Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I purchased a used bmw 225xe in May that had covered 13000 miles (6000 of which were on electric according to the connected drive app) so it’s engine is in theory barely run in!

I had to call bmw assist yesterday to have the car recovered because it came up with a drivetrain error and went into limp mode and is making a terrible racket they have told me it sounds like turbo failure has anyone else had any reliability issues with the plugin BMW’s or have I just been unlucky?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi and welcome, and sorry to hear about your problem.

The 225 seems to have been reliable according to posts on here, certainly as far as the petrol engine goes. How old is yours? The same petrol engine is also used extensively across the conventional 1- and 2-series cars, and in the Mini range, so there are many, many thousands of cars with this motor.

The consolation is, if it is the turbo that has failed (or whatever the problem turns out to be), it's the job of the dealer that you bought the car from to sort it out. If it's a BMW approved used car, it will be under their warranty (it sounds like this is the case if you've got BMW Assist).

Hope BMW sort it for you without quibble, but just in case, remember that consumer law states that any fault that develops within six months of you purchasing the car (whether new or used) is assumed to have been present at the time of purchase. In which case, the supplying dealer has to fix it, or refund you minus the period of time you've had the car. So don't take any crap from them about 'driving style' or 'wear and tear', unless the fault is found to be a large object that punched a hole in the radiator / sump or similar.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I’ve heard about this problem in the 330e but, not so much in the 225xe.

As Craig said, it will certainly be covered by the warranty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys

Thanks for your replies, yes thankfully it is an approved used car from the main dealer and still has a years warranty (which I will be extending at the end having now had this experience)

It is just over 2 years old now, bmw assist have lent me a brand new 225xe as a courtesy car and having driven it for 24 hours now I’ve noticed that they have altered the software that controls the hybrid system.

Specifically with mine if you forget to engage MAX eDrive when you depart with a fully charged battery and use a little too much throttle when pulling out of a junction in comfort mode and the engine fires you can then press the e drive button and immediately shut the engine down.

With the new one I have now in this scenario it disables MAX eDrive for several miles until the engine has completed its warmup cycle!

Go figure! Is this to protect the engine? ?

It’s comforting that my engine is tried and tested in other models but it’s application in the plugin hybrid differs in that the first time the engine is fired in the hybrid could be when you are accelerating up a slip road to join a motorway.
So it’s asked to deliver high performance from cold in an instant.

I know from reading an article that when Audi developed their e-Tron range they had to do extensive re-engineering work on their engines to harden them to such punishment!

I’ll update you on mine once it’s been through diagnostics, it will be interesting to see if it is returned with a software update that makes it work the same as the new one! ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I got mine new in July 2017, and the Max eDrive function on mine works as you describe for your car (i.e. not the courtesy car). The difference you describe with the courtesy car is interesting.

Apart from a lone 'check engine' light recently, mine has been 100% reliable (the light came on just before its first service, but no fault code was stored, so it's been put down as a phantom glitch - it had no impact on driveability).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine is well over 62000 miles and has been mechanically reliable, perhaps because I do long trips and the engine has chance to have a good run. I was in a facelift 2019 car a few weeks ago, when the fuel flap failed on mine, and that acted the same way as my 2017 car. i,e, Max E drive works as you would expect, the engine dosnt fire until the battery has been exhausted, you use kick down, hit 78 mph, or the traction control kicks in.

Its in interesting question though. I'm looking at the Mercedes 300 De Diesel Plug in Hybrid to replace the 225xe. At the moment they are much the same price on the company scheme. According to the spec it has a dpf and has a 30ish mile range. So on my drive to work the engine will only fire a couple of times, what is that going to do to the dpf? No chance to burn the soot off......

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
577 Posts
our car is 8 mths old and only done 3500 miles. It had to go back to the dealer about 4 mths ago to have the fuel tank vent replaced. Other issues I've had are electrical both really annoying.

1. occasionally when setting off and moving the gear lever into R or D it brings up the 'P has not been selected' error message and refuses to budge. Only way to remedy this is to switch the car off totally wait a few seconds and then start all over again.

2. this has only happened once thank god, but one trip last week the voice command system triggered itself repeatedly for half an hour on the motorway. After pulling over and switching off everything it hasnt happened again since.

·
Registered
52 Posts
our car is 8 mths old and only done 3500 miles. It had to go back to the dealer about 4 mths ago to have the fuel tank vent replaced. Other issues I've had are electrical both really annoying.

1. occasionally when setting off and moving the gear lever into R or D it brings up the 'P has not been selected' error message and refuses to budge. Only way to remedy this is to switch the car off totally wait a few seconds and then start all over again.

2. this has only happened once thank god, but one trip last week the voice command system triggered itself repeatedly for half an hour on the motorway. After pulling over and switching off everything it hasnt happened again since.
Issue 1 occurs when you put it into gear too quickly after start up. Happened to me a lot at the start. You have to wait until the ready sign comes up before you put it in gear. Goes from regular occurrence to zero when you don't rush it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got mine new in July 2017, and the Max eDrive function on mine works as you describe for your car (i.e. not the courtesy car). The difference you describe with the courtesy car is interesting.

Apart from a lone 'check engine' light recently, mine has been 100% reliable (the light came on just before its first service, but no fault code was stored, so it's been put down as a phantom glitch - it had no impact on driveability).
Hi sorry for the long delay Derby BMW have only given me my car back this evening! (on a brighter note I have got to put 1500 miles of wear and tear on their loan vehicle, not mine, silver linings and all that !!).

Here is what has happened, the "drive train error" turns out to be caused by a faulty sensor lurking somethere, this has now been replaced.

My turbo issue was indeed a failing unit which has also been replaced, in fact they havent just replaced the turbo they have also replaced every hose and connection that coupled it to the engine, the lady that handed my car back gave me a rather lengthy printout which itemised the bits they have replaced which totalled £2700.

She cheerfully said that this was for the parts and their labour was not itemised on my report!!

Thank god it was under warrantee!

I cant yet report whether my software has altered as I have only driven it home and its HV battery was flat when they handed it back.

It does however now sound exactly like the loan 225 they gave me now so im optimistic that all is now well.

One interesting thing is that they seem to have pressed reset on many things because I have plugged it in this evening and the connected drive app has told me that its got 27 miles of electric range now its fully charged!

Prior to this even on a balmy evening it was displaying 20/21 miles.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I accidently press the wrong post button and have posted a reply on Craig's comment not the main thread please see my update above.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's good they sorted it all for you without hassle. Turbo failures are rare on these engines, so I'd suspect yours was just a one-off problem. Enjoy your rejuvenated car!

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi Craig

I've noticed you now more about BMW 225xe.we recently bought, sport model 2016 67k on the clock. we noticed however when the engine is running and you are outside you can hire like a rattle coming from the exhaust pipe.whant to now is this is ok or the noise from exhaust should be quiet? want to know if there is a problem with the possible engine.
there are no warning light or any other warning as far as I'm aware.

can anyone let me know if this sporty sound is ok or not?

thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi Craig

I've noticed you now more about BMW 225xe.we recently bought, sport model 2016 67k on the clock. we noticed however when the engine is running and you are outside you can hire like a rattle coming from the exhaust pipe.whant to now is this is ok or the noise from exhaust should be quiet? want to know if there is a problem with the possible engine.
there are no warning light or any other warning as far as I'm aware.

can anyone let me know if this sporty sound is ok or not?

thank you
Hi Vio

It depends what you mean by rattle.
The 3 cylinder engine in the 225 always sound a little lumpy at idle and the exhaust note is a bit harsh especially when they have just been started from cold.

I guess I’ve just kind of got used to it but when I first got the car I did wonder if they are supposed to sound like that.

It could be that the baffles that have come loose in your exhaust, is it a metallic rattling sound?

if the baffles were loose though i would have thought you would be able to hear it at any revs not just at idle.
You would also be able to hear it while driving it, I had a clio 172 years ago that had this issue ind it drove me mad!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, as said above, the 3-cylinder engine in the 225 does have a distinctive sound and it does sound quite 'sporty', especially when the engine starts up for the first time from cold. Can you record a video on your phone and post on Youtube, then we can listen to it?

The other thing is, BMW put a whole lot of metal heat-shielding above the exhaust to insulate the body (the exhaust gets VERY hot). If you look under the rear of the car, you will easily see it. Some of that heat shield could be loose and rattling a little.

Reactions: vio88

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi thank you for the response, yeah you may be right, after 30 seconds that sound is keen to go lower till is just roaring like suppose it should be.
anyway, can you check as well my video and share your opinion. also, I will take it to a BMW service to be checked for my peace of mind

thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi thank you for the response, yeah you may be right, after 30 seconds that sound is keen to go lower till is just roaring like suppose it should be.
anyway, can you check as well my video and share your opinion. also, I will take it to a BMW service to be checked for my peace of mind

thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

thank you
I recorded mine from cold this morning. It sounds exactly the same as yours when I play it back on my phone.

I think your exhaust note is normal for a 225.

They do sound a bit harsh when started cold.
I’ll see if I can post the video for you to compare.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Agreed, nothing wrong with either car. It's just the characteristic 3-cylinder 'thrum'

1 - 20 of 52 Posts