Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to switch to full ev by switching my 2018 225xe with a 2017 ampera e.

Should I?

The cons is that it's an older car and not BMW. But the range would cover 85% of my travels and the fast charging would make the other 15% manageable. And it's on the same dimension as the 225xe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I'm not sure they are directly comparable.

For me, you drive a PHEV when your mix of driving means you can't have a BEV or you are hung up on range anxiety. You appear to be beyond both these issues.
The 225Xe adds 4wd to that equation. If this is important to you then a 2wd BEV can't replace it.
You appear to be ready for a BEV so the issue will come down to whether you will be satisfied with driving an Opel versus a BMW. I know it would take a lot of car to tempt me out of my 225 but then I specced it for me, less toys and I might be more easily swayed. If you are in a basic 225 then the Ampera may be a step up spec wise so that might be a win win for the Opel.
The Ampera is a fair bit smaller than the 225, my one hang up with the beemer is that I could have done with a bigger boot, it's fine, bigger than the Prius it replaced but I certainly would not like to have any less.

I always go on that ideally BMW should have used the Grand Tourer chassis instead of the Active. If they stuck the back end of the AT onto the chassis of the GT you would have had a better proportioned car, bigger battery, bigger boot, bigger fuel tank for a very small weight increase. Perfect car for me?

Anyway, just my thoughts
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top