Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My appologies as I'm sure that this has been bridged many times in the past but prior to getting my new company car I couldn't find any real world data and hope this helps even one person make a good decision.

I got my 225xe last month and I must be honest the mpg is absolutely rubbish on any kind of run.....

In real terms you will get less than 50 mpg if you do over 120 miles in one go on one charge no matter how you drive.

If you do short journeys where you can charge almost every stop they're great but on a long run they are far worse than the evil diesels they are meant to be replacing.

It goes well and has a nice spec but a small boot and takes an age to charge if you intend to use it for several 10 mile journeys a day on all electric.

I had a diesel VW before and it was delivering similar mileage on journeys upto 60 miles (without the need to or cost of charging) and around 15mpg better (without charging) on longer runs.

Tax man gets less petrol companies get more....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I noticed I didnt say how many mpg on the motorway cruising at 70.... at best 45mpg when you've used the charge

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And they dont come with a public charger cable which will cost you an additional £165 from bmw if you ever want to charge at the charging points in public which generally cost twice the ammount of charging at home

·
Registered
200 Posts
About 42 - 45mpg is what I get from my 2017 225 on a long motorway run (150+ miles). I used to get early 50s mpg from my previous Volvo V60 D4 turbodiesels. But the 225 is WAY punchier than either of them so it's quicker on the road, just as comfy and actually has a boot the same size.

The point of the BMW hybrids isn't economy at all costs - that's Toyota's job. It's a performance hybrid. Over my 2 years and 20K miles of ownership, I've averaged a genuine 50.2mpg (this is at the pumps, and includes the cost of charging at home, based on my current electricity tariff). That's better than ANY of my previous turbodiesel company cars has ever managed overall at the pumps - including a Passat PD130.

Admittedly, my commute is only an 8-mile round trip, so I can go for weeks without the petrol engine ever kicking in. But I don't think early 40s mpg is at all bad for a petrol car at motorway speeds. For comparison, my old 1999 Volvo V40 2.0T used to give me 33mpg on a long run, despite being 400kg lighter than the 225 and having less power (and not being anywhere near as quick on the road.

·
2018 Sport Premium with comfort pack
71 Posts
I use my 2018 225 for work, irregular length daily travel between 20 and 500 miles. Assuming that my future cars will hybrid or electric I had a home charger fitted so fully charged in 3 1/2 hours. I did a journey of 350 miles last week, charged when I left but no charge during the day and returned about 51 mpg. I'm not a fast driver, ave 66 to 68mph on the motorway and drive in ecopro mode. Must admit I usually use sport mode 3 or 4 times on a journey for the sheer enjoyment!
If I can charge at destination for the journey home I'd get over 55mpg for a similar journey. I also bought a type 2 charger for charging when working (if I can find a handy charger and that's not always easy).
It works for me as I own my car and get a few pence more per mile car allowance than my previous diesel for much the same mpg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have just taken on a Sept 2019 version 225xe, and did a 160 mile trip to Saffron Walden and 160 miles back, setting off with a full tank and full battery charge. Going, I proactively used Max Elec in urban stretches, and Save on Motorways. Battery was depleted about a mile from destination and I achieved an average 56 mpg travelling at 65 cruise control on motorway stretches. On the return journey I set off again with a full tank and full battery, and stuck it in Auto E Drive all the way. I arrived home with 7 miles battery range left, and an average 52 mpg. I am managing to do a more regular journey of 14 miles there and 14 back entirely on Max Elec, even with heating on at 20 deg... so that is pretty acceptable to me.

I chopped in an i3 rex to get it... I just thought that was too lightweight a car for mixing with lorries and vans on a 320 mile mostly motorway journey every week.

·
2018 Sport Premium with comfort pack
71 Posts
I tend to leave mine in Auto E drive in eco pro setting, if I can see that there are a few miles of battery power left nearing my destination I will go into Max eDrive to use it up

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have just taken on a Sept 2019 version 225xe, and did a 160 mile trip to Saffron Walden and 160 miles back, setting off with a full tank and full battery charge. Going, I proactively used Max Elec in urban stretches, and Save on Motorways. Battery was depleted about a mile from destination and I achieved an average 56 mpg travelling at 65 cruise control on motorway stretches. On the return journey I set off again with a full tank and full battery, and stuck it in Auto E Drive all the way. I arrived home with 7 miles battery range left, and an average 52 mpg. I am managing to do a more regular journey of 14 miles there and 14 back entirely on Max Elec, even with heating on at 20 deg... so that is pretty acceptable to me.

I chopped in an i3 rex to get it... I just thought that was too lightweight a car for mixing with lorries and vans on a 320 mile mostly motorway journey every week.

Hi Bill, did you get one of the 3rd Gen 9.7 kw battery cars?. If so what pure electric range are you showing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Bill, did you get one of the 3rd Gen 9.7 kw battery cars?. If so what pure electric range are you showing?

Yep, fully charged with nothing running shows 31 miles. Switch heating a/c on @ 21 deg shrinks that to 27... As I said I have a 28 mile return journey which was all electric... on a mild day mind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, fully charged and with nothing running it shows 31 miles range. Switch on the heater &/or A/c and that drops to 27.... As I said I am managing a 28 mile round trip all on Max E it has been mild so far!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts