Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Folks,

I have seen on Zap Map that the Tesco stores which have 22kw chargers are actually free, can anyone verify if this is correct?

The only Tesco's local to me have the 7kw which are great, but when we travel away there are a couple of 22kW ones on our journey and near our destination, which could come in quite handy.

Thanks for your help!

Dean

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You appear to have a Model 3. Remember that AC Charging is limited by your car's onboard charger. In the case of a Model 3, that's a max of 7kW single phase, or 11kW three phase. You need to use DC Rapid charging to get faster rates.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You appear to have a Model 3. Remember that AC Charging is limited by your car's onboard charger. In the case of a Model 3, that's a max of 7kW single phase, or 11kW three phase. You need to use DC Rapid charging to get faster rates.
Yeah sorry should have explained we'll be using the wifes Zoe for those journeys.

·
Premium Member
11,658 Posts
I didn't think many Tesco had 22kWh points. Where are they?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
156 Posts
I didn't think many Tesco had 22kWh points. Where are they?
There is one close to my place (Tesco Superstore Fareham) and apart from 7kW and 22kW chargers they have CCS/CHAdeMO 50kW too. All on free vend (i.e. podpoint app needed).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
They say relying solely upon supercharging is bad for batteries, does this theory also apply to rapid charging? (Upto maybe 50kw for example?)
Depends on your car. If your car doesn't have a problem with the battery overheating (definitely NOT a LEAF for example) it should be ok, as long as you still do one or two full charges a month over AC to help with cell balancing, and do the usual things to avoid battery wear like leaving the car with a very high or low state of charge for a long time.

With the above, you may still be doing some harm, but not anywhere near as significant. Ideally you want to use AC as much as possible still however.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Trip up to Stoke on Trent yesterday from Clutton, South of Bristol. Family bereavement. 288 mile round trip. Zoe R240. Left home full charge showing 82 mile GOM. Tesco Cheltenham, Gallagher Retail Park, Wednesbury, Tesco, Newcastle Rd, Stoke. Return journey same stops in reverse. All free Pod Point 22 kWh. Last leg from Cheltenham 52 miles (95% charge). Home with 37%. Generally 64 mph M5/ M6. Plenty of plan B/C. Genie Point, Osprey, Morrisons and Lidl. Fuel cost about £5 for charging at home. I'll happily pay for reliable charging on a journey but if free with Toilets and snacks available all the better.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
156 Posts
Just an update to my earlier post re 7, 22 and 50kW chargers at Tesco. Actually 50kW is not free but £0.27/kWh. Free are only 7 and 22kW ones.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pretty much every EV has a buffer above 100% and below 0% to keep you from seriously harming the battery pack. Leaving the car at 100% is more like leaving it at 92%-ish in actual fact. Running it to 0% is more like running it down to 5-8%. No reason to concern yourself with it. People who tell you "keep it between 20% and 80%!" are obsessive micromanagers :D

As long as you let it cell balance reasonably often (even once a month) I doubt you are going to see any noticeable degradation from always charging on a rapid. Unless, of course, you own one of those terrible Leafs without battery cooling.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
156 Posts
I have just found some useful link where I hope info of new Tesco chargers is/will be provided:

Reactions: E7EV and Chris P.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm not sure i 100% agree... but probably 80% agree.

I doubt rapid charging is as good for the battery as mid-pace (7kw).

Unless its a leaf its unlikely to wreck it, but its also not great for it.

I'd always try and use a 7kw when you can, and just rapid when you have to

·
Registered
Kona64
1,874 Posts
Btw
the advert big board posts at these Tesco 3types sites are 7kw
the stumpy post tends to have the 22kw sockets - pull up to those if your vehicle can take higher than 7 on AC , and have a look at the top of the stumpy post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts