may be the reason why it's been put back 3 months - because of the battery upgrade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With less than a year to go on lease am starting to look at alternative PHEVs available. Not convinced yet that there is anything more suitable for me than another 225xe, particularly with a bit more e-range within same dimensions. This is good news.

·
Short term PHEV
561 Posts
It's not a bad car but I wouldn't have another one. For me a minimum 50 mile battery range in real world driving is the criteria if we go EV. 15 miles is just not enough and after 6 months I've started to wonder should I really need to think about plugging the car in after every journey?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you had any joy finding a PHEV with minimum of 50mile battery range? Looking at what’s available currently and for PHEVs with decent petrol engines, there isn’t an enormous amount of choice. I read that later in the year VW and Skoda will be launching new PHEVs. Think also that Mercedes are too, including PHEV B class. Ranges of around 30 miles seem to be mentioned. The Outlander has more e-range now but when not on electric it’s a massive lump and uneconomical for longer journeys. For a hybrid of similar/less cost and similar/better practicality I started looking at the latest Toyota Rav 4. However, concluded it looks horrible and the 225xe with better battery may well be best.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had an Outlander as a hire car in Sweden last week. Concluded that if I had been given one as a company car or had bought one without driving the 225Xe, I be would have been quite happy.
But the 225 Xe is better in every measure except raw boot volume and pure EV range. We averaged 33mpg for 900 km with charging every chance I got. The 225 would have been well over 50mpg on the same trip while being a way nicer drive.

With a 9.7kw battery the 225 would be almost perfect. I have gotten the full 25 miles out of my 2018.

I would seriously consider putting the new battery into my one in 2 years time. I drive cars into the ground so depreciation is not an issue. I specced mine just the way I want it. The biggest risk with EV is long term battery performance degradation. If I upgraded the battery 3 years in I would be almost certain to get 10 years out of the car with the same useful range I have now (which is just shy of being enough in the winter)

·
Short term PHEV
561 Posts
Have you had any joy finding a PHEV with minimum of 50mile battery range? Looking at what’s available currently and for PHEVs with decent petrol engines, there isn’t an enormous amount of choice. .
No nothing appeals at the moment. ipace and etron are the 2 cars I feel have reached the right level of finished product but too big, heavy, inefficient and expensive. If they start to offer something smaller lighter and cheaper in 12 months time I'll be interested. We have the 225 for another 12 months but other car needs to be replaced early next year, hoping one of the new 48v mild-hybrids e.g. VW or JLR will be a good step forwards.

Oh forgot to mention - really liked the Honda Urban concept, waiting to see how the production car shapes up when it is released in 2019/20.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had an Outlander as a hire car in Sweden last week. Concluded that if I had been given one as a company car or had bought one without driving the 225Xe, I be would have been quite happy.
But the 225 Xe is better in every measure except raw boot volume and pure EV range. We averaged 33mpg for 900 km with charging every chance I got. The 225 would have been well over 50mpg on the same trip while being a way nicer drive.
On the raw boot volume front, mine’s got roof rails so if I need more boot space for family holidays then I can put the roof box on. Only happens once or twice a year. I can put bikes on the roof if have passengers in the back. The rest of the time, the regular internal size of the car is fine for almost everything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did say raw volume because as you've pointed out, in day to day use it's fine.
I really like the sub floor storage and the 3 way fold seat back is a real enhancement. I've had 2 kids in the back while carrying dinghy masts between the seats. I couldn't believe that I was able to close the boot with the masts inside, thought I'd have to dig out the roof bars.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts