Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased 1 year old 225xe with 11,000 miles. Before I purchased the car i didn't know there is a coolant system for the battery, so I never checked to see what the level was.
After a few weeks of ownership I checked the coolant level of both the engine and battery. The engine coolant level was ok but the high voltage battery was just on the minimum level.
I went to a BMW dealer to buy anti freeze, I was quoted £50 for 5 litres! The guy in the parts department said just top it up with water to bring it back to to maximum level until the next service.

In the manual under the topping up section it says, Have the cause of coolant loss rectified as soon as possible. What I'm not sure about if there is a hole in the coolant system. Because I have topped it up the level with water (approximately 60ml water) until it's now half way between min and max. Driven and charged the car for a couple of more weeks and the level has remained the same.

Has anyone had to top up their car high voltage battery coolant?

Many thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just purchased 1 year old 225xe with 11,000 miles. Before I purchased the car i didn't know there is a coolant system for the battery, so I never checked to see what the level was.
After a few weeks of ownership I checked the coolant level of both the engine and battery. The engine coolant level was ok but the high voltage battery was just on the minimum level.
I went to a BMW dealer to buy anti freeze, I was quoted £50 for 5 litres! The guy in the parts department said just top it up with water to bring it back to to maximum level until the next service.

In the manual under the topping up section it says, Have the cause of coolant loss rectified as soon as possible. What I'm not sure about if there is a hole in the coolant system. Because I have topped it up the level with water (approximately 60ml water) until it's now half way between min and max. Driven and charged the car for a couple of more weeks and the level has remained the same.

Has anyone had to top up their car high voltage battery coolant?

Many thanks
where can you find the battery reservoir?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Here is the location. It is to the left of where the engine oil cover is. The screw on cover in my car is black. The whole reservoir is black so you need to open it to see the level indicator.

Mine was just on the minimum level.

The location number 2 is the coolant for the petrol engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts